Monday, May 2, 2011

We'll Always Have Summer (Summer No.3) by Jenny Han - Book Review

Title: We'll Always Have Summer (Summer No.3)
Author: Jenny Han
Pages: 288
Published: April 26th, 2011
Read: May 1st, 2011
Synopsis: It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever. (from goodreads.com)

The Summer series by Jenny Han was a surprising series that I didn't expect to love so much. Before this series, I looked at contemporary fiction as something that I liked. Something that went between my great reads. The Summer series, for me, was the series that made me realize that I could LOVE contemporary, YA fiction. That it could be a great read.

(Review for The Summer I Turned Pretty, No.1 in the Summer series here)
(Review for It's Not Summer Without You, No. 2 in the Summer series here)

With Belly, Conrad & Jeremiah playing the leading roles in all three books, characters who filled the pages with so much thought and so much emotion, I couldn't be anything but in love with them all. Their characters were so real and so realistically flawed, it made me love them even more. It made them seem not like characters, but like people I interact with everyday, with everyday problems.

This third book in the series takes place later in Belly's life around the time she is 18. She is just finishing up her first year of college when all of these life experiences suddenly hit her. And all her experiences are emotional, hard and real. We watch Belly grow and realize so many things in her life that make other things possible. That life's events happen for a reason. Furthermore, we watch Jeremiah and Conrad grow into the men that their mother could be proud of. It may take the whole book, but that was something I needed to see most of all. For Susannah's sake.

And what would these books be without the other characters, namely Susannah and Laura? I'll tell you, nothing. Because in the end, no matter how much we grow up, no matter how many hardships we go through, no matter what life and death may bring, we always want our mother. Or someone there to care about us and nurture us in that motherly way.

With this third book, Jenny Han has brought out all the details of life and shoved the thoughts and feelings attached to those details to the surface. Her words brought me to tears. There is nothing else for me to say, that I am sad that the series is done because I will miss Susannah, Laura, Steven, Taylor, Jeremiah and Conrad. Most of all though, I will miss Belly for being exactly who she is and nothing else.


6 comments:

  1. You do a wonderful job telling me that I'm missing out on not reading this series. Mistress Jen you are oh so too kind to point this out!

    Now I must dust off my parasol and pride and find a summer time book store before I am bereft of life!

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely I would like to read this series in the summer. As a treat. I agree with Mad Scientist you do a wonderful job pointing out what I miss not knowing these books and characters. And your blog is growing so pretty this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I just LOVE your layout. Truly. It's fabulous! Second, I loved this book, and I'm so glad to see that you did, too. Jenny Han is a fabulous author :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished it and LOVED it as well. I will definitely miss Belly. Great review btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read too much contemporary YA and reading reviews like this make me wonder what the heck my problem is as I'm clearly missing out on awesomeness! This seems like such a great series, I definitely need to add it to my list:) Thanks for this review Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is a perfect book that shows that when your in love with someone but dating another person and your telling yourself that you love the person your dating but your heart loves another and how it turns out...i wiuld recomend it to everyone!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails