Monday, April 11, 2011

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare - A Book Review

Title: City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments No.4)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Published: April 5th, 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry
Pages: 424
Synopsis: Click for Summary
ISBN: 1442403543 (ISBN13: 9781442403543)
Age Appropriate Content: This book does have some swearing, a lot of kissing and making out and some almost, on the verge sex scenes, but they never happen. There is a most amazing dirty sexy alley scene. There is a lot of relationship scenes and talk of love

NO SPOILERS************

I'm going to try and keep this review short.

The fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series was a surprising display of fiction that I can honestly say I didn't quite expect. When I first started it, I had a little bit of trouble because I wasn't fully connecting with the characters. I chalk this up to the very LARGE gap between the 3rd book and the 4th. Plus, I also feel that the characters kind of changed in between books, just a little.

Jace didn't seem to be as snarky and I truly missed that. Plus, Magnus was sorely lacking in makeup and outfit descriptions. I know this is so minimal, but I had to get it off my chest. No worries though. After a little while, it all came back to me and I fell in love with Clary and Jace and their epic relationship, Simon and his new found vampire mojo, Isabelle and her kick ass properties, Alec and his electric blue eyes, Magnus and his fondness for anything that raises eyebrows. All this hodge podge of crazy mixed together really pushes for some interesting text, if I do say so.

This book brought with in a myriad of new information and interesting back stories on characters we thought we knew and characters we get to meet. I was amazed and the details that I did not know before that now make so much sense into the lives of these amazingly humanistic characters that are supernatural, somewhere along the line.

I was actually glad for the premise of the story because it felt more real to keep it how Clare did than to mix it up too much. I'm refuse to spoil this particular plot line because it's against my book rules, but let me say that it was pretty brilliant.

Overall, I ended up loving it. All those who are a fan of The Mortal Insturments series, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh, and Jace is still smokin' hot and so drool worth you may want to keep tissue next to you.

Spoiler:

Can you all believe what we find out about Isabelle's dad?!?! I'm not surprised, but it totally makes sense and Isabelle, while still a kick ass killer and fashionista doesn't seem so superficial!

Rating: 4.5/5 1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus1 Small Red Hibiscus

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you loved this one too Jen! I just finished and now am a little depressed after that ending that I have to wait a whole year for more Jace. He definitely wasn't as snarky this time, he was a bit darker, but he still had some pretty good lines I thought:) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet to discover this series but thank you for a very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassandra Clare never disappoints! I could not have imagined that a twisted path lay waiting for Jace and Clary to walk. Or that Simon would slowly develop into a bad ass! I am going to have a difficult time waiting for the next book and wondering what the heck the author is going to write! Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails