Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Daughter of the Flames by Zoë Marriott - Book Review

Title: Daughter of the Flames
Author: Zoë Marriott
Pages: 268
Published: February 10th, 2008
Read: October 12, 2010
Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Synopsis:What if your deadliest enemy were the only one who could save you?

Inside an ancient temple in the mountains, fifteen-year-old Zira trains in the martial arts to become a warrior priestess who can defend the faith of the Ruan people. Bearing a scar on her face from the fire that killed her parents, the orphaned Zira is taught to distrust the occupying Sedornes. Terror strikes when the forces of the tyrannical Sedorne king destroy the only home she knows. To survive, Zira must unravel the secrets of her identity, decide her people’s fate — and accept her growing feelings for a man who should be her enemy.(from goodreads.com)

Photobucket

I actually decided to read this book because I have an affection for the author's blog over at The Zoë Trope, she cracks me up and highly intrigues me to the point of possible stalking (uhh...not really, put down the handcuffs people). I'm happy to say that I am very glad that I did read this book because it was really good. Not only was it well written with an original story line, I also found the main character to be quite interesting and lovable.

Zahira - the main character - is strong and can kick anyone's a$$ and I find that totally awesome in a story. I'm not a huge fan of weak females or females who are strong and don't want to be tough. Come on ladies, kick some butt and be proud of it. ....uhhhh....kay, sorry about the temporary spurt of woman's lib, I've been repressed by Hubby for way too long. *evil grin*

Anyhoo, Zahira is tough and I like that about her. She also doesn't cave to stupid decisions when people try to play her. I absolutely adore that about her. I CANNOT stand when people do stupid things in a book just because they are such sweet and good souls. Um, that may sound bad, but I guess for an example when say our main character decides to leave because it is just better for everyone. Oh, get off your ass and realize the world is crappy and leaving doesn't solve anything. I could go on for awhile, but it would be incoherent rambling - I don't think I'll submit you all to that.

However, I will get back on topic and say that the main male lead - Sorin - in the book seemed to me to be strong and adorable. He is this 24 year old hard muscled man which always works for me as I love a relationship with a cute guy and a healthy age difference *wink, wink*. But, hey I also love a man who doesn't mind a strong, smart woman which Sorin didn't. It's inevitable you know, we do exist...strong, smart women that is. *hehehe*

I think I'm noticing that I have woman's rights issues........ *jots note to seek help...finds chocolate ice cream...help found*

I think that what really made this story work for me was the good writing. All you crazy book bloggers out there know what I mean. So, I'll leave it at that.

I would like to add that even though I know from reading her blog that Zoë isn't really into writing anything that takes place in this day and age, but I think she would totally rock at it because she could use the full force of her humor. I always laugh so hard at her blog that I have become an avid follower.

Okay, okay so no one is asking for my opinion, but she is funny and I love funny. Especially in books.

Wow, this post has turned into crazy rambling even with me trying to avoid it...sorry everyone.

Since I can't avoid it though, I'm going to get to my point and finish this review. I really liked this book and thought that the characters were interesting and well written. I thought the overall writing was good and I'm glad I picked this book up from the library. I think that fire as a living breathing "feeling' entity was definitely original and it was a breath of fresh air reading about it. Plus, I'm always down for girl fights! So, excellent work Zoë and I will be picking up your other book off the shelf of my closet to read this week.

Rating: 4/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this one sounds really good. I decided I was hooked by the blurb you gave, but now I'm even more convinced I should read this. Me and strong female protagonists (who aren't whiny and who don't hate kicking ass and who aren't such pushovers) get along really well. :P

    Thanks for the review! :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on board this wagon train.

    Strong females really can make the book just pour out greatness!

    Mad Scientist
    madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rants and babble always make me laugh. You are a hoot. Plus, you always have a point behind the rant.

    Most often then not I so agree with you so keep it up!

    Cheers to us... And the Strong Female Kind!

    Black Disaster Fairy
    http://literarydaydreams.blogspot.com
    http://wickedsexybooks.blogspot.com
    http://ikissbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails