Sunday, September 5, 2010

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - A Review

Title: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices No.1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 479
Published: August 31, 2010 by McElderberry
Read: September 4th, 2010
Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Synopsis:Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa.
As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.(From Goodreads.com)

Photobucket

I keep going back in my head to try and recall how long I have been waiting for this book. I think it's been at least a year.

The one problem with waiting so long for a book is that you let yourself get so excited because you know for sure that the book will be fantastic. Well, then you get the book, you read it and it's not quite what you had hoped for.

Sad to say, that was my feelings on this book.

First off, I want to say that I LOVE Cassandra Clare and her work. I have loved every book that was a part of The Mortal Instruments and I've had thoughts of molesting Jace for quite sometime. I guess I was just so sure that this book would live up to that.

Don't get me wrong, I still really liked the book, I guess I was just a bit disappointed. I mean, overall, the characters were quite entertaining and it was so nice to see Magnus Bane again, but I had horrible thoughts of slapping Jessamine silly and possibly giving a swift kick to Tessa at times.

Tessa, the main female character, to me starts off as a weak character. Slowly she develops and her character grows into something that I definitely appreciate more than she started out as, but still she annoyed me. She seemed way to whiny and I couldn't fathom her affection for Will. Plus, just because it's the 1800's doesn't mean she has to be a total "lady" *psh*.

And Will! What an a$$! Yeah, he was a lot like Jace, but at least Jace had redeeming qualities in addition to his snark and sometimes mean comments. Will on the other hand was rarely nice and if he was it lasted for like 5 minutes. I don't know...he stressed me out.

BUT.... I did fall madly in love with Jem. He was a wonderful character and I loved getting a look into his background. All the scenes with him were fabulous and he just brightened up the story so much with his humble personality and his sexy features. I'm getting a bit sweaty thinking about it right now...*prrrrrr* He was just so excellently developed!

Still, even after all the things I didn't like about the book, the underlying story was lovely and quite different from what I expected. It's always nice to be surprised with a story you didn't expect. I think I will always love Clare's writing and even though Will deserved a kick in the pants, his snark still made me laugh out loud. I have a very good feeling that I will grow to love the characters more after the next book. I do, however, hope that Clare adds more of the Vampires and Werewolves into the next book and especially more Magnus. He was such a wonderfully fabulous addition to the book. I do like him better with Alec, but I supposed after 200 years he must have changed somewhat *wink*. I am also hoping for more action and a faster plot. I have good feelings about the next in the series.

Still, after all of my negative feelings on the matter, a dim tail of Dark Sisters, seraph blades, crazy scientists, the Magister, possible demon pox and a very deathly parasol made me pleased as punch with Clockwork Angel. I wish I could always get more Shadowhunter and didn't have to wait til next year for more!

Photobucket
(You can check out the book trailer here)


3 comments:

  1. lol some thngs you wrote there made me laugh-especially because i agree with you but would not say it like that (a kick in the parts -LMAO!!)

    hmm about magnus...i did wonder about his preferences-was he just hiding because of the era or didnt he know it yet?

    however, my opinion about will is differwent than yours, though jem's not (gosh I LOVe Jem) and im still curious about what tessa's angel has to do with the story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think this is kind of why I haven't bought Clockwork Angel, yet ... The Mortal Instruments is one of my favourite series (JACE!!! ♥ I'll also admit to a not-so-tiny crush on Alec, even though Magnus will probably hunt me down and hocus pucus me into a toad for this! :P) and I was more than happy to get all swept up in the hype, but I kept stopping myself from buying the book with a reminder that, yes, same author, but WAY different characters and story ... with the Victorian setting, it sounded like it might be pretty slow, and I didn't know about how interesting I'd find those women from way back when marrying was the only thing to do (I think?)! So thanks for an awesome review, I think I made a good choice avoiding the exorbitantly priced Clockwork Angel at my bookstore - I might give it a try when it's no longer possible to buy three other new books for its price! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clockwork monsters we're really quite scary, certainly far more frightening than their creator and master who I was really disappointed in. Magnus Bane is as always totally fabulous and I really love the witty banter between the two main characters. Tessa's humour is dry and clever, very funny. There is a joke in there about a seven fingered dwarf named Nigel that cracked me up like there is no tomorrow.

    All in all I would absolutely, one-hundred-percent recommend this book to people who enjoyed the mortal instruments trilogy or the fantasy YA genre, for me it just wasnt as good as the earlier books, though to be fair, that is an exceedingly tall order.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails