Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Evernight Series by Claudia Gray (Books 1-3)

Evernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)PhotobucketEvernight by Claudia Gray (Evernight No.1)Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 2)Hourglass by Claudia Gray (Evernight No. 3)Photobucket


Title: Evernight (Book 1), Stargazer (Book 2), Hourglass (Book3) and Afterlife (Book 4)
Author: Claudia Gray
Published: June 2008, March 2009, March 2010 & March 1st, 2011 (Afterlife)
Summary: Since I am reviewing these particular books as a series, I am not going to list all the synopsis's. You can click on the cover of each book and it will link you to the synopsis on Goodreads. The roundabout summary of the whole series is about Bianca a young girl who goes to the boarding school of Evernight and meets our main male character, Lucas. Of course, they fall in love and must defeat the evil lurking around Evernight and elsewhere.
Overall Rating for Series: Cropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple Butterfly

Series Review:

Okay, as you can tell from above I am doing this review for the entire series instead of just one book at a time. In my bookish opinion, the books in this particular series could not stand alone and even though I have yet to read the last in the series (as it is not out until next year), I can most definitely say that it would be better to read them all at once. I am going to review this series without (hopefully) giving too much away, but as it's a series review, I am going to have to give something away.

To date, only the first three in the series have been released for purchase, Evernight, Stargazer and Hourglass. Lucky for me the library had all three of them in because it's not a series I would particularly care to purchase. The first in the series was okay, the second in the series was better, but the third was not as good as the first. To me the writing seemed a little odd and predictable.

I think the biggest drawback to the novel was the main character, Bianca. Although she sports a fabulous name, I have an extreme hang up on main characters who don't act like the main character of their own story. It takes Bianca quite a bit to grow into herself and become what she has always been... a vampire. Now I know that is a huge giveaway, which, you are probably asking me why. Well, you don't even find out that this book has anything paranormal in it until halfway through the book. It's kind of crazy and I thought it was not the best piece of writing on the part of Gray. She takes the time to set the scene of Evernight, a dark gloomy castle of sorts, but she doesn't take the time to set up the characters in a familiar way. So when you finally realize what the crap is going on, you stop, look up, look back down and say, "What the hell?!"

At least this was my experience. I mean, one second Bianca is this shy timid girl who is scared of everything and everyone and then the next second she is drinking the blood of her love and enjoying it. Huh? What did I miss. OOOOOOHHH, she is a vampire, well, that little bit of info would have been nice about a hundred and fifty pages ago.

Oh well, once you get over the shock and awe that ensues, you'll proceed forth to see what scintillating details come out to play. You won't be sad either, because even though the writing and characters leave something to be desired, I do think the story line is intriguing and alluring in its own sense of lovely.

I would like to say, that just because I didn't truly find love for Bianca, I did most definitely find love for a particular supporting character by the name of Balthazar. Man, can we say hunk of three-hundred-year-old-vampire delicious?! He was sweet, kind, and adorable in all his immortal 19 year old glory. And, he could kick anyone's butt! I would definitely like to bite him if given the chance. *clears throat* (sorry, temporary visions impaired my thinking)

So, the diabolical plot that winds through the pages of these three novels is compelling forcing the reader to look past its faults and find out who wins, good or evil? Or is it really a decision between good and evil? Maybe its a decision of ignorance and knowledge. The age old story of finally finding out the truths for yourself instead of letting people tell you what is what and who is who.

Either way, Stargazer was pretty hot and there is a particular scene with Bianca and Balthazar that is quite steamy and quite delicious that caused me to wish for my own vampirism. Anyhoo, each and every one of the books ends in a cliffhanger and the Hourglass cliffhanger is, of course, the worst. I did not even a tiny bit like the turns the 3rd novel took and was a bit surprised at Bianca's fate. However, I will give Gray props on her ability to make things difficult. Never want to make anyone too comfortable now would she. Oh well, I will have to remain happy with some dastardly villains and any glimpse of Balthazar available.

So, with hottie(& haughty) vampires, freezing wraiths, stellar constellations and more blood than you may know what to do with, this series was a creative view on the ever popular vampire. Although it could have been better, it was still an enjoyable read. Although, most definitely better read all at once (translation, wait for the 4th to come out and read all 4 books in a row).

Evernight Rating: Cropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple Butterfly
Stargazer Rating: Cropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple ButterflyCropped Half Butterfly
Hourglass Rating: Cropped Purple ButterflyCropped Purple ButterflyCropped Half Butterfly

Jen the Bibliophile

3 comments:

  1. I have not picked up this book. I'm going to be a snob, but those covers are ugly. Yup, I said it... Those covers turned me away from the books.

    According, to your review it sounds like I only missed one hot scence. *sigh* Im sorry you had to review this for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I totally agree with you - I knew there were vampires involved when I picked up the book, but it was written in such a strange way that I actually thought LUCAS was the freaking vamp, LOL ... then, *wham*, turns out he's practically the only non-vamp - it was kind of HUH?! ... I didn't really get the whole point of that *twist* :o

    The twist is Hourglass kind of pissed me off, tbh ... it was kind of obvious what was happening to Bianca, but she was all *Hmm, if I don't think about it, or tell anyone about it, it will all go away!* ... I thought she acted pretty dumb, and totally out-of-character. Okay, Bianca hasn't ever been the smartest crayon in the box (case in point - she didn't pick Balthazar :D), but her actions were stupid even for her. I just felt sorry for poor Lucas ... jeez, he gave up everything for her ... and was willing to work his ass off to support them ... and she didn't even care enough to tell the poor guy that something was wrong ... yeah ... he had to watch *** *** (err, don't want to spoil it for anyone - you know what I'm talking about), to find out how serious her problems were. Nice one, Bianca. o_o

    AND as for what happens to Lucas at the end of Hourglass ... well, by then I was so exasperated with Claudia Gray, that I was just like AWESOME, what next??! Let's turn Balthazar into a seal! and maybe the mean mean Headmistress of Evernight into a four-headed tortoise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lyss - I think the Hourglass cover is indeed the worst! It's sad that a cover can repel, but it kinda did. Never would have bought it.

    @Bella - I know! OMG, at the end of Hourglass I was thinking, I know where this is headed, but the author wouldn't really do that would she? Don't know why I was surprised, guess the writing throughout should have prepped me for that little tid bit.

    And Lucas, HA! I did think he was a vamp too since he was chasing Bianca in the woods. Confusion arises in chaos I tell yah! The whole time I'm reading the book thinking, OMG, just get it on with Balthazar. I mean HELLO!

    Although, the headmistress as a 4 headed tortoise would have made this book possibly better. (okay, maybe not, but still)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails