Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Goodnight!

















It's that time again...the season of giving and all that jazz. It used to at one time be my favorite part of the year, but it hasn't for sometime. I wonder when exactly things like that happen. I know it's different for everyone, but for me I'd say it was about 6 or so years ago. Don't think I could pin point it on anything exactly, but still...it's lost it's joy.

Still, I try. The Hubby doesn't celebrate, and that makes it so much harder than anything. Having to fight for a holiday you want to celebrate...not fun...not fun at all. But, I still try to make the most out of it. Because, it's not about the getting of gifts, it's about the joy on my girls faces when they wake up and see that maybe they got a little something. Or, the joy of warm cookies with ice cream and staying up late with my brothers and sister laughing hysterically at something that probably really isn't that funny. It's hugs and kisses and all the things that make you feel warm inside and out. That is what I try to get back every year. And even though I have to push and work for it, every once in a while it happens, and I think, wow, this is wonderful.

So, to help this along, I'm going to tell you my favorite parts of the season. Starting with lights. I absolutely love and adore Christmas lights. When I was young and shared a room with my 2 sisters, my mom used to let me wrap the little Christmas lights around my bunk bed. I loved that. And when ever I could, I'd go sit in the room with the tree in the dark and watch it glow and the bubble lights, bubble. I loved it.


But, one of my very favorite things when I got older was driving through the city and seeing the palm trees lit up. Because let me tell you, with the thousands of palms around the valley, it's an amazing sight to see lights towering above you like that. The picture below is the best I could find. Imagine this, but taller trees, thinner and row after row after row. Because in the city where I live, that, a lot of the time, is how they are planted. And most of the time, the lights are colored. It's an amazing sight.

Now, I also love Christmas movies. Here are my favorites:
White Christmas



The Santa Clause I:


And then of course Christmas music. My favorite 2 songs being:
Carol the Bells
(this one is my favorite with the Trans Siberian Orchestra)


O Holy Night
(I really like Josh Groban, so this is him singing O Holy Night)


So, that is my Merry Christmas to you all who celebrate! I hope you have a wonderful holiday! And for all those who don't, happy holidays and enjoy the winter season.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Jen, this is such a wonderful post! I almost cried. :( How come your hubby doesn't celebrate? Difference of religion, or... ?

    The feeling is Christmas is what I missed, as you miss, when I didn't celebrate it. I used to be bitter because I didn't have that anymore. All I had was tears and my mom sobbing uncontrollably on Christmas day. But eventually, we both found our way back to Christmas. To the feelings of Christmas: the emotions, the joy. Spending time with family and truly appreciating their company. I really, really hope that one day, you're able to get back what you had when you were younger, and that you don't have to work so hard for it. Because you deserve it. Getting Christmas, and all of the feelings that come along with it, is so great. It makes you appreciate it even more. :)

    I know what the taller, thinner palm trees look like - they're all over my city, too! But we don't light them up. You're lucky! And you picked some awesome Christmas movies. By chance, have you seen The Holiday or Love Actually? Those are two of my fave movies to get into the Christmas spirit. :)

    I hope you have a Merry Christmas, Jen. Really, I do. :) And if not, then I just hope you enjoy being with your family today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! White Christmas is one of my all-time favorites too (plus Home Along and Miracle on 34th Street :) I hope that your day today was filled with all kinds of surprise moments of Christmas JOY and singing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jan - Thank you!!

    @ Kristina - It is because of a difference of religion...a HUGE difference of religion. It's weird how life turns out, I tell ya that much. And thank you from the bottom of my heart for the Christmas wishes.

    @Katie - Thank you so much. This Christmas was actually better than last. It was kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, okay, I get it. My parents have differing religions also, but since I was their only child (well, technically) they put aside their differences to celebrate Christmas so it could be enjoyable for me. :) My dad loooved playing the part of Santa. :P

    Anyway, it's great that your Christmas was better than the last one! I was sort of hoping it would be. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails