Thursday, June 9, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author
: Ransom Riggs
Pages
: 352
Published
: June 7th, 2011 by Quirk Books
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here—one of whom was his own grandfather—were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows. (from goodreads.com)

The dreams of a six year old boy are nothing more than to be just like the grandfather he's loved and worshiped as long as he can remember. This very same grandfather who's told him of amazing children who can levitate or hold flame in their hands or of boys who are invisible or have bees living inside of them. But, he's also told of the monsters that hide in the shadows who want to kill those same people and himself. Our six year old, Jacob, loves this world of amazing and horror that his grandfather has told him of - all experienced by himself while living at an orphanage in Whales.

However, at the age of seven, our dear Jacob doesn't believe in these tales any longer and decides that it's a lighter side to the dark that was his grandfathers true life, growing up in Europe during World War II. Jacob still loves and worships the ground his grandfather walks on, but in the end, is it enough?

With a twisted plot that will surprise you at every turn, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a wondrously, deranged story of the peculiar things that are all around us. The amazing story of, now teenaged, Jacob and the list of trials he must get through to find the road through his grandfather's head, is nothing short of intriguing and fascinating. I feel that Ransom Riggs had me in mind when he went to work on this fabulous story about an abandoned orphanage and the many peculiar children that at, one point, inhibited such a place. With descriptions that make you feel like you've become a part of the landscaping, and the snarky replies of Jacob himself, we see past and present meld together in what could only be called a spectacular presentation of supernatural delight.

And throughout the book, the surprises never stop giving. With an original story that's never been told, Mr. Riggs grasps the mind of his readers, never to give them up until the very last page has turned. Every page giving something amazing to it's handler, whether it be words of delight or images of wonder that are at time so deranged, you can't help but look at them and ponder if something so extreme is actually possible. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was so riveting and immensely entertaining, I never wanted to put it down. And while Mr. Riggs has undoubtedly created an intense, scary plot, he still is able to add to it with the funny narrations of Jacob and his grandfather and the heartache of what separation and time does to all, no matter who or what they are. With a well developed cast of characters, plot and location each moment feels like you were there, experiencing it firsthand, your heart beating along with Jacobs as he learns just what it is to be peculiar. (Rating: 4.5/5)

-Check out Ransom Riggs

I received this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.


7 comments:

  1. Orphanage full of peculiar children...really can any vampire or zombie compete with such a vision? I do want to read this one - thanks for a very insightful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one coming in the mail from Quirk Books. I can't wait. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh, this sounds bizarre, especially the part about the boys who have bees living inside of them!! :o I'm not convinced that it's my kind of book, LOL, but I just wanted to say that an EXCELLENT book that's really weird and twisty (maybe even twisted :o) is Franny Billingsley's Chime, so you might enjoy that one, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover really creeps me out and I have a feeling the book will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have seen this book around but it looked kind of creepy and I wasn't too sure about the plot. But your review was so great that I'll be sure to check it out! (Just maybe not during my happy summer)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @anachronist - I hope you enjoy it! I'm one of those people who enjoy weird so thoroughly, I seek it out in books. This one complies, nicely. And no, vampires, zombies, nigh werewolves can compete with peculiar orphaned children. EVER!

    @Susan - I love Quirk Books. I think it's the eccentric in them that just makes my day. This one was so fabulous! Looking forward to the next one!

    @Bella - It's the thought behind the whole story that's bizarre...I love bizarre. Who thinks up stuff like this? Bees living inside of a boy like he is a hive? It's genius in ink, I tell ya! I'm a huge fan of weird and twisty, plus I've heard of Chime. Wasn't sure if it was any good though. But, if you say it's twisted, it's probably good.

    @Melissa - The cover is creepy and a lot of the other pictures in it are super creepy. That one is of one of the peculiar children who I LOVE (BTW). Technically, all the photos are ones the author borrowed from collections of people who keep those creepy kind of photos. They are so fascinating, but a couple nights I was a bit spooked walking around in the dark. ;D

    @Kate - I remember when Quirk Books sent me over the synopsis and I just fell in love with the idea of it. I hadn't seen the cover, but it totally fits. I think all the photos throughout help to develop the mood and characters in a most extraordinary way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the cover - it definitely looks like the poster for a horror movie. And the book itself sounds fantastic! Honestly, I think this is one of my favorite reviews of yours. I can't wait to read this "wonderously, deranged story!"

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails