Monday, July 18, 2011

Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls No.3) by Maggie Steifvater

Title: Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls Book 3)
Author: Maggie Steifvater
Pages: 386
Published: July 12th, 2011 by Scholastic

Synopsis: In Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER, Grace and Sam found each other. In LINGER, they fought to be together. Now, in FOREVER, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.


Forever, the third and final book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls Triliogy, is the most amazing thing Maggie Stiefvater has ever published. With her poetic prose, Maggie has created a world filled with dangerous wolves, everlasting love and creative, astounding images that push the envelope on everything you ever thought you knew about Sam, Grace, Isabel, Cole and Mercy Falls.

Shiver, the FIRST in the series, sets the scene for the rest of the series and introduces the hopelessly devoted relationship between Sam and Grace and gives us the first glimpses into the world that is Mercy Falls. Linger, the SECOND in the series while holding and weaving Sam and Grace into the picture, introduces Cole St. Clair - the musically talented yet totally damaged lead singer of the band NARKOTICA - and Isabelle Culpeper - the sister of the dead Jack Culpeper whom we meet in Shiver. In addition, Linger also presses upon readers a predicament that was thought to have been solved, but turns out is so much worse than we ever thought it could be.

Forever, is the continuation and tie off of the stories of these four characters and the journey that takes them through the woods on paths that they never could have known, existed. The Wolves of Mercy Falls keeps a similar pacing and tone through every one of the books, pulling them together as a whole so simply and sweetly that it makes the reader feel that everything that ever happens inside Mercy Falls was perfectly designed and written - Forever is no exception. With excellent description and world-building, the fictitious world of Mercy Falls seems to truthfully exist as do the amazingly well-developed cast a crew who reside within.

This tale of life, love, happiness and death flashes us to a place where true love is possible in a world where bad things happen, where friends die and where all you want to do is belong somewhere in the melee that is your fanatical existence. Each turn will only raise the curiosity of the reader and every bend will either bring tears or a smile to their face. Emotions run high page after page and bring with them suspense, happiness, heartache, chills and a bittersweet story that will make you sigh at that very last page, feeling like this book, this final book, was everything you'd waited for -- a story that will stay with you forever.

11 comments:

  1. I pick up my book tomorrow -- can't wait! After reading your post, I'm really really looking forward to starting this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite merciless, throwing my way one good series after another...thanks anyway, I will try to read it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jo - If you like this series, you'll love this one. OMG, it was so good. I actually read it last month, but I waited for release to post my review. I really did love it.

    @anachronist - I ended up with a TON of good reads at the end of June/beginning of July. It's so nice to read good literature. For awhile I questioned the whole thing because I'd read a lot of bad books. Nice to know they're still producing the goods the way they should! I really love Maggie Stiefvaters writing and this one was definitely the best in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one series that has made me feel like a blogging failure because I just couldn't get into it. Not sure why exactly! I agree her writing is beautiful though:) So glad the series ended well and you were pleased with how everything turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't get into shiver, but so many people love this series that I think when I read reviews like your if I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jenny - It seems there are many who feel the same as you (not failures, just people who didn't like it as much). I think a lot of it was the slow movement through the first book. I don't know, but it is definitely a different kind of series.

    @Blueicegal - I know quite a few people who don't like the series and could never really get into Shiver. Maggie writes most beautifully, but that doesn't mean her stories apply to everyone. I think FOREVER is the best in the series...it has everything the others don't and everything they do. Still, if you can't get through the first, there is no sense going on. Besides, there are so many books out there...no sense in attempting something that doesn't make you happy. I don't think you're missing out on something as much as just doing something else. ;D (hopefully that makes some kind of sense).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally in love with Shiver, but can't quite get into Linger ... it just feels like the exact same story from book one, except with Sam and Grace switched around.

    However, I've kept my book and also received my pre-order of Forever the other day, so I'm going to sit myself down and read the entire series through VERY SOON ... even if I have to bribe myself ... read three chapters, buy a book ... never fails!! :D

    BTW - if Sam and Grace don't end up together, even as wolves or - I don't know - corpses (I'm not picky :P), I'm going to be Royally Pissed, LOL.

    P.S. The last sentence of your review totally sent a shiver down my back ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bella - I know EXACTLY what you mean! I had a hard time getting into Linger and I don't think it was as good as Shiver. It was definitely a YA-2nd-book-in-a-series kind of book. I do think Maggie hits it home with Forever though. That one I was addicted to from the first page. And I don't mind bittersweet endings as long as I still mostly get a happily ever after of some sort. I'd like to quote you on this "I like me some happily ever after". Forever ends like it should...I think anyway. There is really only one main question I have and it's really not anything that perplexed me especially....it didn't even have to do with Sam & Grace. When you finish the series, you'll prolly have the same question. Hehehe, I'm glad you liked that last sentence, it came to me in a whirl of genius I suddenly had...I think it was the pie I was eating at the time. :D (mmmm...pie!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the glowing reviews, like yours, I keep reading about Forever I still feel very apprehensive about giving it a try. I guess it's because I've also read some not so favorable reviews for it.

    But overall, I'm a hopeless romantic, and I loved Shiver, so if this book gives us a message about true love, I want to give it a try.

    Love that last line in your review. Clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was beyond excited for you when I walked past this book for you! Esp knowing your love for all things Maggie, LOL!

    MS

    ReplyDelete
  11. So another nice books review from you (or should I say books)! I shall have to read this series since it seems you adore it so much and you are responsible for a couple other series that I have read. I love you for that, but I need to write more and read less! Anyway, nice review and you totally didn't give anything away but still made it out to be something worth looking into. The pics at the bottom are pretty so I have to agree with you on how eye catching the covers are.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails