Monday, January 10, 2011

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts No.1) by Stacia Kane

Title: Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts No.1)
Author: Stacia Kane
Pages: 346
Published: May 25th, 2010
Read: January 4th, 2011
Synopsis: The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

So, I've been waiting a bit to post this review because I didn't know exactly how to get my feelings out. It's weird because at first I had a really hard time starting this book. I think I was going through some kind of slump or something, but now that I've finished it, it was brilliant.

Our main character, Chess, is a total drug addict. Which, I think I may have been skeptical of at first, but in all reality, TOTALLY makes the story what it is. I know that may sound odd, but Chess is a product of a shotty life, and her pills...this massive addiction to them....it's just a part of all of that. I get it. I feel for her in that respect. And weirdly enough, I'm almost jealous that she finds comfort from something even if it is pills (don't worry, I'm not going to go that route myself, but I still totally get it).

But Chess, she is such an amazing character. She has these strengths that she doesn't know she possesses. She is smart and creative and uniquely lovely. Plus, I'm not going to lie, her tattoos kick a$$!

Then there is Terrible. I don't really know how to express my love of this man. He is not your normal male, I tell yah that much. But he is this freaking huge guy, who isn't all that attractive, but has a heart that makes you want to melt into him. Doesn't even matter that he is Chess's drug lord's enforcer, he just has me wrapped all up around his finger. Plus, I absolutely love the way Kane has written his dialogue. (Aye, dig?)

And, I just wanted to momentarily hit on Lex. He seems really sexy, I can't deny my draw to him in some way. Don't get me wrong, he isn't Terrible, but Lex has his own qualities that still make him attractive to the reader.

All this brings me to the plot. What a dark, rich, amazing one it was. It was such a sick world I was dragged into, I couldn't help but love it. With the crazy homicidal ghosts and the drugs and the murders, it was not your normal paranormal world. It was fun and suspenseful and wickedly twisted. I couldn't help but enjoy myself. I'm so freaking glad that I found this book, it is definitely one of my favorite series of 2011! So, if you are looking for wickedly awesome characters with sic twists, Hands of Glory that make people slumber, nightmares that make you want to pee your pants, possession and exorcism at its finest and a cast you can get down and dirty with, you HAVE to go pick up this series. No, I mean now. Go, Run, Get Your Own Copy NOW!

Rating: 5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Quotes:
After two Cepts, a hot shower, and one purple Valtruin, it was as though the entire day had never happened. Chess strolled into Trickster's Bar just before one with her face set in a permasmile and her body feeling as though it existed on another planet where nothing had ever happened. Not like this world. Not like the stuff she had to tell Terrible about before she could head off....
"Your brain ain't recharge itself." he peered at her a little more closely. "How long since you slept right?" (Terrible)

"I never sleep." (Chess)

"You look like you ain't been sleeping at all, not like usual."

"I'm fine." How long had it bee, really? Only a few days. And she'd been doing so much speed, a lot more than normal. "I'm fine," she said again.

He raised and eyebrow, but didn't respond. "So this thing, he attached to that book? He what slipknot's soul powering?"

She nodded.

"Bump wanting an update. He--he's getting on the impatient side, dig. Wanting me to bring you in to him, find out when you plan on clearing all up."

"Impatient?" She was so high she actually smiled a little. "Did he tell you to lean on me?"

Terrible shrugged, but wouldn't look at her. There was her answer. "Getting impatient, is all."

"Shit. Ain't even know you can do that shit with magic, for real an all."(Terrible)

"It's just energy," she said. "Everything has energy, you know? it's just a matter of how you use it, whether you have the ability to use it. The more power you are the more you can do." (Chess)

"So them made this, they powerful."

She nodded. Fear slid down her raw throat; fear not just at what they were facing, but at the reminder that some of that power was her power, thanks to the stupid blood connection. A mishmash hybrid ghost comprised of sick and evil, mad e stronger by her own blood. And nothing to do but fight it.

Speaking of which..."Want to wash that all down the sink and come lurk menacingly in front of a dull suburban family?"

His face broke into a grin. "Lead the way."
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... I'm not sure whether or not I want to pick this up. I mean, it's great that you loved it, but it sounds scary. xD I can't do scary at all. Anything involving ghosts or exorcisms or possession, or the rising dead, or nightmares totally make me freak. I swear, TWILIGHT got me scared when I first read it (yes, it's very painful to admit that). I'm not sure... Maybe I shall try it... eventually... since you say it's really good. :)

    Anywhoo, great review Jen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina - This series is so awesome! I don't know if you read Adult Fiction, but I just loved it. It was so different from everything I've ever read that I just can't get enough. I keep going back and reading my favorite parts of the books. I feel lost because the 4th book wont be out til this fall or something. *sigh* I don't know if it would scare you. Twilight didn't scare me (and I'm easily scared as well). The 6th Harry Potter scared the living daylights out of me and I DO NOT watch scary movies. Period! Zombie books do tend to freak me out though. But this book didn't scare me because it's a little twisted. There are no god's or satan evils, just ghosts. I think that's why I could handle it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails