Friday, June 4, 2010

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

As anyone knows who has read my review of Shiver, I am an absolute crazy fan of Maggie Stiefvater. I therefore decided that I would read her 2 other published books whilst I wait for Linger to come out in July.

So, yesterday while I was waiting at a clients office I pulled out this little divine black paperback, Lament also by Maggie Stiefvater. I had been thinking about it ever since I finished up The Forest of Hands and Teeth, looking for something a bit happier to perk up my spirits.

I was not disappointed! Not only did it deter me from mangled zombies, but it also made me laugh. I loved the main character Deirdre and her development from push over to pusher. She definitely seemed like someone I would befriend... well, that is if I lived surrounded by harpists, flutes and homicidal faeries. However, as I don't I will have to remain content to read about her and her most wonderful love interest Luke.

Luke. What a wonderful name, don't you think? Just kind of rolls off your tongue. Like no description necessary, sexiness implied (which he was by the way *wink*). Though they were 2 wonderful characters, my favorite character of all was by far Deirdre
s best friend James.

James you sweet, snarky boy you! I think one of my all time favorite parts (but only semi important) was when Deirdre asked him when he got so smart and he replied thus:

He tapped his forehead. Brain transplant. They put in a whales. Im passing all my classes with my eyes closed now, but I just cant get over this craving for krill. He shrugged. And I feel sorry for the whale that got my brain. Probably swimming around Florida right now trying to catch glimpses of girls in bikinis.

What can I say, Im a sucker for funny sarcasm.

Now, in my opinion it wasnt anywhere near as wonderful as Shiver for which I carry an unabashed adoration for, but it did push many of my Jen buttons with its little white rabbits, cemeteries, iron keys, freckly freaks, harps and a particularly nasty bull whipping. Nonetheless, I would have wished for some extra explanations and some heartfelt revenges. Other than that, maybe a bit more of James the piper (he played the bag pipes whilst he wore a kiltgrrrrruff ;-D) But, all over I really enjoyed it and it was definitely worth my time. Love you Maggie!!

3 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails