Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

So I am sure that everyone has jumped on the Bree Tanner bandwagon long before I have being that today is June 10th, but it couldn't be helped. I did the best I could with having to read the book online at the www.breetanner.com website with the oh so tiny font. Yes, I do realize that I could enlarge the page, but that meant scrolling and that just turned out to be annoying. So I opted for squinting...

Too bad it wasn't in PDF format like her Midnight Sun novel, that would have been so much easier to read.

But, back to my topic of the new novella. Bree Tanner is an off shoot of a very very minor character in the third of Meyer's novels, Eclipse. I thought it interesting that she even chose to write an off shoot of this particular character being that she is so small she is basically forgotten after she appears. But, Stephenie Meyer has definitely always written to the beat of her own drum so I'm really not that surprised.

Still, I don't really know how I feel about this book yet. Yes, I've finished it, but when I was reading it, it just felt different.

Yes, different.

How different?

I think I would attribute it to the main character, Bree Tanner, and her interesting point of view. She is a newborn vampire in the nightlife of Seattle, Washington trying to survive the atrocious killer personalities of the other vampires in her coven.

Now, I don't want to give away too much info just in case anyone reading this post hasn't picked up any of her other novels and doesn't have a clue who Bree is (Although, I wouldn't recommend reading this book if you haven't read Meyer's other novels) or how Meyer's vampires are, but I will do my best. Bree's character is unique as are her thoughts & speech. Yes, I know, people have different thoughts (duh!), but sometimes characters aren't as different as the author would have you believe because said author wrote them too similar. Here though, its as if Meyer's writing style changed because her character did. It's character delineation at it's finest and although it's different, I've decided I'm glad! I'm glad because it makes Bree more real. She isn't some Bella clone, she is Bree Tanner, vampire at large!

I can however say, that Meyer's mind astounds me completely. I think her creative facets are so intriguing that I wonder where she comes up with this stuff. Its fantastic! I love how you find out all these little facts that make the main novel(s) clearer. We know as the reader that there are all these underlying stories from the other characters that we are missing, but we don't pay any attention to those when we are focused on our narrator. And then we get a taste of some of the little sub stories like Midnight Sun and The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and it helps fill in the blanks. You know what I mean? Like it feeds the gaps in the mind that it has been yearning after for so long. I love those - the little bits that make the whole even more whole!

Bree Tanner definitely did that. It definitely brought it around and showed that Victoria was ludicrously insane and that some people are just more evil than others. It showed that Carlisle will always be the kindest caring thing in existence and that maybe that guy in the corner isn't as freaky as you think. It explained to us of vampire kisses and an incredibly amazing place to hide a dead body. Plus, it was a side of Meyer I hadn't really seen before. I know she isn't too much into violence, but there were some graphic scenes, one involving the crushing of a windpipe and another with the ripping apart of a woman, it was wonderfully dark and fun!

I suppose over all, I mostly enjoyed the book. I think I will reread an actual copy though and see if I feel more for it. For now though, I would say read it to help expand your Twilight horizons and bring the story to an illuminating light!

4 out of 5 Stars

4 comments:

  1. I have not finished this novella yet. However, I completely agree with it and Midnight sun making Twilight more complete. I felt that there could of been so much more to the stories that at the end of breaking dawn I felt short changed because there were so many loose ends that were not tied.

    I do love that there is going to be a crushed windpipe. I like, no love, gore in my movies so why not my books?

    Buying the book will be a good thing. Meyer's/Publisher has a dollar donated from every purchase to the red cross. More books should offer something of that sort. Right now donations for oil spill clean up would be nice. We blame BP and Great Britain but it is our area and we should take responsibility as well.

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elyssa, I definitely agree with your BP comment. People make these comments and blame other people, but they should be able to be the greater person and take responsibility for some of their wrong-doings.

    But back to the main topic, I loved this review! Jen, you're so much better at writing reviews than I am. You didn't reveal too much, but you totally are making me wish I hadn't gotten The Hunger Games the other day at Wal-Mart. I would have been able to get Bree Tanner.

    But anyways, awesome review Mrs. Bibliophile! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z, you crack me up! The Hunger Games was excellent, you will enjoy it, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Bree Tanner. I'm actually just about to write my review for this one. Thanks for your perspective!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails