Friday, September 10, 2010

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George - Book Review

Title: Princess of the Midnight Ball
Author:
Jessica Day George
Pages:
280 pages (paperback)
Published: January 20th, 2009
Read:
September 5th, 2010
Rating:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket(3.5)
Synopsis:A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn…

Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.
Captivating from start to finish, Jessica Day George’s take on the Grimms’ tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses demonstrates yet again her mastery at spinning something entirely fresh out of a story you thought you knew.(from goodreads.com)
Photobucket
I wonder if any of you recall the story of the 12 dancing princesses? Growing up, this was one of my all time favorite stories. I remember the very first time it was told to me, I was probably around 7 years old and I was sitting on my grandma's front porch and my Aunt (who is the number one best story teller of all time) winds this tale of dancing princesses with worn out shoes and a curse. It's funny that 20 years later it's still one of my favorite stories. So you can imagine my excitement at finding out that some lovely soul had turned it into a YA novel... YEAH!!

This book was quite a wonderful read, with all the wonder and fascination that it held for me as a child, brought to life into a world of invisibility cloaks and crones portrayed in a novel format. George does a lovely job of winding this tale of the 12 dancing princesses and adding in the wonderful Galen, our love interest.

Galen was my favorite part of this book with his kindness and ingeniously smart brain all added into a handsome exterior. It was fun to see his interactions with the princesses from 17 year old Rose all the way down to the 6 year old Pansy *they were all named after flowers*. And, to top it off, he knitted. That's right, he knitted. It cracked me up and seemed to fit perfectly with his personality and the story.

Plus, the simple writing style made for an easy and refreshing read on a day where it was dreadfully needed. So, if you are looking for silver forests, handsome gardeners, 12 dancing princesses, a garden of beautifully exquisite flowers and a crazy king who lives for evil, pick up this enchanting tale and let it whisk you off your feet and possibly brighten your day.

Storyline:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Story Ending:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Writing:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Cover Art:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. first of all, your reviews rock too- and this is (one of the, at least) proof. And I have around 750 books on my TBR and this one's going there too, so...it is your fault if i never ever leave my room again!!(jk jen, except for the tbr part)

    anyway, great review that rocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I always wondered why the princesses had to dance every night - this book offers the best explanation I've ever run across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks excellent!! i actually just bought it a few weeks ago! i loooooved this story when i was little too :) STill do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stray - Thanks! I know what you mean about the TBR part. If only we could get books for free - purchase that is.

    @Jennifer - Agreed! It's funny what questions you don't ask as a child like anything told to you just makes sense. Yes, the princesses are cursed, that totally makes sense. LOL!

    @Carrie - It's fun to find books that we loved as children. It brings back so many of those memories I adored when I was a kid. I loved being told stories on my grandmas porch. Oh, the good old days. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome blog you have here! It's really pretty too! This seems like a great read, I love books in this era.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is supposedly a book for teens but I found it to be fascinating to read ; I'm not a young chick either. The plot is well developed and has many surprising twists and turns. I was constantly being on the edge of suspense and then surprised with the solutions. I really like the theme.

    Mariz
    Texas Infrared Building Inspection

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails