Saturday, May 15, 2010

Shiver - By Maggie Stiefvater

I belong to a couple online book groups (more fuel for the - book obsession - fire) and our group read announcement for the month of May was just released at the end of April. This was one of the two picks.

Now, you have to understand something about me. My favorite genre is YA (yes, I know I'm a 26 year old mother of two *shrugs shoulders*), specifically fantasy/scifi. The problem with this is that a lot of the books in that particular genre tend to be along the same lines, just with different characters. So, that being said, I'm always on the lookout for different books with stories I haven't heard before. Something different, something new. (Okay, thats not to say I won't read anything that has a similar plot line, but it does indeed depend...)

I remember skimming the synopsis for Shiver and seeing the word "wolf" and moving on to the next book.

Big Mistake.

I'm very glad I went back and re-read the synopsis when my book group came out. This book turned out to be something different and something new (it also turned out to be something borrowed (library book) and something blue *winks right eye*).

That evening after checking it out, I'd squished myself in between the ironing board (which, yes, I keep in my bedroom closet) and the door to the closet with a pillow between me and the wall. It was about 10:00 p.m. when I was finally able to start. I made it halfway through the 392 page book before I had to give into the evil sleep monster.

I finished it two days later, which was when I decided on 3 things:

1. This definitely makes my Top 10 best books I've ever read
2. Maggie Stiefvater is now one of my Top 5 favorite authors (I'd top 3 even)
3. I must now go out and buy a copy for my closet library

Stiefveter tells the story from a double first person narrative, alternating between the 2 main characters points of view. This, I think, above all else helps the beautiful development of Grace & Sams' characters (that and possibly her sweet writing skills :P).

Grace: Strong, Independent, Smart...thoughtful
Sam: Sweet, Intellectual, Loving, Sensitive...wolfy :P

It was a nice change to meet a girl character who wasn't always questioning herself and someone who wasn't always whining about - everything. Sam though, he was a breath of fresh air. He was so... aware... caring, sweet, and even though it sounds contradictory, unaware of his wonderfulness.

I loved the unique story line of boy turned wolf in wintry cold and wolf turned boy in warm summery goodness. I loved the authors tone, her words. How she could make me feel like I was sitting there with Sam and Grace, feeling everything they were feeling. It was so beautiful, so eloquent, so real.

I cried.

Shiver was creative and alluring, pulling me into the plot making me never want to let go.

I will in fact be putting this book on my to re-read list. If you haven't read it...

YOU MUST.

5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm on goodreads with you and thought I would check out your blog. It is awesome... love the way you have everything set up. I'm currently reading shiver and plan to read Soulless very soon! Thanks for the great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you decided to check it out! I am entirely addicted to everything books and couldn't help myself :D

    I'm in the middle of Changeless (the sequel to Soulless). I'll post that review as soon as I finish. Hopefully soon!
    --Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book too!! Great blog, and great review. Check out my profile in Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2053190

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails