Friday, December 3, 2010

Aries Rising (Star Crossed No.1) & Taurus Eyes (Star Crossed No.2) by Bonnie Hearn Hill

Title: Aries Rising (Star Crossed No.1)
Author: Bonnie Hearn Hill
Pages: 304
Published: March 2nd, 2010 by Running Press
Synopsis: Aquarius Logan McRae is a high school sophomore in Terra Bella Beach, CA and has been working all semester to impress her teachers in order to get into the summer writing camp she desperately wants to attend. But when this ordinary girl finds an extraordinary book, Fearless Astrology, her life is changed forever. Applying what she’s learned about the zodiac, she lands her own column in the school paper and a date with the hottest guy in school!

But when Logan threatens to catch the members of a secret society called The Gears, who have been vandalizing school property by reading the stars, she quickly learns that she is in over her head. Will Logan be able to catch The Gears, save her love life, keep her newspaper column, and get into the writing camp of her dreams all through the use of astrology?(from goodreads.com)

Title: Taurus Eyes (Star Crossed No.2)
Author: Bonnie Hearn Hill
Pages: 288
Published: May 4th, 2010 by Running Press
Summary:

Having been accepted into the summer writing camp in Monterey, CA, Logan worked so hard for in Aries Rising, she is on her way to becoming a real published author! She needs to impress the camp’s instructor, Henry Jaffa, a renowned journalist, paranormal investigator, and fellow Aquarian, whom she hopes will see the promise in her writing and become her mentor.

But when Logan is stuck writing about an obscure folk singer Sean Baylor, whose spirit is rumored to be haunting the quaint seaside town, she is not sure that she will be able to complete her assignment. Will Logan be able to utilize her knowledge of the planets to impress Henry Jaffa, work through her romantic tug-of-war with the camp brooding bad boy Jeremy, solve the mystery of Sean Baylor’s death, all while competing with the overachieving writers for the coveted spots in the camp’s anthology?(from goodreads.com)



So, I'm not actually into astrology. I know they say it's a science and all, but I've never really believed it. That being said, I really REALLY liked this story. These first 2 in the series were a sweet spin on YA contemporary fiction. Taking place in Terra Bella Beach, a town some 90 minutes outside San Francisco.

I don't know what it was about these books that I enjoyed so much. Maybe it was the different subject matter, or maybe is was the excellent writing. I'm not sure, but whatever it was, I'm glad for it.

Aries Rising, the first in the series is a captivating story of a young girl who finds her way through the crap that is high school and into a world where she actually feels like she has control. Well, as much control as the cosmos will give a girl anyway. Logan, our main girl, was a fun character for me. In the beginning, she doesn't seem to know exactly where she fits in the whole scheme of things. She knows what she wants, but has no idea, really, how to get there. Until she finds a book in her dad's stash of junked items. This is where the story begins. Logan uses this book to help her discover things about life and herself.

Now, personally, I know some people gave this book grief because of the astrology aspect, but for me, I figured if I can read books about vampires and zombies and fairies - which I have yet to see any proof of their existence - I can read a book about astrology and get it. And, yeah, I really did feel for Logan throughout Aries Rising and again in Taurus Eyes, but she seems to be able to pick herself up and keep pushing through. Plus, once she finds her groove, she says what she feels and that, above everything, is what I love about her. I've always wanted to be able to do that and be eloquent, and she hits it on the nose.

Although, it always seems like her love life is a bit in the crapola range, if you know what I'm saying. I felt a bit like the Trix bunny all over again and that love wasn't meant for Logan. But, I supposed that's what a good author throws at us. They make us wait for the good stuff so it's just that much better in the end when we finally get it. And, I'm not saying either way, but maybe...possibly...there is a good chance that in Taurus Eyes, Logan gets to have some fun in Monterey Bay with a pretty sexy bit of man flesh. *big grin* (Which, I would just like to say that I think Hill does such an amazing job in this book describing the eyes of the sexy bit of man flesh...gives me tingles just thinking about it.)

I'd say, overall, the first 2 books in the Star Crossed series were quite fun and entertaining. I always like some good YA contemporary fiction, it really helps on those days that seem to drag. It was light and made me think. And although I don't really believe in astrology, let's just say, after these books, I'm a bit more interested. So, if you like secret gangs who streak, teenage fashion designers, Armenian food, ghost stories and even a bit of dock side kung fu, than you should pick up this series.

Also, look for my review of the third in the series, Gemini Night.

Rating: 4/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


I received this book free of charge from Running Press Publishers in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of this series - how sad is that?! I love the covers, and there's something about astrology that fascinates me. Great review(s), Jen! I really want to read these now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa - I hadn't heard of it previously, but I really did enjoy them. I think the writing was the biggest part of it. It's been crazy lately with so many YA books out there. Sometimes I wonder how some get published. If you know what I mean. But I really do recommend this series.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know if there is a fourth one?? I have read all of these books and loved them and so do my friends, but I hope there is a fourth one coming out.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails