Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Jane Austin & Seth Grahame-Smith

Title: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Author: Jane Austin and Seth Grahame-Smith
Pages: 317
Published: by Quirk Books
Synopsis: So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.

What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead.

Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read. (from goodreads.com)

I have to start this review off by admitting something to all you dear readers. I swore I was never, ever going to read this book. I'm not going to go into the details why, but I'm sure you can figure it out on your own.

But, May was zombies month and I was trying to figure out what I wanted to read and I settled on this series. I think it was actually reading the synopsis that did it. It made me giggle so I had to pick it up to see what it was.

So, all you curious readers out there, if you are wondering, here it is. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a recreation of the original Pride and Prejudice with zombies added in. Our dearest Elizabeth is a killer fighter who has been trained by the best Chinese master. She must protect her dear Heartfordshire from the unmentionables who break from their graves and attempt to eat all humans in their way. Her sisters have been trained in the same fashion and it never gets old hearing about Elizabeth and/or her sisters killing and slashing her way through the mass of zombies to protect the land they love. Although, I think she gets way too much joy from the killing of the unmentionables.

Still, this makes me think I have a slightly deranged sense of humor as it only made me giggle that much more. I think it was the talk of Elizabeth bathing in the blood of her slaughter that did it. Don't get any ideas, she doesn't actually do that and it's not a gory book. It's more a funny take on zombies and Pride and Prejudice.

Our dearest pompous Darcy is also a killer fighter, but he has been trained in Japan and therefore has a slight prejudice (in addition to their lack of money) against the Bennetts and their Chinese teachings. I'm sorry, this kind of thing just makes me laugh ridiculously hard. I may be a total nerd, but I'm a nerd who enjoys the weirder side of things, I suppose. My all time favorite scene had to be the fight between the two young lovers over Elizabeth's honour....huh? I know right! There was nothing I could do but laugh and read on.

The only things I didn't really care for were a lot of the fighters killing humans and not caring in the slightest (although Lady Catherine De Bourghe would totally do something like that and not bat an eye). And, there was some mention of Elizabeth pulling the heart from her victims and tasting it with immense satisfaction. It wasn't too often mentioned, but it wasn't something I thought anyone would enjoy [the tasting of a heart that is]. According to my Hubby, you can't eat heart raw (he was speaking of a lamb), you have to cook it. Now you are probably laughing at me that I thought about this. I think what it really comes down to is cannibalism grosses me out.

Overall though, I'd say the book was fairly enjoyable. It's still written in the English of Jane Austin, and most of the story is exactly hers. Some of the plot changes to fit the zombies and the different beliefs the fighters have, but for the most it's a good read. Quite funny and entertaining to boot. If you start this book thinking you won't like it, you probably won't. You have to have an open mind about what you are reading and a realization about what Seth Grahame-Smith was creating with this book. It's still Jane Austin with a bit of Grahame-Smith put in. There are zombies killing all over the country side with Elizabeth a trained fighter. Grahame-Smith throws in some other little surprises that I was more than happy to read and I heartily enjoyed. I'm quite excited for the sequel and I hope it lives up to the first.

(3.5/5)


I received this book free of charge from Quirk Books in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.


4 comments:

  1. This one really cracked me up too! I think my favorite part was the conversation between Elizabeth and Lady Catherine discussing ninjas, where in the original text they're talking about nannies - it had me in a fit of giggles. Definitely a clever and amusing book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked seeing how different aspects of the story were replaced with zombies and ninjas and training in the deadly arts. Very cool, quirky book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must read it and I will read it sooner or later. Your excellent review only added to my determination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be an enjoyable read Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austen. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and original, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails