Friday, February 4, 2011

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers No.1) by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers No.1)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Pages: 279
Published: August 1st 2009 by Harlequin
Read: January 26, 2011
Challenges: Cover Love (January: Red Cover)
Synopsis: She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next
(from goodreads.com)


Originally I picked up this book because I was looking for an adult novel to read that was different...original. As I said, last post, I've been in a rut and it seemed that every book I had recently picked up didn't really grab me. This is never usually the case. Most of the time I can read an entire book even if I'm not really into it at first, so I was getting frustrated.

Needless to say, this book is NOT an adult book, it's YA. Normally, that really wouldn't bother me, this time though, it did.

I think I was just looking for something super specific and this book didn't give it to me. All this in mind, I think that's why I didn't care for it as much as some I've read. Yah, the story line is more original as far as the topic matter is concerned (topic being a specific species of fey), but I was still bored. I thought the relationship happened too fast and I didn't really get it ("it" being the relationship). I mean, yah, personality wise they were meshable as boyfriend/girlfriend, but it was kind of weird and almost impersonal. There just wasn't enough development of the relationship for me to feel it, I guess is what I'm trying to say.


Also, I've never fully understood, on the part of the main character, when they feel the need to confide their deepest darkest secrets into men/boys they've just met because they can just feel something. Come on people, I feel all sorts of things on a regular basis, doesn't mean I want to divulge my darkest secrets all of the sudden. I'm sure maybe if magic was added into the mix I'd just expel My Life Story and the world would then flip off its axis and we would all grow wings and fly, but as of right now, the magic in the world is staying out of my life (much to my chagrin), so I'm stuck as is and My Life Story is stayin' with me.

Now that I've ranted a little bit, I will say this, I still enjoyed the book. I thought that the soul screamer aspect was pretty cool and not something covered in a lot of books today. Although, I would have liked to see a lot more screaming (due to my current fascination with dark fantasy), but it was fun and enjoyable. I actually read the thing in about 2 days which is slow for that many pages, but shows that I still enjoyed it.

Mostly though, the characters were kind of boring and forgettable albeit, I liked them when I was reading them. My favorite character and the one I can remember was the soul collector Todd. I think I enjoy Death as a funny humanish character. It intrigues me.

Overall, I thought the book to be well written and enjoyable and although I'm not too excited currently to bust out with the sequel, the first was pretty cool. I'm not sure that if I would have been in a better mood or possibly on the look out for a YA book if my taste would have ran a little higher, but as it stands now, this book doesn't reach amazing status. However, it's still worthy of a read.

Rating: 3.5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you back in busines Jen and I must say I loved your review. One book of this series I intend to read but I do appreciate any reviews concerning other parts as well. I wouldn't like to fall in another pitfall, like it was with the "Fallen".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it was quite a let down. The synopsis does sound good, though =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that is too bad. I wanted to read this series. I just have not made time from my labortory duties for this one. Yes, sad thoughts when ones doesn't have time to read. But alas, I have others to get to.

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails