Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Talk To Me Tuesday

This feature is hosted by Melissa over at I Swim for Oceans. It's a weekly meme where we get to discuss literary questions openly and honestly.
This week's question is:

Do you prefer reading books with a male MC or a female MC, and why?


In all honesty, I don't know. I think that it really depends on the author. For instance, although I do love the Caster Chronicles series by Kami Garcia and Margret Stohl, I think that Ethan isn't quite as male as he aught to be. I think he seems way more like a 30 year old female at times. And although I do enjoy his character (being that I am female and can appreciate it), I don't know if he could necessarily be categorized in the excellent male MC category.



But then, that brings me to Sam from
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. This book, as those who have read it know, that it is told from 2 points of view, one being Sam. His portions of the book were my absolute favorite, even more so than Grace. He isn't the most manly man, but he isn't supposed to be. He is supposed to be sensitive and he is just one of my favorite male MC's in a book.

Also, I loved the male MC from Maze Runner by James Dashner. I think that book would NOT have been as good if it would have been told from a female point of view.


Although, what it really comes down to, it seems as of late, is whether or not I get the lead MC's character or not. I don't have to have any of the same things in common with them, I just have to get them as a character. I have to understand them and
feel their development. I like to read male POV's because there aren't that many, it seems, and I enjoy mixing it up. But, I do enjoy experiencing the story through a female POV, because being female, I feel like it could be me (almost). Like I get to relive certain periods of my life and they are WAY more fun and adventurous the second time around than they were the first, LOL!

I don't know how to really answer the question better than that because I don't necessarily prefer one over the other as long as the character is written well and true to their species. AND most of all, I actually understand the character. I may sway a bit towards the female POV because I'm female and it's fun to read. However, I do love to know what the male mind is thinking. I'd like to think that there is good out there in men, so a good male POV is fun for me too.

How about you, what MC do you prefer??

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. You're so right, Jen. I really liked Ethan in BC, but let's be honest...he spoke and acted very feminine, making him much easier to relate to. I'm kind of divided in my answer, too, though. I think a lot of it depends on the tense, POV, and execution by the author.

    Thanks for participating, Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE SAM!! I still haven't been able to get a copy of Linger from the library, but i am DEFinitely reading it for the YA series challenge.

    I don't think I particularly care - just as long as the person isn't whiney. That is my biggest pet peeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up a good point about the believability of the character's sex. There have been a few books where the author is female and the MC is male, but I think they should have made the MC female. The author just writes too much like a girl and the MC doesn't feel right.

    I also like that you mention that sometimes the sex of the MC is dependent upon the story. There are a ton of stories that wouldn't really work as well if the MC was the opposite sex.

    I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point about the Maze Runner...I had other issues with it, but I do think you're right that having the main character be a guy really worked best, especially considering the microcosmic society the boys have created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about with a female character it is like your get to relive certain parts of your life.

    Overall, I think it just comes down to the character being realistic and likeable :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails