Sunday, August 22, 2010

Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters No.2) by Michelle Zink - A Review

Title: Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters No.2)
Author: Michelle Zink
Published: August 1, 2010 by Little Brown Books
Read: August 20, 2010
Rating:30PX30PX30PX30PX30PX
Synopsis:

The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.(from barnsandnoble.com)


So, I've been waiting for this particular book to come out for only about 2 months because that just so happens was when I read the first in the series Prophecy of the Sisters (see HERE for review of PotS). Lucky for me I didn't have to wait the entire year between the 1st and 2nd publishing. However, it's unlucky for me that I now have to wait an entire year for the 3rd book to be released. I absolutely loved this book. I really liked the last one, but I loved this one so much more. It had everything the first book was missing plus a little extra.

I mean, there was sexy men who can tame wild beasts with just their presence, there was sweet fights and betrayal all mixed in with some skimpy clothing involving a little itty bitty lavender robe. And while I am on this thought train, I am curious as to why some of the oh so sexy men from books tend to be named "Dimitri". Don't get me wrong, the name inspires all sorts of lustful feelings within me, but it seems to be used quite often. Nonetheless, I still do love it and it does happen to be the name of the man in this book who I would most like to rip off his clothes.

I think that he was definitely what the first book was missing. I like James okay, but Dimitri is like the pie and the whip cream all topped with delicious strawberries and then possibly several other pies. I don't know, I could possibly go on this food analogy for quite some time. But, that wouldn't be much a review would it?!

So...


I hope you all remember Lia, our main heroine from the last book. She is of course the most important character and the person from whom the story is told. I really did like her in this book because she seemed to have grown into her self. She seemed to be able to face the fact that life is throwing things at her that she will have to deal with rather than pretend its not there. She also seems much stronger and independent, and that my friends, is what woman ought to be. No matter what century they deem to live in *might I add*.

And this book folks, takes place in a not so recent century. However, I think that Zink has done a fabulous job of weaving a story web of suspense, romance and possibly some hot make out scenes. Yes, I know, I'm a bit crazed in that department.... DON'T JUDGE ME! *grins maliciously*

So *rubs hands together* continuing on, this book is an excellent show of what happens when authors write their 2nd book better than their first, and thank heaven for that! The plot is bittersweet and suspenseful and contains the romantic atmosphere that I felt the first lacked. Although looking back, I can see that was definitely on purpose, so bravo Ms. Zink!! The only thing I wished this one would have had was a better build up to some climactic events and that the ending would not have been so abrupt. The book still could have ended at the same place, but with some more dialogue and possibly some more scenes I felt could have filled in some places that were too simple, even for YA.

Overall though, I felt that it was an excellent book and cannot wait for the third installment to be released. Because, with smexy men, hellhounds, crazy ass sisters, spellcasting, betrayals from who knows where and me wanting to throw Dimitri to the floor and do things that cannot be spoken of, I think it may be a very long year!


Overall Rating
1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus
(4.5)
Cover Art Rating
1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus
End of Story Rating
1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus
Character Rating
1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus

Quotes:

I have time to meet his gaze for only a second before a sound on the riverbank gets my attention. It is not the Hounds, but something else. Someone else, just beyond them. A caped figure astride a black horse positioned behind the Hounds, as if they are no more than hunting dogs.

This alone would be mystifying enough. But when the figure pushes back the hood of his cape, I am left with only more questions.
A muffled groan erupts from his throat. I feel the vibration of it on my neck.

"Lia, Lia... This is not how I should be keeping you awake." I hear the anguish in his voice and know that he, too, is stuggling against the tide of desire and the expectations of polite society.

But we are not part of that society at the moment. Here in the forest on our way to Altus, we are on our own.

I twist in his arms until I am kneeling before him, grateful for the ease of movement in my breeches. Taking Dimitri's face in my hands, I look into his bottomless eyes.

"this is not you keeping me awake." I lower my mouth to his, lingering until his lips open under mine before pulling away just enough to speak. "This is us, staying awake together. This is me"--I touch my lips lightly to his--"staying awake with you because I want to."



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love the review! This series was kinda pushed onto me by a friend of mine, but I hesitate until I'm given enough reason too. You're very persuasive however. =)

    So now seriously considering it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review! I was kinda so-so with PotS, but I'm looking forward to this! I'm glad that you thought it was better than the first!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails