Monday, February 14, 2011

Once Bitten (Haven No.1) by Kalayna Price

Title: Once Bitten (Haven No.1)
Author: Kalayna Price
Pages: 276
Publsihed: January 9th, 2009 by Bell Bridge Books
Read: February 12th, 2011
Synopsis: Vampires and Shapeshifters.
A Fictionwise bestseller: No. 1 on the Fictionwise Dark Fantasy list in Feb. 2009

Kita Nekai, on the run and the smallest of her shifter clan-a calico cat among lions and tigers-is being hunted. She was expected to accept her role as her father's successor whether or not her cat was up to the task of leading the clan. She disagreed. Now she's less than a step ahead of the hunters, bone-tired, cold, and living hand-to-mouth in the city of Haven. And that's the high point of her day. She's also drugged, "accidently" turned into a vampire, and sentenced to death for recklessly creating a rogue shifter who tortures its human prey. She's got seventy-two hours to find the rogue, evade a city full of hunters, prove she's not responsible for the rogue, and keep the vampire council from killing her. All while sorting out an apprentice mage, a married ex-boyfriend shifter-hunter, and the vampire who made her.
This book was freaking awesome. I have grown very fond of all books by Kalayna Price (see review of Grave Witch HERE). I wish there were so many more to read. *sigh* As there are currently only three, I'll be waiting on bended knee for the rest to be released.

Til then, here is my review:

This particular novel is about a shifter turned vampire. Kita (coolest name by the way), had grown up as a calico cat shifter. I was cracking up at that one, nothing like being a six pound kitty to really make you feel as uncomfortable as possible in a world of Lions, Tigers and Bears (oh my!). But, that doesn't stop Kita from pushing for survival and running from the life she'd always known. I don't blame her, to be so confined to a way of life is way too oppressing.

Kita ends up in Haven were she ends up turned into a vampire by the sexy professor, Nathaniel (don't get any ideas, he is way to chaste for this book *wink wink*). Anyhoo, as you can imagine, Kita is pretty pissed by the whole thing and I can't really blame her. I think it's why I love her so much as a character. She is super stubborn and there is no insta-feelings. She doesn't suddenly let go of all the pain in her life and embrace a life of vampirism. I think it makes the whole thing a bit more realistic. The character development invested in Kita by Price is amazing to me. It's tugged me into this world of shifter/vampire making me itch for more.

Kita though, she is so stubborn and even though sometimes I want to slap her upside the head, I can't blame her, I can only move through the story with her feeling her pain. She pushes and pushes because she doesn't want to be hurt and I get that, no matter how sad that is that I get it, I just do. But, I also love that she isn't prone to complaining about it. Life sucks, but what can yah do?! Just try to make it out alive if you're Kita.

Then, there is Nathanial *licks lips*. I've always been into the scholarly type. A guy who can keep up with me, that's my thinking. He's definitely a good guy, with a little bit of sexy bad on the side. Thank heavens he isn't one of those vamps who is like I don't want to be a monster because I don't think I could have handled that. No, he is what he is and he's fine with it. I really enjoyed his character and how we find out little things about him as I kept reading. He just became more and more sexy and lovable. I would also say he was alluring in most senses of the word. *prrrrrrrrrrr*

So, I guess what I'm saying is, Price has created another delectable piece of fiction with Once Bitten. She has thrown me into this crazy world of Haven where vampires are sadistic and fun to read as well as shifters who change into bobcats and still have the ability to take out homicidal vamps. I highly recommend you give this book a read because Kalayna Price has created a brilliant novel with Once Bitten, the first in the Haven series!

Rating: 4.5/5 PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Quotes:
An hour ago I'd thought a city named Haven would be good luck. Now I wondered who it was supposed to be a haven for--polar bears and penguins?

"I am not threatening you Kita. Honestly, I am worried about you. I want us to be friends, all right?"(Nathanial)

The laugh that escaped my throat wasn't a happy sound. The memory of his astonished voice whispering that I wasn't human echoed in my head. Did he think I was something eh could keep in a cage? Domesticate? "Do you usually make friends by holding them hostage and chaining them in a basement with a mad woman who forces them to drink blood?"

I received this book free of charge from Bell Bridge Books in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Ok, this book sounds absolutely delicious. Love the review, Jen! There's something haunting about that cover, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a book I would like to read - thanks for a nice review and your visits, I do appreciate both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the sound of this one! I've heard Grave Witch is fabulous so I'm glad to know you are enjoying this series as well. It definitely needs to go on my list:)

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails