Monday, July 19, 2010

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher - A Review

Title: Incarceron
Author: Catherine Fisher
Pages: 464
Published: January 26th, 2010
ISBN: 0803733968 (isbn13: 9780803733961)
Overall Rating: 30PX30PX30PX30PX
Synopsis: Incarceron -- a futuristic prison, sealed from view, where the descendants of the original prisoners live in a dark world torn by rivalry and savagery. It is a terrifying mix of high technology -- a living building which pervades the novel as an ever-watchful, ever-vengeful character, and a typical medieval torture chamber -- chains, great halls, dungeons.

A young prisoner, Finn, has haunting visions of an earlier life, and cannot believe he was born here and has always been here. In the outer world, Claudia, daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, is trapped in her own form of prison -- a futuristic world constructed beautifully to look like a past era, an imminent marriage she dreads. She knows nothing of Incarceron, except that it exists.

But there comes a moment when Finn, inside Incarceron, and Claudia, outside, simultaneously find a device -- a crystal key, through which they can talk to each other. And so the plan for Finn's escape is born ... (From Goodreads.com)

I have been dying to read this book for sometime. The cover is so beautiful and the synopsis was so intriguing, I just couldn't help myself. I actually got really lucky and found it on the shelf at the library. It was funny because the same day I grabbed it also happened to be the same day 2 holds went on it by people who wanted a copy. Too bad!! Finders keepers....well, finders get it first anyway. Library fees aren't really fun.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to start this review, and I can't come up with anything good so I'm just going to jump on in. Overall I liked the book, hence my 3.5 flower rating, but it was a bit confusing and slow going at first. Don't get me wrong, it starts off really intense because there is this character in the road about to get ran over by wagons, but there is so much lingo and "stuff" going on that is not everyday speech in this world so I was getting really confused.

For example, it takes place in a futuristic society, but a society where Protocol demands they live in the past. So even though they have the knowledge for so many things we don't even have the knowledge of now, they are supposed to live like its the 13th century or something. That took me forever to figure out. I swear, I really am not dense, it just doesn't really explain anything. You have to just figure it out as you go along.

Now, a lot of the book takes place in this Prison that actually is a feeling breathing thing of sorts. I mean, it thinks and talks and controls almost everything that is going on inside the prison, because well... it is the prison.

Some of the things I liked about the book though was that the author made you keep second guessing yourself. Yeah, there were a lot of things that were fairly predictable, but then there were some things that just shot our of nowhere and you're like "Wait... did that just happen?".

I love when an author surprises you around every corner and you don't know who is bad, who is good, or who is going to suddenly kill a random sheep that turns out to be part robot... HUH? Uhhhh, I don't know...

It was a book that made me think forward and try to get to the root of what was going to happen. So, overall, I liked the book, but I didn't think it was worth of 4 flowers so I lowered it a half notch. I will indeed read the sequel when it comes out because I definitely want to see what happens. Plus, I think that in the second book I will have grown accustomed to the odd wordage and to the characters so everything will flow a little better.

Overall Rating: 1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus

Jen the Bibliophile

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails