Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair No.1) by Allison Pang

Title: A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair No.1)
Author: Allison Pang
Pages: 343
Published: January 25th, 2011
Read: March 23, 2011
Synopsis: The man of her dreams might be the cause of her nightmares.

Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage. But despite her growing knowledge of the OtherWorld, Abby isn’t at all prepared for Brystion, the dark, mysterious, and sexy-as- sin incubus searching for his sister, convinced Abby has the key to the succubus’s whereabouts. Abby has enough problems without having this seductive shape-shifter literally invade her dreams to get information. But when her Faery boss and some of her friends vanish, as well, Abby and Brystion must form an uneasy alliance. As she is sucked deeper and deeper into this perilous world of faeries, angels, and daemons, Abby realizes her life is in as much danger as her heart—and there’s no one she can trust to save her.

I originally heard about this book from one of Nicole Peeler's pimpin' it posts on her blog and I simply couldn't resist its taunts. I mean, come on, what could be better than a horny miniature unicorn living in her lingerie drawer. Given, that kind of thing may not be for everyone, but I absolutely loved it, being that I've always wanted a unicorn. Now that I'm grown, it would be so much more fun if said unicorn was a smart a$$ who could hack it in the real world with the best of 'em.


So, anyway, I was lucky enough to have won my very own copy from Angela over at Dark Faerie Tales. Thanks Angela!


On with the review:

Our lovely story of Angels, Demons, Fey and humanity is a fun twist on what would have been the Same Old Story. Abby is a Touchstone for The Protectorate, what exactly that means, Abby has no freakin' clue. Doesn't stop her from truckin' along and trying to keep up appearances. At the beginning of our story, she meets Brystion, the uber sexy incubus with the "8th wonder of the world for an a$$". It's not love at first sight, but there is a definite lust attraction and even though for quite a bit of the book Abby can't decide whether to beat him or hump him, she figures it out by the end.


I absolutely enjoyed this book. I'm sure it had something to do with Abby's ability to say the, flat out, best things she was thinking. I always enjoy a girl who doesn't mind spitting out the truth hell to the consequences. And even though Abby is totally lost in this world of Touchstones, Doors and the Crossroads, she tries to figure it out. I really liked her, she was pained in horrible ways and it didn't miraculously just heal, and that made me like her more. She was delicious in all her eccentricities...and...I wouldn't mind having her hair.


Brystion was a yummy sort of male, brought into the book as a lovely display of man flesh that deserved to be spanked, I tell yah that much. He was a delectable addition to the book who in the end, I thought to be a perfect fit as a character. He was kind of a jerk off at times, but it was a perfect fit. Maybe because he wasn't always that way, but still, I'd lick him from head to toe (even with horns and hooves *prrrrrrr*). I think at the top of the list was that Brystion, the incubus, is what he is and he was fine with it - mostly. At least he was fine with being an incubus, he wasn't going to pretend he was anything else other than a sex/dream fiend who could give all sorts of metaphysical pleasures. It was fun for me, to say the least. *grins maniacally*


Pang's debut novel was fun and sarcastic and a lovely twist to the urban fantasy genre. I think the kicker was our miniature unicorn, because seriously, what is better than a unicorn. Anyone who says there is, is lying and should be cornered and shot by the Fantasy Mafia (if you disagree, that's okay, but beware the Fantasy Mafia).


The plot itself was a lovely, turning, twisting thing that lead me on all sorts of roads of well paced craziness. With violin playing Touchstones who open Doorways and sword wielding angels who deserve a kick to the crotch, there was lots of goodies to go around. If you are looking for something fun and different and don't mind a bit of bacon, go, NOW, and get your own copy.


Rating: 4/5 1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus

Quotes:

The woman in the painting was soft and pale and naked. There was a proud thrust to her jaw as she stared down at me, her dark eyes half-lidded and smoky with kohl. I would have had to slaughter a horde of Avon ladies in ritual sacrifice to have skin that luminous and milky white.

"It's not your fault," the incubus said softly. (Brystion)


"No, it's not," I snarled. "You were the one that had to try to get all up on my lady softness."(Abby)


"Didn't see you fighting it." His eyes flared for a moment and then he looked away.

I had a naked incubus in my bedroom. With a frying pan of half-cooked bacon and a hard-on. And a unicorn bite on his ass. Christ, this was turning out to be a weird morning.

"I'm not sure they've got much of a choice," I sighed. "But speaking of that, I suppose we ought to get this thing started. All I need now is a master plan."


"Got anything in mind?(Melanie - Violin playing Touchstone)

"Sit back and wait for my new special power to show up? Seems to work that way in all the Faery tales, doesn't it?" I crossed my arms. "What do you think? Will I be able to shoot fire out my ass or just control all the werewolves in the neighborhood through the awesomeness of my Sex-Fu?"


The ghost of a smile crossed her face. "I'll be sure to pick up a bag of marshmallows. I'd really dig an ass-fire s'more right about now."

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. You crack me up, this review was hilarious with all your licking and purring:) I have to say I was tempted to lick the pages Brystion was on as well, so I can't really talk. The unicorn was ridiculous, I was dying when he kept burrowing into her underwear. Can't wait for the next book, this was a fabulous start to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenny - Agreed! I don't think she has even started it though, so it may be a bit. Phin cracked me up when he started talking. Nothing like your uber-cute, super-soft, itty-bitty unicorn turning out to be a horny-leg-humping male. I was just glad Abby wasn't fawning all over Brystion, she strait up told him he was hot. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved the sassy quotes and your review can be as enticing as the book. Even though it is not my genre I might be tempted - really tempted! I featured your blog among my favourites - your reviews have great personality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How hot is that cover! I think you may have just recommended this one to me ;) Oh, look at that rating. Fairly high! & and my oh my, what a great review!

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading this book right now. So far I agree with your assessment 100%.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails