Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Matched, The False Princess and Prom & Prejudice: Mini Book Reviews

Title: Matched (Matched No. 1)
Author: Ally Condie
Pages: 366
Published: November 30th, 2010
Rating: 3.5/530PX30PX30PX30PX

I really did enjoy this book, but it moved so slowly. It seemed that with all the feelings going on with the characters being so serious and somewhat fierce, I would have felt it a little more than I did. I still really liked Cassia, the main character and of course Ky, her love interest, but I felt for Xander the whole time even though he wasn't in the book excessively (he is Cassia's best friend). The love story between Cassia and Ky was actually good and well developed which was really nice, but I really would have liked a little more speed in the book and to feel more of the feelings Cassia was feeling instead of them being so 2-dimensional. I am excited for the next book, though!


Title: The False Princess
Author: Ellis O'Neal
Pages: 336
Published: January 25th, 2011
Rating: 4/5 30PX30PX30PX30PX

This was a surprisingly, fabulous read. I had heard good things about it, but I really liked it. The writing was good and the story line was amusing and engaging. I loved the story of the false princess and how she tries to figure out her true life. I also loved her best friend and as all of you know, I'm definitely a fan of best friend from childhood who end up in a romance. I think I also enjoyed this book because it had a surprising twist concerning the princess that I definitely wasn't expecting. I actually read this whole book in one sitting starting at 10:00 p.m. one night (I was mad at the hubster, LOL!). Anyway, if you are looking for a light read that is different and fun that still makes you feel something (I cried a bit), you should pick this up!

Title: Prom & Prejudice
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Pages: 231
Published: January 1st, 2011
Rating: 3/5 30PX30PX30PX

First off, I'd like to say that I really loved Eulberg's first book, The Lonely Hearts Club, so I was expecting something similar in this book. However, I didn't get exactly what I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty good and I was very glad that the story line wasn't exactly like the original Pride & Prejudice book, BUT the language it was written in kind of sucked, in my personal opinion. It is supposed to be contemporary fiction that takes place in today's day and age in New York, no less. So, being that it sounded like super proper form of English really turned me off. I kept reading thinking, no one talks like that, especially at the age of 17! That is really my highest complaint. Also, I would have hoped for a little more Darcy and some of the actual conversations that took place, to help develop the relationship, but I didn't get it. I really do enjoy dialogue in books(random sidenote here people). But, overall, I liked the story and the characters were fun, in their own way and I love that cover!

8 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed things about Matched and Prom and Prejudice but this was the first I've read about The False Princess - it sounds pretty interesting and I'm impressed that you read it in one night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Matched" is on my TBR list - I have read different oppinions so I am curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't a fan of Matched, but I thought P & P was super cute and I really loved The False Princess...definitely twisty and turny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matched was one of my favorite reads last year, but people definitely either love it or are kind "meh" about it:) I agree it was slow though, and I'm hoping we get more development for Cassia in the second book since she's breaking out of the society mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great mini review, Jen! I'm with you on Matched. I never connected with the characters, so that was rough for me. I haven't tried Prom & Prejudice because I didn't like the author's other book, The Lonely Hearts Club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @lisa:) - I had a feeling I was going to be on the fence about Matched, It seems the case with dystopian lately. As for the False Princess, it was definitely a good read. I think I'd even reread it.

    @anachronist - My dearest, you usually are *wink wink*. I know you love to go against the flow which is why I love your library/reviews. You always make me think outside of my box!

    @Jasmine - I thought P&P would have been better with different speech. I was glad for it being different than the original P&P. As for The False Princess, it was the review on your blog that made me pick it up, so thanks for that!

    @Jenny - Normally I can do slow, no problem. But this one seemed boring almost, but mostly just in the first quarter of the book. I'd say by halfway I was over it and could keep going. I agree, I think the next will be a lot better now that Cassia has found out the truth of life.

    @Melissa - I've missed you around here! I didn't think you would have read Prom & Prejudice because I remember you telling me you really didn't like the Lonely Hearts Club that much. I think I was just hoping for more from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH, a lover of the fun quick reviews. How I adore you ;)

    I feel unequipped to respond here. *shakes head* I have not read one of these books. Matched has had so many border line reviews that I have not made the effort to get ahold of this one as of yet.

    However, The False Princess is still on my radar!

    Mad Scientsit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its awesome all of the time to view how folks can compose wonderful stuff about people topics! Thank you and I ve bookmarked you

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails