Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Divergent /Divergent Book 1/ by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent (Divergent Book 1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Pages: 487
Published: May 3rd, 2011
Synopsis: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance. (from Goodreads.com)


There are five factions in the world that now exists, separating the population not by riches, religion or color, but by human qualities. Those that are selfless, like Beatrice's mother and father, belong to the Abnegation faction. Those who are brave, like the kids from school who jump from moving trains and scale ridiculously high buildings, belong to the Dauntless. At the age of sixteen, you must choose which faction to join. Beatrice must decide to stay with her family in Abnegation, or choose another. But, Beatrice has never been very selfless. Still, she isn't sure if she can leave her family in Abnegation when "faction before family" are the practices of the people.

Divergent is one of the best dystopian novels I have ever read. It seems that while all of these dystopians are being published in the wake of The Hunger Games, none of them quite live up to it's unique, addicting plot. However, Divergent has joined the ranks of The Hunger Games with Beatrice/Tris's strength and Veronica Roth's brilliantly, prosaic writing. From the moment I opened the front cover, I was addicted to the lines running through every page. With action and thoughts that I could relate to, Tris is a most marvelous character. She knows she doesn't quite fit in among the Abnegation, but it's all she has ever really known. Divergent is the story of Tris and her journey through a life that she isn't sure is right. She is selfish and kind and one of the bravest characters I have ever seen grace the pages of a book. She looks at the world like she can conquer it, no matter that she is small, no matter that she is weak at times, she will do whatever she must.

Divergent is full of so many wonderful things, amazingly developed characters, a beautifully bittersweet plot and a love that wiggles it's way into an action packed story. The twists and turns will pull and shove you through the dark and light that is Divergent. Making you wish for so much, but never letting you know if you will get your wish. Veronica Roth's debut novel is brilliant and lovely and the depth of beauty in her words made me feel the book and experience the amazingness that is Tris and this new futuristic world where anything is possible.

15 comments:

  1. Brilliant review, Jen.
    I share your view regarding the "distopia boom".
    I really, really enjoyed Divergent, too, and I love Tris dearly. It's one of the best books I've read this year.

    -Ginny
    (My Google Account is working so poorly.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I don't know what the heck I'm waiting for on this one, everyone seems to love it and I want in! Really nice review Jen, I love the sound of this world and Tris, and I'm such a huge fan of dsytopian books:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, as good as The Hunger Games? My hands are sweaty and itching to grab this one at once. If I only find it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, you make it sounds just FAB!! :) I'm totally with Jenny, though ... I have Divergent and read positive review after positive review ... wonder why I'm not just reading THE BOOK, already ... then come across one negative review and change my mind. I think the disappointing dystopians that I've ended up reading lately have really disillusioned me with regard to the entire genre ... which sucks ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ginny - Yeah, all these dystopian books keep coming out and so many just aren't that good and some downright suck. So, it was a nice reprieve. I absolutely LOVED it.

    @Jenny - I think you will love it. It was so different from a lot of the dystopian that's been released lately. It's unique and about the story instead of the characters *solely*.

    @anachronist - It really is good. It's YA, so remember that when you read it, but I think that the fact that Veronica Roth focuses on the story like she does is amazing. Plus, the growth and feelings of the characters are different and make everything perfect.

    @Bella - I totally get it. I have the same feeling for Angel books that you currently have for Dystopian. All the Angel books that have been released as of late totally SUCK, so I refuse to read more. It's kind of dumb since they don't all fit into that category, but still, I can't bring myself to *possibly* waste more of my time on Angel books. And I agree with you about the current influx of Dystopian novels not being that excellent. I mean, while I did enjoy Delirium, I didn't think it was as excellent as everyone else does. I think DIVERGENT was W.A.Y. better! I think that if you read anything, you should read this one. It's written in present tense and it's all about the story. Plus, not everyone is gorgeous which I think makes it more real. (if that makes any sense)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't it just amazing? So glad you enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @YA BC - YES IT WAS! *sigh* I think I may read it again...soon. I just enjoyed the world so much that Veronica Roth created. I also liked the fact that Tris was a little bit selfish, because really who isn't?

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* I do need to read this one. Another glowing review. I'm so curious!

    btw... LOVE the flip flops!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Melissa - It was definitely a good YA dystopian. I've been so bored with a ton of the dystopians that have been released as of late. It was nice for something that was actually good.

    And, thanks!:D I wear flip flops all year round so I thought it was appropriate. Arizona is hot. In the winter it never really gets below 60 degrees except occasionally. I only own one pair of tennis shoes and they are for working out. My others are flip flops or sandals. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You wear sandals and flip-flops ALL THE YEAR ROUND? When I can move in? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review Jen! I have yet to actually read a dsytopian novel, I know totally weird right! Anyway after Hunger Games this one is definitely next on my list. I've heard so many good things about it but hearing it from you, who's book judgement I totaly trust, makes it worth the money to go and pick up a copy. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I can totally understand your angel aversion, too, hehe ... I actually read the most AWFUL book (well, trilogy bind-up) earlier in the year - Kissed by an Angel - it was written WAY before the current paranormal craze, but it's terrible and totally put me into a reading slump for about two months, lol.

    A really great one to try, though, is Unearthly ... sure, it's a little slow, but I prefer to think of it as *atmospheric* ... :D It's down-to-earth and the characters are pretty wonderful ... I think you'll like it.

    I'll definitely give Divergent a try, but I have to give it a few months, lol, as I've reached my quota of crappy dystopians for a while ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Bella - I've heard good things about Unearthly, but I still couldn't bring myself to read it. I can do slow. A lot of people felt Shiver was excessively slow and I LOVED it. I'll have to give Unearthly a try since you say it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Divergent, is actually a world that is terrifying to me. To not be
    able to lie and only tell the truth. To not be selfish and only
    selfless. To not be able to say, "I'm afraid." without consequences.
    Imagine having to live the rest of your life blocking your real
    self. This is what Tris has problem with, but even switching to
    Dauntless doesn't solve her problems.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails