Friday, January 14, 2011

Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts No.2) by Stacia Kane

Title: Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts No.2)
Author: Stacia Kane
Pages: 343
Published: June 22nd, 2010 by Del Rev
Synopsis:

ENEMIES DON’T NEED TO BE ALIVE TO BE DEADLY.

For Chess Putnam, finding herself near-fatally poisoned by a con psychic and then stopping a murderous ghost is just another day on the job. As an agent of the Church of Real Truth, Chess must expose those looking to profit from the world’s unpleasant little poltergeist problem—humans filing false claims of hauntings—all while staving off any undead who really are looking for a kill. But Chess has been extra busy these days, coping with a new “celebrity” assignment while trying on her own time to help some desperate prostitutes.

Someone’s taking out the hookers of Downside in the most gruesome way, and Chess is sure the rumors that it’s the work of a ghost are way off base. But proving herself right means walking in the path of a maniac, not to mention standing between the two men in her life just as they—along with their ruthless employers—are moving closer to a catastrophic showdown. Someone is dealing in murder, sex, and the supernatural, and once again Chess finds herself right in the crossfire.(from goodreads.com)

Admittedly, this book may have been a bit more frightening than the first. I think it was the scene with the dead cockroaches that did it. Yeah, a ghost book and the cockroaches are what freaked me out. I have issues that I'm not fully willing to admit to *wink wink*. But, this book was still genuinely fabulous.


This second in the series of Downside Ghosts as I said was just freaking AMAZING! I loved it even more than the first and I just can't believe how it turned out in the end. Okay, maybe I can believe it, and maybe Chess had it coming, but come on people, Chess' life up until now has been total and obliterated crap! Bring on the pills! (If you don't know what I' m talking about here, check my review of book one HERE)


Did someone say pills? And oh the drugs there were in this book the second. Stacia Kane never ceases to amaze me with what she comes up with in these books. Especially as far as our dearest Chessie and Terrible are concerned.


In this story, there was a new ghosts, a new threat and might I say a crazy intense withdrawal scene. Which by the way, I'm thinking that Terrible is so awesome that I can't even describe the words for him.


But, back onto this crazy all around review that I'm attempting to produce (not really hitting my mark eh?). We have all of our favorite characters back on the scene, Chess (of course), Terrible (yum), and Lex (lickable). They all play their different roles in the plot and they all play their different roles on my heart strings.


Chess is back with her kick ass witchy self, banishing ghosts and trying to save the hookers. (trying to save the hookers? Oh yeah, that's right!) Hookers from both sides (2 different drug lords) are finding themselves killed at every bend. It was kind of crazy brutal and kind of crazy brilliant. Chess just rocks the scene and I love her for it.


Then of course is my dear Terrible. Who by the way still has me wrapped. He may not be the best looking guy around, but he is definitely the most amazing. I love LOVE love him. And there are some really REALLY good scenes in this one that I definitely wished for more of. Although, that whole scene in the graveyard (for anyone who's read it) kind of drove a spear through my heart for him.


Then there is Lex. Who by the way, although sexy as hell, may be a little bit evil. Not evil as in satanic, but evil as in a seducer of all things female. Yeah, he totally gets his kicks and giggles from turning on the woman. Damn hot men!


To close it up, because in all reality, this review is all over the charts, this book was awesome. I loved every second of it. I loved the emotional roller coaster that Kane put me through, I loved all the scenes that made the characters turn around and wonder what the hell happened to their lives. I loved all the scenes with the epic bouts of honesty and sexual flouncing/tension. I just loved it all and I am in love with Downside, Chess and will always love Terrible. For those who haven't read the series, You must pick it up. Because the dark plot will have you flipped inside out for it's characters and devastatingly original plot. Yeah, it may not be for everyone, being that our main character is a total addict, but she is brilliant and I just love the sic twistedness of it all.


So, if your looking for a book with a dark underlying, a sexy cemetery scene, ghosts galore, animals that can take your soul to the underworld (so to speak), a haunting of a mansion wherein lives some swingers and a story that you won't soon forget, you MUST go get your own copy.


Now!


Rating: 5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Quotes:

"Aye, some things ain't easy to move past. No difference how hard you hit, never leaves all the way. Like that? An they wants their fair evens an come back to get it."(Terrible)


She blinked, trying to soothe the stinging in her eyes. "Doesn't work that way, though."(Chess)


"Naw. Ain't can change aught what's already done. Only can try an lose the memory, but ain't can lose it real. So them just keep thinkin on it. Like cars on blocks, don't go nowhere."


His eyes lowered, away from her face to his feet. Chess watched him reach up and rub the back of his neck, watched him pull another cigarette out of his pocket.


"Yeah," she said. "I think that's a lot what it's like for them. For everyone, really."

Water running. Big hands on her head, on her arms. He pressed something cool against her forehead, wiped her face clean. It felt good. It felt amazing. "Chess. C'mon, Chess. You keep aught down?"


Her answer was a sob. Now that he was there, now that she knew he would help her, all she could do was cry.


"Gimme that now." The trash can left her arms. "All be right, aye? Hang on."


"I can't." She fell forward. His broad chest caught her, so hard, so strong, and she huddled against it. Tried to climb into it, to become part of him and never have to be alone again. Cold still clung to his coat, it must have been freezing out there. "I can't, shit I'm sorry, thank you, please help me, please help me thank you so much...please Terrible I'm so sorry..."


He gripped her shoulders and set her back against the wall. For some reason this made her feel even worse. She really was disgusting, wasn't she? He couldn't even bear to look at her. Good thing she hadn't called Lex, then. It hadn't even occurred to her.


Another cramp hit and wiped the thought from her mind She bit her lip and tasted blood. Her stomach roiled again; she lunged for the trash can and threw up. Kept throwing up. then fell to the floor. No strength left to hold herself up. Her hands clawed the carpet. Terrible picked her up, set her against the wall again. "Cool, Chess. Let's get you right up, aye? Gimme your arm."


"What--no, no. No needles, please, no needles..."


"No choice, baby. C'mon. You ain't keep aught down, you ain't swallow no pills. True thing, Chessiebomb. Lemme do this."


"I can't"


"Aye, you can. C'mon. Left me some footprints in that snow outside like an arrow, dig? Ain't got much time afore somebody sees, them security keep the schedule you say."

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. A cemetery scene? You mean for real? Lol indeed quite a book! I will check it out if I have a chance, thanks for an awesome review and quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book turned out to be better than I expected!

    My two favorite scenes are the bathroom (OD) scene and the graveyard scene. They are far from peachy, but Stacia did a phenomenal job writing them. It's like you're right there with Chess!

    The graveyard scene was especially gut-wrenching! Chess had it coming, I admit, but even so...my heart breaks for her and Terrible.

    I just started City of Ghosts and I can't wait to see what happens to them next!

    Great review!
    ♥Isalys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Chess and Terrible! The cemetery scene in this book just about ripped my heart out, I could have died when she saw Terrible there. And when he calls her Chessiebomb? *swoon* Stacia is definitely a master of the emotional roller coaster just like you said, Downside is addicting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anachronist - Oh yes, there is a graveyard scene. There is some sex magic being worked there.

    @Isalys - It was so heart wrenching when it went down. I was so mesmerized by that bathroom scene. And then what he tells her on the rooftop. I wanted to cry. I think I got all teary.

    @Jenny - it was actually your comment that kicked me into gear to get going on that first book. It was dragging my feet at first, but man once I got into it, I loved it. And I'm posting up my review of book 3 in the next couple days, but whenever he calls her "Chessiebomb", it just gets me. Definite swoon! I love Terrible.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails