Saturday, November 20, 2010

Beastly by Alex Finn - A Book Review


Title: Beastly

Author: Alex Finn

Pages: 304

Published: October 1st, 2007

Read: October 24, 2010

Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Summary: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

(from Goodreads.com)

I’m always a fan of fairytale retellings. I think it’s because I know most of them so well so It’s fun for me to see what the author does with it, how they put their twist into it. I once read a book where an author turned the fairy tales into a darker side, it was completely intriguing.


Beastly, the retelling of Beauty and the Beast, also does an excellent job of pushing all the right buttons. Originally I’d heard of it from my friend Stray over on our group blog For the Love of Reading and ever since I’d been excited to get it into my hands.


This particular retelling takes place in New York and can we just say our main character Kyle is a total and complete jack a$! Well, I guess that would explain why he is the perfect beast character huh?! Still, I wanted to punch him half the time for his stupidity.


I do think that the author added so many amazing characters, like Will his teacher and Magda the housekeeper. I think Will cracked me up the most because he didn’t care how rich the boy was, he wasn’t going to take his crap.


Lindy, the female lead, was an adorable pick and well developed. Plus, I think I have affection for those who aren’t fake in what they think and how they act. Lindy was a prime example of the perfect beauty, flaming red hair and all.


Overall, I thought the author did an excellent job of casting her characters and developing their personalities. Her plot content was fun and I fully enjoyed her turn of events. I think some of my favorite parts of the book were the online chat group sessions. LMAO, the “Unexpected Changes chat group”, like it happens all the time. People are getting turned into something they aren’t supposed to be by witches everywhere. Ha, awesome! So if any of you are looking for a story with a seriously cool mirror, a shoddy father who should be kicked in the lower extremities, a beautiful creative green thumb and a brilliant retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast, you must pick up this book.


Rating: 4/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Quotes:

Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

Mr. Anderson: Anyone here? Or should I say, anyone going to admit being here?

BeastNYC joined chat

Mr. Anderson: Hello, BeastNYC

Mr. Anderson: Hello? I see you there, Beast NYC. Want to introduce yourself?

BeastNYC: Don’t want to talk 1st…anyone else here?

Mr. Anderson: Yes, we seem to have a lot of lurkers who joined the chat before you.

Beast NYC: Let them talk 1st then.

Mr. Anderson: Anyone else want to give a shout-out to BeastNYC?

SilentMaid: Hello, BeastNYC. Should we call you Beast?

Beast NYC: Whatever. Doesn’t matter.

Mr. Anderson: Thanks for speaking up Silent – pardon the pun. What sort of creature are you?

SilentMaid: A mermaid. Just a little one.

Mr. Anderson: You were transformed into a mermaid?

SilentMaid: Actually, I’m currently a mermaid, but I’m “considering” a transformation. I thought this group might help me make my decision.

Mr. Anderson: That’s what we’re going to talk about tonight – the experience of transformation, how you became what you are.

Froggie: wer u trnsfrmd, Andy?

Mr. Anderson: Well, no. But I’ve set this up to help you all.

BeastNYC: You’re a girl, SilentMaid? I mean, a female, er, fish, a mer”maid”

Froggie: Hw cn u hlp us wen u dnt know wat is like

SilentMaid: Beast, yes I am. I’m thinking of becoming a human girl.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Beastly sounds like so much fun! I love Beauty and the Beast, and I love new twists on old favorites, so I think I need to find this one... Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that book!! I thought the chat sessions were hilarious too, you should read A KISS IN TIME (a retelling of the sleeping beauty) I thought that was even funnier! I'll recommend it to you through GR

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails