Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I actually started this book a couple nights ago in my closet. Just looking at the cover I got like this ominous feeling in the pit of my stomach and although I knew exactly where it came from, which let me tell you is most certainly decaying zombies, it did not stop me from wanting to immediately flip the cover and dig in.

The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan is the second in the series of The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It is technically labeled a companion novel of the 1st, but as it is a continuance of the first, just thirty years later, we will say it's the sequel.

Our main character Mary from The Forest of Hands and Teeth, is still in this, but it is told from a different person's point of view. Our main character's named Gabrielle, and let me tell you that I love her so much more than Mary. She is everything Mary wasn't and so much more. I would say the biggest trait difference could be attributed to her being less selfish and obsessed about the unknown and bodies of water and more so about the people she cares about and keeping them safe. Now of course since the book does take place thirty years later we have several new characters. There is Catcher and Cira who are brother and sister and friends of Gabrielle. Then, we have my favorite character *drum roll* Elias!

Elias is our mysteriously tough, I can and will protect all, character. We know something is going on with him from the get go, because why on Earth would some random guy be wandering around in the forest when zombies are afoot? To Elias, there are more important things, like possibly finding what he lost...hmmm. Still, I'm entranced by him and his intense personality and all that he brings to the story.

This book, the 2nd of Ryan's novels published, I loved oh so much more than the first. It was everything the first was missing and Gabrielle was such an amazing character. Maybe it was because I could relate to her so much more than Mary with her love for others taking priority in her life even though she was scared of everything around her. She didn't quite know where she fit in, but that didn't stop her from doing what had to be done in a time of killer mudo aka zombies who would love nothing better than to sink their teeth into her beautiful flesh.

Still, with all that, I was scared to death. I think I'm going to have to start my own little book commandments, like thou shalt not read zombie lore in the dark of the night.

Ryan did however, do an amazing job with her 2nd novel and although it left off with a most suspenseful cliffhanger of which I am very worrisome over, her characters where wonderful and I loved most of them wholeheartedly. And, with her additions of superhero necklaces, knives & scabbards, Soulers, hordes, hot men(temperature wise) and fall of a cliff love, she has me wrapped around her inky fingers.

I don't know if I will be able to wait an entire year for the 2011 publication of the next book The Dark and Hallow Places, but as I have no choice I will do it. This book was totally worth it and I am contemplating rereading it. For all those who were turned off by The Forest of Hands and Teeth, you should give The Dead Tossed Waves a chance, as it is beyond better and most definitely worth the read

4.5 out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails