Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Where am I now?

Two days ago while sitting so patiently at the ophthalmologists office, wondering if my left eye could be saved, I started the book I so long ago placed on my to be read list - Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (as stated 2 posts ago). Now, this book has been raved about on several sights getting no less than 4 stars as an average rating. Plus, the library had 14 holds on the book when I placed my reservation for it and another 14 when it was my turn to pick it up.

It happens to be a historical fiction novel of World War II told, nonetheless, from a German woman's perspective rather than the alternative. Usually, books of this particular genre do nothing other than grab me by the neck and pull into their depths, trying to keep there until I pass out from fatigue. However, this book has not done so.

I am 151 pages into it and I do plan on finishing it (although I only have til the 21st), but I'm not as stoked as I once was at the thought of quietly sitting in my closet and devouring the inky words. I do not like to not finish books, even if I don't like them. In fact, there was a rather lengthy tome of 1,000 pages I had with me while I was out of the country in 2008 and even half way through I didn't like it. I couldn't give up the fight though, there had to be more to a 1,000 page book then what I had already read otherwise, why would it be published? I was dreadfully wrong. Shortly after finishing the book, I was so deeply disgusted I asked Husband to throw it in the dumpster as I couldn't do it myself and no other soul should have to read it.

This book is not anywhere as bad, but no feelings of excitement are elicited from me at the thought of continuing. I think I would mostly relate it to a wordy writing style with too many extra details and phrases that for the life of me I cannot understand. EXAMPLE: "Then she hurries from the bedroom, this time for good, her breath coming and going in ghosts." Coming and going in ghosts? What does that even mean?

Anyway, I know that sometimes a reader can feel differently at the end of a book than they do in the middle, so I will finish it and see if I come into different feelings on the matter.

--J

(p.s. my eye was indeed saved and is now working well)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails