Monday, July 25, 2011

Eye of the Tempest (Jane True Book 4) by Nicole Peeler - Book Review

Title: Eye of the Tempest (Jane True No.4)
Author: Nicole Peeler
Pages: 320
Published: July 26th, 2011 by Orbit
Synopsis:Nothing says "home" like being attacked by humans with very large guns, as Jane and Anyan discover when they arrive in Rockabill. These are professionals, brought into kill, and they bring Anyan down before either Jane or the barghest can react. Seeing Anyan fall awakens a terrible power within Jane, and she nearly destroys herself taking out their attackers.

Jane wakes, weeks later, to discover that she's not the only thing that's been stirring. Something underneath Rockabill is coming to life: something ancient, something powerful, and something that just might destroy the world.

Jane and her friends must act, striking out on a quest that only Jane can finish. For whatever lurks beneath the Old Sow must be stopped...and Jane's just the halfling for the job. (from Goodreads.com)

Jane True is back and kickin' ass, selkie style! My hero on so many levels, Jane is back in book four, Eye of the Tempest. Our dearest Jane has learned so much along the way. In book one, (review HERE) she started off small and confused, thinking she wasn't worth much. In book two (review HERE), she realizes she may be physically small, but she can get it on and dish it out with the best of them. In book three (review HERE), Jane finally understands how truly strong she is, even if she is only a halfling - half selkie, half human - she can kick ass, too. But Jane will always be Jane - strong, independent, loyal seal who will always have a war raging inside her between her libido and virtue. Personally, I vote libido as it gives a better argument on all topics debated...especially Anyan.

Anyan, the deliciously, masculine hell hound/Barghest has got me wrapped around his giant finger, right along with Jane. Besides...you know what they say about hell hound shapshifters, who not only can pull from the earth's magic, but who also have large hands....well, I'm not exactly sure what they say, but I'll tell you what I say...they really know how to make a girl sweat in all the right places and I wouldn't mind being thrown up against a railing with one of them in front of me...[rephrase] Anyan in front of me. And all you readers who are fans of Jane and Anyan, be prepared for some hot steaminess that will fog up the metephorical windows of your mind and give you a taste of the intensely, exquisite relationship that has been building for three books. Although, I will warn, Nicole Peeler is going to make you work for it...but then again, what would the fun be in it if she didn't.

Jane True is a wickedly genius series that melds together urban fantasy, humor and snark together with heartbreaking scenes, that make the series drip with brilliance and delight. Eye of the Tempest fits right in with everything that has ever happened in Rockabill, Maine. With Jane True saving those she can and bringing her wittingly, humorous snark to those everywhere, the giggles never stop. Even with her near death experience, Jane will do what she must to keep those she loves alive, even if it means confronting a creature from the dawn of time. And, she will prove that humanity isn't as degrading as some supernaturals think, humanity just may prove to be their saving grace.

[p.s. - Nicole - that ending was a little evil of you. I think I heard your evil laughter when I finished it. However, that didn't stop me from totally rereading the last chapter...several times *grins*. You are eee-vil...but also awesome. Awesomely eee-vil?]

Read the first chapter of Tempest Rising - Jane True: Book 1 by Nicole Peeler

Also, make note: I WILL be holding a contest for Jane True. I will be giving away a copy of the books, so look out this week for its posting. It will be international in some way, so all you peeps who don't live in the US, be ready! I want to share my love for Jane with all my loverly readers!

Stalk Nicole Peeler:
Blog
Twitter

Order Eye of the Tempest:

Barnes & Noble
Book Depository







[NOTE: all those curious about content in these books, there is sex and the f-word is used often. It is definitely written for a mature audience. - FYI]

I received this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

14 comments:

  1. I've heard such good things about this series, it's one I'm hoping to get to this summer (*crosses fingers in advance for contest*). And now you have me very curious about Anyan, I want to meet this man that will steam up my windows and make me work for things:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenny - I LOVE this series. Jane is just so...me I guess. Not that I'm even remotely part seal or have any magical properties in the slightest, but her personality I just get. Plus, Nicole Peeler's writing never stops making me laugh. I hope you enjoy it as much as me. It's one of the series that makes you feel better after reading...(if that makes any sense).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have the first book and have yet to read it! Yes, I know... bad bookaholic! Bad! However, I have been wanting so much to get into it! I need to meet Anyan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Melissa - I love Jane True! I think all the other books are better than book 1, but it's only because it's the first book and Jane is just learning about herself. You have to read it asap! Once she realizes she kicks ass, it's all up hill from there. I still loved the first, so don't think it's not good, I just think the 2nd and 3rd are better. Especially the 3rd! Yeah for Anyan! He isn't in book 1 as much as I would have liked, but you KNOW he is going to just be in all the rest...YUM! *dreams of Anyan - drools*

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great series. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would NEVER pick this one up based on the cover, but I keep hearing great things about it! Great review, Jen! :)

    PS - So glad you're taking on MARA! I hope you love it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Marcie - It really is an excellent series. It's not necessarily for everyone, but if you enjoy humorous adult urban fantasy with a contemporary voice, this is definitely for you!

    @Melissa - LOL, a lot of people say that about the covers. They think the cartoonish design is kind of a put off. I've always loved them, I think it's because I read [read:stalk] Nicole Peelers blog, so I can't imagine them with anything else. I also think Jane, while humanly flawed and real, fits with the cover in a sweet way. IDK, they really are good..they are actually awesome!

    Your review about Mara was the kicker. She'd been sitting there waiting for me, but I was just waiting because I didn't want to be let down. I'm so excited to get into that book! She will be gracing the elliptical with me tomorrow, asap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't a fan of the first book ... it was SO funny, but didn't seem to take itself seriously enough, if that even makes any sense (I remember there's this one part where Jane's going on about food-babies during Sexy-Time, LOL) ... BBBUT ... I. LOVE. ANYAN.

    Now that I know Jane hooks up with Anyan, I'm all over reading more of the series!! *grin*

    P.S. What happens to the other guy?! (Ryu?! Is that his name?!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Bella - I know exactly what you're saying about the not taking herself seriously enough. There are parts where she is cracking jokes and I'm peeing my pants so hard because I'm like Jane! You're nekked! With hottie boy! Think dirty thoughts! But, then again, the bits with Anyan seem to be WAY more serious than any of the ones with Ryu.

    I never cared too much for Ryu. He was too self-absorbed and shallow. I don't do shallow, no matter how hot the guy is. The second book is better than the first and I LOVED the third SO MUCH!!!!! The fourth gets a bit dirtier with Anyan, thank heaven cause it was killing me. Still, book 5 better have some dirty DIRTY if you know what I'm sayin' cause I need some more naked Anyan!!!*dreamy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. @P.S. Bella - Ryu is indeed his name and he gets dismissed by Jane! I want to give the dirty details, but I feel as though I'm ruining the book. It's not in my repertoire to ever tell what happens in a book...I usually like to let the surprises abound. If you want the dirt though, let me know and I'll email you. It's one of my very favorite scenes of book 2!(Jane is the shizznit!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I was never Ryu's biggest fan either ... he always came off as a narcissistic smooth-talker to me ... I just never expected Jane to give him the boot, because they were bonking like bunnies in book 1 ... YOU GO, GIRL!! :D Also, I will probably love it WAY more if I don't know what's going to happen, you're right ... MOVE OVER, RYU ... IT'S ANYAN WE'RE INTERESTED IN!! :o

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Bella - It's why I love the books...watching Jane grow to realize things. It's fun for me. On a sidenote, I'm sure boffing Ryu was extremely fun for her, incubus...you know how they are *waggles eyebrows*

    However...I don't like men who would rather look in a mirror than at me. Plus, I like my men rough...Anyan is purrrrfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen, I stumbled on your site in my freakish stalker search on something... just anything...about eye of the tempest since I haven´t gotten my hands on it yet ;) Thanks so much for a great review. These books are great and Jane is one hell of a character and it´s great to watch her "growing up" and to become this force to be reckoned with.
    I just luuuuv Anyan and I have loved him from book 1. I just finished reading book 2 and 3 last week so I´m very excited to read nr. 4 and it better have some pretty good steaming hot nekked Anyan and Jane parts in it where they get down and dirty! :)
    I think it´s good she got involved with Ryu at the time she did before Anyan, while she is getting to know who she is, growing as a person and gaining more confident and self esteem she gets to know Anyan in the meantime without letting the libido get in the way... at first that is ;) While Ryu helped her in one way Anyan helped her and was there for her in another way and in much more meaningful way than Ryu (and has been for a long time really) Also I think it´s great to build up friendship and trust and all that before the sex part.
    IDK if I´m making much sense of what I´m saying but I think building up that chemistry between two people who are friends and confident enough to be who they really are with all the ups and downs, humor and with that sexual tension it makes it soooo worth the while when they finally get together. Although I think it´s about damn time Anyan and Jane get all hot and steamy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Beta - I TOTALLY get what you're saying. I think that her ending up with Ryu at first taught her SO much. Like the fact that she wasn't worthless, no matter what her tiny town would say about her or how she realized what she really wanted in a man. I think all that was important for her to learn before Anyan, fully came into the picture. However, I'm also in agreement that it is DAMN time Jane and Anyan got nekked! They definitely do, but I'm going to warn you, Nicole Peeler is a little evil with making us wait. I know what she is doing and she wants to make the reading all that much better. I know from reading her blog that book 5 is going to also have some good nekkedness. YEAH!

    Glad you found me Beta! I'm a Jane True fangirl through and through! :D

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails