Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Demonglass (Hex Hall No.2) by Rachel Hawkins - A Book Review

Title: Demonglass (Hex Hall No.2)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages: 359
Published: March 1st, 2011 by Hyperion Books
Synopsis: Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?(from goodreads.com)

The second installment in the Hex Hall series, Demonglass - wow! I don't know exactly what I thought would happen, but let me just say that I most definitely was NOT expecting the introduction of another guy in the stands for Sophie's affection and I most definitely was NOT expecting an ending like the one Hawkins, oh so generously, hoisted upon me. The first book in the series, Hex Hall, was fun, it was delightful, it was a precursor to the madness that is Demonglass. I mean, the plot was intense and the characters were funny and fabulous and the ending *takes a deep breath* was a helluva cliff, I tell yah that much!

The book starts off with our lead, Sophie Mercer, being thrown into a pond/lake for her "P.E." class. There, she is to pretend to drown and then use her powers to get out. Being that this is Sophie we are talking about...that's not quite how it goes...but, we still get a glimpse at our newest guy (technically not new as much as reintroduced with more charcterization) - Cal.
"You'll be fine," he said. "And if you're not up in a few minutes, I'll save you."

Something fluttered inside my chest, catching me by surprise. I hadn't felt anything like that since Archer had disappeared. It probably didn't mean anything. The sun was shinning through Cal's dark blond hair, and his hazel eyes were picking up the light bouncing off the water. Plus, he was carrying me like I didn't weigh anything. Of course I'd feel butterflies when a guy who looked like that said something so swoon-worthy.

"Thanks," I said. Over his soulder, I saw my mom watching us from the front porch of what had been cal's cabin. She'd been staying there for the past six months while we waited for my dad to come get me and take me to Council Headquarters in London.

Six months later, and we were still waiting.

Mom frowned, and I wanted to giver her a thums-up to let her know I was okay. All I could manage was raising my bound hands in her general direction, clocking Cal on the chin as I did so. "Sorry."

"No problem. Must be weird for you, having your mom here."

"Weird for me, weird for her, probably weird for you since you had to give up your swinging bachelor pad."

"Mrs. Casnoff let me install my heart-shaped Jacuzzi in my new dorm room."

"Cal," I said with mock astonishment, "did you just make a joke?"

"Maybe," he replied. We'd reached the end of the pier. I looked down at the water and tried not to shudder.

"I'll be pretending, of course, but do you have any advice on how I'm supposed to not drown?" I asked Cal.

"Don't breathe in any water."

"Oh, thanks, that's super helpful."

Cal shifted me in his arms, I tensed. Just before he tossed me into the pond, he leaned in and whispered, "Good luck."

And then I hit the water.

Now, I know what you are thinking, its another love triangle. But before you run away from the screen, *stop* this one isn't quite like the others and to be perfectly honest, it didn't bother me. In fact, I'm totally Team Cal now and feel that if Archer does get the girl (which I'm sure that he will because book fate is EVIL like that), I'm going to be heart broken. I'm not usually on the team of the other guy, but OMG, am I on this one! Also, there are a bunch of twists in this book concerning Cal and Sophie that I was surprised to find, made the whole triangle totally worth it!

Of course, Jenna our lesbian vamp is in this one and she is as adorable as ever in all of her pinkness.

In the book we also get to meet Sophie's dad who turns out really isn't all that horrible. And, to top it off, there are all sorts of secrets going on behind the scenes that Hawkins only hints at. I think she was trying to kill me, but she did not succeed (ha ha! Thought you could take me huh?!). I'm living on purpose to read the next installment where I can guess at some of the little things I'm missing, but I was so surprised with the bad guy(s) in this book I almost slapped myself. There was definite forehead banging in this one and it was well worth it because I prefer to be surprised over being able to guess the plot lines.

So, if you haven't picked up the Hex Hall series, you should give it a try because it's a fun YA read with witches, warlocks and, of course, demons. *insert evil laugh here*



7 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you mention you're not normally on the "other guy" team in books - that's exactly how I am! I'm almost always on the team of the guy I know is going to get the girl and that works out for me, but I'm so solidly on Team Cal after this one it's not even a contest really. I know it will probably be Archer, but I adore Cal! So glad you liked this one as much as I did Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review just cracked me up! "I'm living on purpose to read the next installment..." and "I was so surprised with the bad guys in this book I almost slapped myself." Lol...

    I thought Hex Hall was a quick, fun read, but Demonglass sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I loved your review. I'm so glad you are living to read the next one! I gave this book the same rating, but obviously some different words for it lol. Feel free to check it out sometime. :)

    http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/2011/03/demonglass-by-rachel-hawkins.html

    I hope you're having a great day!

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review and so very funny! I hope you will live happily ever after the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Team Cal too! :) I'll be upset if Sophie ends up with Archer too. I'm kind of worried that is what's going to happen! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i want to read that book so bad! I can't wait for it to come out here, and your review only made me want to read it even more!

    PS: I swear a fly came into my mouth while i was staring openmouthed at your beautiful blog design. It's gorgeous. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenny - I know, and I'm already a bit sad because I really DON'T want Archer to end up with her. Cal is so much better. Plus, he is sizzling hot.

    @Katie - I agree, Hex Hall was a quick fun read. This one is a little bit more serious and intense, but still fun. I like Hawkins' novels for their ability to flow and keep me attentive.

    @Sakura - I'll have to come check it out. It really was an enjoyable read.

    @anachronist - I'm sure I will. It would be sad to die over a book, don't you think? *wink, wink*

    @Jacinda - I know exactly what you're saying! Why do they do evil things like that to us? Cal really needs to win. I'm immensely tired of "good guys finishing last". Get me?

    @Stray - It's excellent. I know you aren't the hugest fan of witches, but I really do love this series. There is just something sweet and innocent about it while also a little evil. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside. :D

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails