Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine

Racel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane  Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael GlassRacel Caine,The Morganville Vampires,Claire Danvers,Shane Collins,Eve Rosser,Michael Glass
Title: The Morganville Vampires
Author: Rachel Caine
Published: 2006-2010
BoldThe Morganville Vampire series so far consists of 8 different novels, the most recent, Kiss of Death, published April of 2010.
Overall Rating: 1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus
Summary: 16 and a half year old super genius Claire Danvers moves to the small town of Morganville, Texas to start her first year of college at Texas Prarie University. She is brutally terrorized by the town snob, Monica Morrell and her clique and thinks that that is the biggest part of her worries. Little does she know the town is actually inhibited and ran by vampires. The humans are forced to contract with the vampires for protection from well.... the vampires. They must pay taxes in the form of blood, or else the vampires will use them for a snack. Is Claire strong enough to survive?

Flourish
Recently I've been swept up into the saga that is The Morganville Vampires. Normally I'm sure I could have just reviewed these separately, but so many of them had cliffhangers that bled right into the next book that I thought I would just do them all at the same time. Plus, I read all 8 in a row this week, finishing the 8th up this morning at 2 a.m.

These books were unbelievably AWESOME! I had heard of them before, but it wasn't until I had been recommended to read them by a member of a different site I participate in that I finally gave in and read them. It's too bad I didn't read them earlier because they were so amazing.

I had been avoiding vampire books for some time for reasons unexplainable, but recently I've been on a huge vampire kick and these books were just deliciously edible in a I-can't-put-this-down sort of way. I read all 8 books in a matter of a week and now that they are over I'm a bit sad that there are no more.

These particular novels are YA, but Rachel Caine is such an amazing author, you can tell she is excellent at her craft. I mean, I even had to double check that they were YA because the writing was so.... good.

On to the juicy parts (my favorite!). There were four main characters throughout the whole book, Claire Danvers who is our lead, Shane Collins who is the hottie with which I would like to lick from head to toe, Eve Rosser who is the Goth beauty (on the cover of Fade Out) and Michael Glass is the the second male lead and also ends up as Eve Rosser's boyfriend in the first book.

There are so many characters in all of these books, I don't think I could possibly name them all, so you will just have to read them to learn about them, but my favorite 3 are:

Claire is an absolutely amazing character who as I said, is also a super genius. In the very beginning of the book, she seems quiet and weak, but then after the first couple chapters, you can tell that she really isn't. She has this quiet simmering power that comes out in her own way. I love strong female characters who don't put up with crap from anyone, even the men they adore. Claire (and Eve for that matter) is so much that way.

Then, there is Shane. Oh me oh my, what to say about this hunk of yummy goodness. Shane is a delectable bad ass man of 18 who gets in fights right and left and still finds room in is heart for his friends and of course for Claire. Their relationship had me holding my breath and pulling me through the books seeing what would happen next. He is a snarky jerk-off so much of the time, but it was so funny that I found myself laughing out loud attempting not to wake up the sleeping household.

Last, there is Myrnin, the bipolar, totally insane brilliant vampire scientist (or alchemist?!) and also ends up as Claire's boss. Now, you don't really meet him until book 3, but he is such an amazing character. The scenes with him were so insanely nuts and lovely, I couldn't help loving the total manic vamp. I mean, what could be better than insanity in a character?! A character that can be ready to eat you one minute and save you the next. Plus, he was freaking hilarious! I can't even begin to tell you about his wardrobe which is almost never matching and includes flip flops and sometimes vamp bunny slippers.

This is turning out to be the longest post, but I just loved these books so much. I had to buy 2 of the series because the library wasn't fast enough for my taste, but I'm going to have to buy the other 6. You should most definitely read these books, because with manic vamps, super sexy boys, founder houses, protector bracelets, surprises around every corner and enough blood to make it most enjoyable, you won't be able to put it down. Rachel Caine has done a magnificent job of bringing this world to life and I hope more than anything she keeps going so I can see more of the gorgeous, sex on a stick Shane and the totally nuts Myrnin.

What fun would life be without sexy men and crazy vamps?!

Overall Rating for the series: 1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus
Favorite Cover: Fade Out
Favorite Book: Carpe Corpus
Quotes:
"Silver nitrate and water in a super soaker," he told her. "My own invention. Ought to be good at twenty feet, kind of like wasp spray."(Shane)
Oh. "You get me the nicest things."(Claire)
"Anybody can get jewelry. Posers"(Shane)
"What about Myrnin?"
Eve swallowed, almost choked, and Michael patted her kindly on the back. She beamed at him. "Myrnin? Oh yeah. He did a Batman and took off into the night. What is with that guy, Claire? If he was a superhero, he'd be Bipolar Man."


"Another thing I don't want on my tombstone," Shane said.
You have others?" Claire asked.
He held up one finger. "I thought it wasn't loaded," Shane said. Second finger. "Hand me a match so I can check the gas tank." Third finger. "Killed over ice cream. Basically, any death that requires me to be stupid first."
"When I want to be lectured on strategy, I'll consult someone who's actually won battles," Amelie said. "Not one who ran away from them."
"Snap," Eve said.
"You know what they're talking about?" Shane asked.
"Don't need to know to get that one. She smacked him so hard his momma felt it."


Jen the Bibliophile

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to read these books now. I'm glad that you liked and raved about them so much. I got the first few on my Nook to check them out. You def made me a bit excited to see what these books are like.

    *I didn't read the whole post because I'm afraid of spoilers.*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen!

    Great post, you make me want to drop everything and go read the Moganville books now. Can you believe I only read the first 4? The others weren't out yet and I have yet to catch up. I might do it soon. This was a great reminder!

    As Twisted mentioned, I also didn't read the whole post. No spoilers for me. But what I read was great!

    Also, since I know you are a fellow Gail Carriger lover, I'll be interviewing her on my blog soon. You have to check back to read it. I'll let you know when it's up.

    See you soon!

    VampAngel
    VampAngel's Reviews: To Read or Not To Read It? That is The Question

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here looking for a review/recommendation as I just finished reading all 9 books of the Weather Warden series in 3.5 days. Phew! But I'm freaked that it's over. Not many books actually make me "feel" that much - I could have read about David, Jo, and Lewis forever it seems. I see such good recommendations about the Morganville Vampire seriss but am torn as I started the first book and by 2/3 of the way in I just could get into it. I want a story to lure me in, pull me in..just something. Maybe I should try again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karleigh - I really loved this series, but it's not for everyone. I have a friend with whom I share almost the exact same taste in books and she didn't care for this series either. You should try Rachel Caine's other adult series, REVIVALIST (http://www.goodreads.com/series/53247-revivalist). I absolutely LOVED LOVED that series and a little more along the same genre as The Weather Warden. It's not genies, more zombie-ish, but SO SO GOOD! :)

      Delete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails