Monday, October 11, 2010

Weather Warden (series) by Rachel Caine - A Series Review



































Title:
Weather Warden Series
Author: Rachel Caine
Read: October 1st-October 10th
Series Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Series Summary: This particular series follows a period of about 2-3 years of the life of Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin. With the fight against the elements and the fight for her life against Mother Earth. Throw in some magical powers and magical djinn and we have ourselves an excellent sci/fi fantasy novel. (for full synopsis of each book, click cover and it will take you to the Goodreads page for each book)
Photobucket

Oh my, I don't even know where to start. This series was just....so...amazing. It wound me around its little magical finger and had me holding on for dear life. There were so many twists and turns that I just couldn't put it down for the life of me.

Our main character, Joanne...Jo... is like this tough girl who has an affection for fast cars and sexy men. Well, what woman doesn't have an affection for sexy men? It seems as though Jo just attracts them though. That really isn't the point of the series, but can't help me for always noticing things of the sort.

I don't think I can really hit the points of the story that I would like to without giving anything away. I think that really what I loved about the series was how Rachel Cain just seems to be able to drag me into her stories and hold me there with no inclination to leave. The Weather Warden series was no exception. Her characters were so wonderfully developed and flawed that I couldn't bring myself to feel anything other than affection for them.

Jo is such a strong defining character with enough pizazz and arrogance to kill a nation. I loved everything about her. I loved her ability to get the job done that needed to be done. I loved how she looked at life and had hope, but was still inherently human. I could feel her emotions flowing off the pages as I read.
People talk about nature as a mother, but to me she's always been Medea, ready and willing to slaughter her children.(Ill Wind)
Then, there is David. Oh David. I don't think I could ever describe him to anyone's satisfaction. He is the male lead and oh my, the sexiest thing alive. I just imagine this like rusty tanned man almost glowing with auburn hair and golden eyes that could kill or ravish, either works for me. I also think that swooning in his general vicinity is probably inevitable. And he is djinn which of course is kind of like a genie....but not.

Yes, I know, very descriptive. *grins maliciously*

Still, David.... I would have no problem resorting to exhibitionism for that man (anyone who has read this series knows what I mean by that *wink wink*) Grrrr! Sex on a stick I tell yah!

But, other than those there are so many other characters to love...

Lewis for being dreamy and humble and a lovable bastard
..."If you try anything---" Lewis began.

"Yeah, yeah, you'll kill me," I finished in a tired mumble. "Save your breath." What if Imara didn't appear to David? I hadn't even considered that maybe he wouldn't be able to see her, or that she might not want to see him. It had seemed like my only shot, and now that I thought about it, it was thinner than a Hollywood starlet on diuretics. "I am so kicking your ass later, Lewis."

He smiled. Cynically. "Always possible," he said. "Shut up before I seal your mouth."

He could do it, too. I shut up and concentrated on breathing, and wondering where the hell my Djinn cavalry had ridden off to...
Cherise for her humanity and perkiness in the face of death
...He looked at Cherise, glanced over to me. "And--you can--?

"Cater," she said brightly. "Gotta feed all these people. Bottle water, coffee, sodas, ice--I'm hell on wheels with logistics. Um, as long as somebody has a credit card to use. Any volunteers? I'm looking for something with a platinum limit..."

"Cherise," I said, and reached out to take her hand. "You really don't need to be here. You should go home. I mean it. Everything's okay."

She studied me for a long few seconds. "I never knew you were so good a liar," she said. "Everything's not okay. Keven told me. I saw a lot of it for myself anyway. Things are all screwed up, and you people are the ones who can set them right. I want to help."

"You're not--look, this isn't about you. It's just that you don't have the kind of skills that this needs to--"

"Give me a credit card and phone line, I'll show you some skills. Step off my thing." She stared me right down, turned to Lewis, and gave him the same treatment. "Wow, you guys just don't get it, do you? This isn't your planet. It's our planet. And you may be all kick-ass powerful superheroes, but that doesn't mean you don't need our help. Well, my help, anyway. Because I am the goddess of getting food delivered, and don't you forget it."
Kevin for living through his life and being a total and complete a$$hole
..."You yanked my leash?" he said to Lewis, who was sitting next to the fire with a cup of coffee. Lewis lifted his mug in my direction. "Great. Not her again."

I ignored his hostility. Seemed the best way to deal with him, all the way around. "Kitchen," I said. "Let's do the inquisition over some lunch."...
Jonathon for being totally homicidal and lovable all at the same time
...His face smoothed out, became as rigid and emotionless as a leather mask. Those eyes, God, those eyes. Fury and power and anguish, all together.

"I didn't bring you here," he said. "You think you're Miss Special Destiny of the year?"

"No," I shot back, furious. "And I don't damn well want to be, any more than you wanted to be--whatever the hell you are. But sometimes there isn't a choice. Right?

"Careful. You might accidentally make some sense. Ruin your reputation."

"You are infuriating!"

"Yep," he agreed. "It's been said."...
Rahael for her sweet neon suits and eyes to match
...I felt a slight bump of power on the aetheric level--it took concentration to detect it--and knew that someone had arrived. Someone of the Djinn variety. Could be a good thing; could be a bad thing... Either way, it would be unpredictable.

I turned, a determined smile on my face, and was relieved to see the Djinn Rahel lounging in the cracked doorway, arms folded, surveying the damage with amused, lambently glittering eyes. She was a tall creature, elegant as a heron, but her nature always put me in mind of a hunting hawk--predatory, alert, always on the verge of striking.

Today she wore a bright lavender pantsuit in what looked like (and probably was) the softest of peach skin. It was tailored within an inch of its life, clinging to her long legs and her sculpted torso. Purple was a relaxed color for her, as it was for me. In a less conciliatory mood, she'd have been wearing neon yellow...
Venna for her awesome choice of a blue dress and white pinafore (that scene in the last book when Lewis says ...a pill to make her grow.... thought I was going to laugh myself silly)
..."So, are you going to do it?"

Venna's voice. I turned. She was standing just a couple of feet away, perfectly turned out in a sky blue dress, white pinafore apron, white ankle socks, black patent leather shoes. Straight blond hair, held back with a blue band. Huge cornflower eyes. Looking absolutely the same as she had back in Las Vegas, when she'd left me.

"Are you going to do it?" she asked me again. "You know he only wants it done for the money. I didn't think you approved of that."

"Now you show up?"

"Well, I was busy," she replied. She came and sat down next to me, neat and tidy, hands folded in her lap. The sea air blew her fine blond hair back over her shoulders, and her black shoes dangled several inches off the sand...
Trust me, this is a series that should be read by anyone who loves a good urban fantasy, because with fast cars, excellent shopping, the sexiest man alive, demon marks and watching people control fire, Earth and the weather, you'll be hooked from the first moment you open book one.

Series Rating: 4.5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, this sounds great - and I lOVE the quotes, especially about Lewis, I think I'm gonna like him! :D

    I've heard about this series maybe once before and thought it sounded too - well - COMPLICATED, I guess ... it's definitely going to be read now, though, so thanks for a great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mad Scientist can also appreciate a well crafted quote! You will often find a few in my reviews as well.

    9 books... *gasps* I hardly ever find myself reading a whole series at once. Maybe a few but wow you are dedicated!

    I just finished a review as well :)

    Mad Scientist
    madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bella - Oh my, it is good. I don't think I could ever actually explain it to it's full potential. It's just such a good series. I think you will love Lewis, I know I do. If it weren't for David, I'd ravish Lewis. Although, I think I could handle two men...ravishing and all.

    @Mad Scientist - It's a habit I have, if I the whole series is out then I read the whole series at once. It's just because they tend to be addicting. Well, unless the first couple in the series suck, then I don't care. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this series! I've heard such great things about it but I haven't had the chance to read them yet. I also hear great things about her Morganville Vampires series, so apparently I'm missing out all around:) Sexiest man alive you say? This is me running to the bookstore (well tomorrow anyway, when it opens:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series! I'm sad that it came to an end though *sniffles* Love me some David! <3

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails