Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires No.9) by Rachel Caine - A Book Review

Title: Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires No.9)

Author: Rachel Caine

Pages: 335

Published: October 26, 2010

Read: November 2, 2010

Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Synopsis:The fragile peace between humans and vampires in Morganville is in trouble, and when Claire takes drastic action, she's put under serious pressure to re-establish the barriers that keep the town residents inside, and wipe the memories of those who leave. But working with her half-crazy vampire boss Myrnin means that things don't always turn out as planned ... and as the people of Morganville begin acting strangely, Claire and her friends must solve the mystery and try to put things right. But one by one, her allies are turning on her ... even the ones she trusts most.(From Goodreads.com)

This ninth book in the Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine was all that I’ve wanted for the last several months. (See my series review of the first 8 HERE) As all my readers/stalkers know, I have a serious vamp addiction (see HERE and HERE). I mean, come on, what could be better than sexy, vicious, homicidal creatures. Yeah, yeah, I’m sure you could think of many things better, but not me.


So you can imagine my enjoyment of this book at the prospect of more vampires. That, and more Michael and Shane. *prrrr*


Plus, the totally bipolar/homicidal Myrnin is one of my all time favorite characters. His attire never ceases to amaze me.


Technically, this series could have closed off after book 7, but what would the fun be in that. And this book proved that there was more story to tell. We get a more gracious glimpse of the shmexy Shane in all his lickable glory as we do of Michael in his high school days of yore (cool word, yore!)


Our dearest Clare is at the top of her game trying to solve the most recent dilemma of memory loss. I’ve always loved Clare as a character. I think it’s the fact that not only is she brilliant; she is strong and not prone to whining. I cannot stand whining. Girls who fail in the face of true hardship are a discredit to the race of female.


Wow, I’m harsh lately, especially on my own race (I blame Hubby *smiles*)


Clare though is not our only lovely female, we also have the beautiful, rice powdered goth, Eve. Her jabs at Shane are classic and her brutally honest nature is covetable in an ally. Plus, her fashion sense is quite awesome!


All in all, the characters were exactly what I needed and much more. In addition the plot was entertaining and electrifying. Because there is nothing like conniving, murdering vampires, hot sexy men, scientifical machines that control space and plenty of bedazzled stakes to make anyone happy.


Rating: 4.5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Quotes:

"Are you armed?" Oliver asked her.
She glanced down at her backpack and instantly, instinctively held back. "No."
"Lie to me again and I'll put you out on the street and do this myself."
Claire swallowed. "Uh, yeah."
"With what?"
"Silver-coated stakes, wooden stakes, a crossbow, about ten bolts . . . oh, and a squirt gun with some silver-nitrate solution."
He smiled grimly at the dark windshield. "What, no grenade launchers?"
"Would they work?"
"I choose not to comment."

"I'm worried he's going to...do something crazy."
"He lives in a hole in the ground, dresses funny and occasionally eats his assistants," Eve said. "Define crazy."
Claire closed her eyes. "Okay. I think he wants to put my brain in a jar and wire it into the machine."
Dead silence.

Getting two-inch silver chain chokers around the neck of a guy, especially Shane, proved to be more of a problem.
Shane held the jewelry at arm's length, dangling it like a dead rat. "No way in hell am I caught dead or alive wearing that."
"Oh, come on, just this once," Eve said. "Protects your neck. As in your arteries and veins? That's kind of crucial, right?"
"Thanks for the thought, but it doesn't go with my shoes."

"You're seriously going to worry about what people think right now?"
"No, I'm worrying about people taking pictures and putting them on Facebook. That crap never dies. Kind of like you, Mikey."
Michael, straight-faced, said, "He's got a point, because I would definitely take pictures. So would you."
Eve had to grin. "Yeah, I would. Okay, then. But you'd look glam. I could fix you up with silver eye shadow to match."


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails