Thursday, May 27, 2010

Changeless by Gail Carriger

...The repulsive Channing person looked like he might actually try to touch her.
Alexia hauled off and hit him, hard, with her parasol, right on top of his head.
Everyone in the courtyard stopped what they were about and turned to look at the statuesque lady currently engaged in whacking their third in command, Woolsey Pack Gamma, commander of the Coldsteam Guards abroad, with a parasol.
The major's eyes shifted black about the rim of each iris, and two of his perfect white teeth turned pointed.
Werewolf, was he? Well, Alexia's... parasol was tipped with silver for a reason. She walloped him again, this time making certain the tip touched his skin. At the same time, she rediscovered her powers of speech.
"How dare you! You impudent" - whack - "arrogant" - whack - "overbearing" - whack - "unobservant dog!" Whack, whack. Normally Alexia wasn't given to such language or unadulterated violence, but circumstances seemed to warrant it....

Ms. Gail Carriger does it again with her second novel, Changeless , starring none other than the illustriously wonderful Alexia Tarabotti and her marvelous parasol. After I finished Soulless, the first in the series, I could do nothing other than race to the nearest bookstore and purchase my very own copy (as the library was sorely lacking) of Carriger's Changeless.

I immediately began digging into the yummy little paperback of Victorian Steampunk, "vampires, werewolves, and dirigibles". A most excellent collection of characters consume this urban fantasy novel and if given the option, I would like most to jump head first into 1870 Great Britain as long as I were to have Lord Akeldama hosting me with tea and his drone Biffy, a connoisseur of all things lovely, available for fashion advice.

I was much depressed at my inability to finish the book in one sitting, but the weekday hodgepodge forced my submission and I was finally able to finish it up this morning in the closet around 10:00 a.m. Upon finishing, I was rather disheveled and upset and for the life of me I do not know what to do with myself until Blameless, the next in the series, is out in September (although if the gossip can be trusted it is to be most wonderful).

All I can say is Carriger, you naughty little female, you have done me in with your most suspenseful plot and endearing characters, but why oh why must you torture me with your turn of events cliffhanger? It has suffused me with outright indignation and utter vexation at Alexia's latest predicament for although Lord Maccon has had a place in my heart, I feel as though I must fling him henceforth into an abyss...the brute!

I will say no more, as it would be a shameful disaster to give away any of the deliciousness found within the 374 pages. My last words on the matter are, readers of Changeless may want to clear their schedules before they begin Carriger's novel because if it leaves you anything like it left me, you will find yourself wide eyed and breathless throughout!

Rating: 4.5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

P.S. As this beautifully covered book is mine, my kisses now cover the book from spine to front cover to back cover and maybe even a few of the pages between.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the "in the closet" explanation. I can so see you reading in the closet. It cracks me up. Hopefully I'll be able to read a few of these that you've recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how you say you are kissing the book. I just thought of that for the title of the book blog. Maybe?

    Great review. I will be able to discuss a little bit soon. I grabbed it off the shelf and will be opening the book tonight! :)

    PS... I read in the basement. That is where my make shift library is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl! I was so excited to hear from you. It's the little things I'm tellin you. I do look pretty silly squished between the laundry basket and the ironing board. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyss, can't wait til you read it. I'm going to have to mope for awhile about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review!! too bad i just ordered my books or id put this one on the list too...hmmm kissing the book...interresting

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sight? I bet after awhile it gets a bit comfy.

    I had to throw away my comfy love seat that I read on not too long ago when we had a flood in the basement. Now several places to read but none are as nice. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my lovely,

    Thanks so much for helping out and posting a fun review of Changeless at Steampunkery & Book Reviews. It seems to going just wonderful over there.

    Love this review as well :)

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails