Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - A Review

Title: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games No.3)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 390
Published: August 24th, 2010 by Scholastic
Read: August 26th, 2010
Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Synopsis:Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.(From Goodreads.com)



Photobucket

****NO SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS REVIEW****

As you can see from above, I actually read this book just after it was released. I've held off on writing up my review because there were so many floating around I was afraid it would be lost in the mass confusion of the Mockingjay release. Plus, I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to write it up because so much has already been said about this book.

I guess I'll start by saying that it really is a fantastic book. Collins really has a way of bringing her characters to life and imbuing them with a sense of life that is unlike that of most books. By that I mean that her characters don't follow the beaten path, they tend to walk their own roads of personality and wants. And even though I feel that is the case I suppose it's also ironic to say that I get them. I get how they feel and why they feel that way and I feel it right along with them.

This book brought with it heartache, rebellion, war and death. It made me cry and feel so many emotions that it took me awhile to decide how I truly felt about it. So much of the book was bittersweet and although wonderfully written tore my emotions to shreds. So, after a week of finishing this book, I've decided that I'm okay with it. I'm okay with the turn of events and I'm happy about the ending.

Nothing in life comes without a cost and Collins has proven that once again. She has given us a story that albeit fictional still has a sense of reality floating through it. One of the things I would have asked for would have been a longer ending explanation. I did feel like the story ended too soon. I also would have asked for a whole bunch more of the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale, I did feel that it was meant to take a backseat to the story being told, but I do so love the romance.

But Mockingjay was truly fabulous story. I will definitely have to re-read it again because I feel like there was so much I missed the first time through. I mean, what could be better than a wedding, exploding gifts, disturbing roses, hovercrafts, exploding arrows and death around every bend all wrapped up in a a baby blue hardback?!

Favorite Quotes:
"You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real," he whispers.

"Real," I answer. It seems to require more explanation. "Because that's what you and I do. Protect each other." After a minute or so, he drifts off to sleep.

I clench his hands to the point of pain. "Stay with me."

His pupils contract to pinpoints, dilate again rapidly, and then return to something resembling normalcy. "Always," he murmurs.



Series Rating:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Storyline:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Story Ending:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Writing:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Cover Art:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Other Books in the Series:
PhotobucketPhotobucket


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I also think that Mockingjay was a great book, but I was a little put off about all of the...detail...in the book. Like...Butch's legs being blown off. The ending wasn't the best one either...
    Although it was a very good book...
    I just sorta liked catching fire da best...

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails