Monday, April 18, 2011

Hex Hall /Hex Hall No.1/ by Rachel Hawkins - Book Review

Title: Hex Hall (Hex Hall No.1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages: Kindle Edition
Published:
Read: October 29, 2010
Synopsis: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

I actually read this book way back last year. I thought I'd posted this review, but I guess I didn't, so here it is now, LOL! Enjoy.

To be honest, when I started this book I had absolutely no idea what it was about. You’d think I would since it was on my TBR list, but, hey, being that there are so many on it, I think I totally spaced. Turns out is was really pretty good – oh, and about witches. So, I guess going into the story not knowing a thing may be a good idea all around.


This book, for all those who do want to know, like I said is about witches. Yes, the casting, I’m going to turn you into a frog kind of witch. Actually, it also has vampires, werewolves, shape shifters and faeries. Mostly though, it is more based around witches and our main character Sophie Mercer, who is also a witch.

Sophie is sent off to Hex Hall for some…uhhhh…let’s say bad decisions on her part (hahaha, if you call bad decisions making someone totally off their rocker). Anyhoo, Sophie and boarding school….

Off to boarding school she goes where she meets our scandalously sexy Archer Cross. Even the name inspires me to purr. *prrrr* Of course, he is the bad boy/jerk/brilliant witch…(uhh, warlock?)…with whom Sophie ends up in detention with.

Yup, that’s right. Detention for an entire semester, you naughty boy! (I’m a dork!)

I think my favorite scene is either the one where Sophie gets to make her own dress for the dance or when she makes a huge pile of No.2 pencils appear out of nothing. Yes, I’m random, but it cracked me up!

Overall, I’d say it was a lovely read with all sorts of craziness inside. Plus, with love spells, crazy a$ demons, The Eye, a really really friggin’ cool teapot, some shocking displays of affection while locked in a basement and a twisted ending that you won’t see coming, what more could we ask for?! I guess the sequel (ha).

Which is what you all will get because that review will post tomorrow.

Rating: 4/5

Quotes:
…For a second the werewolf, er, Justin, paused, his head cocked to the side, making him look less like a throatripping-out beastie and more like a cocker spaniel.

The thought made me giggle.

And suddenly those yellow eyes were on me. It gave another howl, and before I even had time to think, it charged.

I heard the man and woman cry out a warning as I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throatrepairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, “BAD DOG!”.
Miss Mercer,” she said (the Vandy), breathing heavily, making me think of a bull, “is there any reason you can think of that I shouldn’t give you detention for the next month?”

My mouth moved, but nothing came out.

Then, like a godsend, I remembered Elodie’s advice. “I like your tattoos!” I blurted out.

I only thought the class has gasped before. Now the sound they made was like the air escaping from a balloon.

The Vandy titled her head at me and narrowed her tiny eyes. “You what?”

“I…I like your tattoos. Your ink. Your, um, tats. They’re really cool.”

I’d never seen anyone have an aneurysm before, but I was afraid that was exactly what the Vandy was about to do. Frantic, I looked out at the crowd of students until I met Elodie’s eyes. She was grinning, and I realized that I had just made a truly horrible mistake.
She looked down at my hot-pink lounge, and her mouth twisted into a little pucker of disgust. She placed her hand on the back of the chair and my spell fell away in a shower of pink sparkles until my lounge became a perfectly respectable light blue love seat covered in big pink cabbage roses.

“Better,” she said crisply, sitting down beside me.

“Now, Sophia, would you care to tell me why you’re here by the pond instead of reporting to your next class?”

“I’m experiencing some teenage angst, Mrs. Casnoff,” I answered. “I need to, like, write in my journal or something.”

She snorted delicately. “Sarcasm is an unattractive quality in young ladies, Sophia. Now, I’m not here to indulge whatever pity party you have decided to hold for yourself, so I would prefer it if you told me the truth.”

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review! (:
    I loved this book (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hex Hall looks SO good. I really need to read it. Grr! There's just too many review books to read before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems this book is a funny option to be read on a sunny day - splendid review, thanks a lot! I love your new blog design btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like you are literally reading every book on my TBR list! lol. Great review, I'm bumping this to the top.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails