Thursday, March 17, 2011

Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep - a Series Review


Spider's Bite
Web of Lies
Venom


I actually read this series a couple weeks ago, but with everything going on I haven't been able to get up a review. So, now, I've decided on a series review as the first three have already been released and the fourth, Tangled Threads, is scheduled to be released April 26th, 2011.

I really and truly loved this series. Gin, our lead character is a tough assassin in a city gone to hell where the cops are as corrupt as they come and if you want something done right, you'd better have the money to pay someone or the balls to do it yourself. This city, ran by the e-vil Mab Monroe aka fire elemental extraordinaire, is not for the weak of heart.

Gin, our double wheeling elemental, kills for a living, it's not a big deal, it's just what must be done and she happens to make a lot of money doing it.

I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. Estep's writing, was page turning and exciting. I could understand her characters and get into their heads enough to understand the paths they followed. Gin, was one of my favorites because she could look at things from a logical point of view and take them at face value. If she wanted a guy, she wanted a guy and she went for it. If someone needed to die, Gin would do it because it needed to be done and the blood didn't bother her. C'est la vie.

Finn, her adoptive big brother and lady shmoozer, was a fun sidekick in all the adventures and I couldn't help loving him despite his love of sex. He really did take it to an all new art form.

I think one of my favorite things about this series was the nonchalant attitude of the things they had to do like killing and fraud. It cracked me up because they had to do the dirty to get the city clean and even though they weren't necessarily in it just to be the good guys, they were still in the fight (and were still pretty much the good guys). I've always appreciated a character who is written truly human. Gin, while although supernatural in essence, still was human at heart. She was heartless for a good reason and although she could construct all kinds of walls around her, she could never get rid of the pain altogether. She just pushed through all of it the best she could. I'd say she is definitely an ingenious character with being tough hearted and still loving in many aspects.

The other thing I loved about this book was the difference in supernatural creatures and gifts. We get the elemental side of things which was pretty freaking awesome. Then, we get the usual vampires, but in excess to this there are giants and dwarfs. What is more brilliant than an 8 foot giant who needs no weapons because he can beat you to death in a couple punches?! Or dwarfs who while tall at 5 feet can pack more of a punch in their fist than a giant and whose skin doesn't need a rock elemental's gift to harden it, it's thicker than a bullet can penetrate.

All of these things wrapped up together with unique personalities and traits make for a crazy twisted plot that drags the reader through dirty streets and molested people and whips, with a frenzy, down deranged plot roads with alleys full of insane elementals who want power and will do anything to get it. If you are looking for a new array of characters and a fun and witty narrator who doesn't mind letting you know when men are looking delicious, go and pick up the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep and you won't be disappointed.

(NOTE: This book is ADULT FICTION and may contain things that are not appropriate for younger audiences including scenes of sensuality.)


Tangled Threads (Elemental Assasin No. 4)
by
Jennifer Estep (visit Jennifer Estep's blog HERE)
Release Date: April 26th, 2011
Find it at:
Goodreads.com
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble
Borders
Book Depository


Series Rating: 4/5 1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus

Quotes:
"My name is Gin, and I kill people."

Normally, my confession would have elicited gasps of surprise. Pale faces. Nervous sweat. Stifled screams. An overturned chair or two as people scrambled to get away before i buried a knife in their heart--or back. A sucking wound was a sucking wound. I wasn't picky about where I caused it.

"Hi, Gin," four people chorused back to me in perfect, dull, monotone unison.

But not in this place. Within the walled confines of Ashland Asylum, my confession, true though it might be, didn't even merit a raised eyebrow, much less shock and frightened awe. I was relatively normal compared to the freaks of nature and magic who populated the grounds. Like Jackson, the seven-foot-tall albino giant seated to my left who drooled worse than a mastiff and gurgled like a three-month-old-child. (Spider's Bite)

I felt like I was on fire--from the inside out.

Hot needles stabbed up and down my body in a slow, relentless, agonizing path. My raw face, my broken jaw, my cracked ribs. The needles swept over everything, like I was some sort of warped voodoo doll come to life. The hot tingles made everything hurt even worse than it had before. (Venom)


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. You know, I might be tempted despite myself. Your review was written in such an enticing way that I will look for this series for sure. The quotes you've chosen are funny and intelligent. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed this series Jen, it's a favorite of mine! Gin just rocks, I can't get enough of her and her combination of kick-ass heroine and vulnerable woman. And Finn? I could read a whole book about Finn:) Can't wait for the rest of the books, I never tire of Gin and company!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails