Saturday, May 22, 2010

I finally made it through...Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

Today I finally finished the book Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, although I had to keep it a day past its due date ($0.25 down the drain). I keep trying to think how to best tell you all my feelings on this book. I guess I could start by saying that my feelings did change slightly from what they were before (to see my initial feels click here). I did end up liking this book. I don't think I would recommend it to anyone, really, but I can say that I didn't hate it and it was better than okay.

The writing didn't get any better, there were still atrocities to the English language present, but the story line did get better. I think one of the things that was difficult for me throughout the book was that the particular subject matter it is telling it's readers about is supposed to be very emotional. Well, at least I imagine as much because how can one talk about the terrible things that happened during that time and not feel something for those who had to go through it. That was where the difficult part came in because I didn't feel any of that emotion. Yeah, I felt sad for the characters and the hardships they had to endure as I'm sure most do, but I didn't really feel anything for the characters themselves. The story was told from a very distant 3rd person point of view. There wasn't even a quotation mark in the whole book (which was dreadfully confusing and annoying) so sometimes I wasn't sure if someone was thinking or speaking. The lack of emotion made the characters seem way too 2-dimensional and almost unreal.

On a brighter note, the story line was interesting once I reached halfway through the book and once I'd made it to page 300 I did end up wanting to finish instead of dreading it. I did appreciate the author sticking with the character of Anna and not changing her to appease her audience.

If anyone does decide to read this book though, I would warn you, I would rate it "R" if it were a movie because it has quite a bit of sensuality (to say it nicely) and some violence (but more sensuality).

I'd give this book:

3 out of 5 stars

--J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails