Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Firelight (Firelight No.1) by Sophie Jordan - A Book Review

Title: Firelight (Firelight No.1)

Author: Sophie Jordan

Pages: 323

Published: September 7th, 2010 by HarperTeen

Read: October 13, 2010

Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Synopsis: With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.(From Goodreads.com)

So I actually read this book some time ago, but as I was so busy with getting ready to leave the country I could never get my review post up. And now that I am out of the country and, of course, not busy or having fun, I now have time to get up this review.


I’ll admit I was attracted to this book originally because of the cover. Well, that and the synopsis. I mean, there aren’t that many books out nowadays about dragons so it was a nice change up for me.


Jordan’s take on the whole dragon/draki world was quite intriguing. And for a premiere YA author, her writing was lovely and alluring. I’ve had trouble as of late with some of the YA books and their lack of writing skills. Yes, that may sound evil, but as a reader and a reviewer, I feel I have the right to say it.


But, Jordan’s work was simple yet prosaic. Her characters were diverse and developed and I loved how I could feel her descriptions as if I were there. Plus, the romance didn’t feel so forced as it does in some books. (co-dependency is a no-no people!!)


I think my favorite scenes were the descriptions of her scales, oddly enough. She sounded like living fire. I could completely picture their glimmering splendor in my mind’s eye.


I just loved this book and if you wouldn’t mind beautifully scaled draki, burned up skanky girls, bathroom girl fights, crazy purple blood and a soul living fire breather, you should definitely pick up this book for a brilliant read!


Rating: 5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Quotes:

I respond, thoughts dropping away, like pebbles plopping one by one in water, sinking down, down into dark oblivion"

He stares at me so darkly, so hungrily that I can only nod. Agree. Of course, I feel it. "I do", I admit.

His hand glides down my arm, folds over my hand. His fingers lace with mine, palms kissing. I can feel the fast thud of his heart through this single touch.

Photobucket



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review Jen! I've heard nothing but good things about this book but I love that your reviews are very honest and let you know about the smaller things, or the things people don't usually touch on, like the scenes with the descriptions of her scales. Great review, now I know that I should go pick this book up ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! It really was an excellent book. I can't wait for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! it was amazing, and so is your review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going backwords in my comment posting. But for me it is onward to a worthy book. You told me this book was grand. Then I believed you but now this review. You are so wonderful... Your words just fall into place!

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails