Friday, July 15, 2011

Grave Dance (Alex Craft Book 2) by Kalayna Price

Title: Grave Dance (Alex Craft No. 2)
Author: Kalayna Price
Pages: 371
Published: July 5th, 2011 by Penguin Group
Synopsis: After a month of down time, Grave Witch Alex Craft is ready to get back to solving murders by raising the dead. With her love life in turmoil, Alex is eager for the distractions of work. But when her new case forces her to overuse her magic, it might be the last mystery the Grave Witch ever gets to solve... (From Goodreads.com)

Sometime this year I found that I am completely in love with Kalayna Price's work. Grave Witch (review HERE), the first of her books I read, saved me with it's delicious writing and brilliant characters. The Haven series (BOOK 1 review, BOOK 2 review) was a genius take on shape shifters and contained such an intense development of characters that I couldn't help but fall in love with all of them for their different eccentricities.

So it stands to reason that Grave Dance, the second in the Alex Craft series would be equally high on my love chart. And so it was. Price starts off with a confused if not somewhat, slightly hurt Alex. With Death announcing his - completely unexpected - feelings at the end of book one, Alex doesn't know where things stand and to top it off, Falin, the Winter Queen's assassin - someone Alex may or may not have feelings for - has up and left without any sort of goodbye. Plus, there are a bunch of left feet laying about and no one seems to be able to tell where the rest of the bodies are...even the feet. It's as if the bodies never existed to begin with. Alex must use her strengths as a Wyrd Witch, using her grave sight and her ability to function between the realm of death and life, to find the mystery behind these left feet.

My very favorite thing about these novels in particular is the involvement of death and Death. With an intense plot and storyline, Price weaves a novel of suspense and curiosity. The involvement of Death, in his jeans and black t-shirt, only adds to the brilliant makeup of the story. His dark and mysterious appearances and the evident feelings he has for Alex, deepens the plot and makes the reader salivate at his very existence. Death's darker presence in the book only seems to add to his bad boy persona, as the collector of souls, it's his job to take that bit of life from those who are at death's door - and he isn't sad about it in the slightest. The genius of a destined killer who retains his gentleness in regards to Alex, softens our hearts, as the reader, and pushes our buttons in all the right ways.

Grave Dance is a magnificent piece of fiction that adds significantly to the original story of Alex Craft that was started in Grave Witch. Price has created a story of witches, magic and fae with just the right touch of death to make the entire book just this side of dark and just that side of magical. With characters and relationships given the development they deserve and world-building that makes the reader feel like they are winding their way through Nekros or hiding from the Winter Queen in Faery, the addiction for Alex Craft only intensifies. Small details bound up around every bend making the story seem even more real with darkly delicious sub-characters and original evilness, Price crafts an air of reality in this magical world of Alex Craft - Wyrd Witch.

7 comments:

  1. I've been trying to start Grave Witch for ages. Somehow always another book jumped in its place. Now I think I must finally read at least one Kalanya Price book. Thanks for a review which helped make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it. I really do love Kalayna Price's work. I'm a little sad that Third Blood, the third in the Haven series, has taken so long to be released. I guess I have that much more reason to read it when it does release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never heard of this one, but it sounds good, and a great rating convinces me to add it to my list. Fab honest review :)

    PS - your blog looks exceptional these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must read Grave Witch ... and pronto. I've been on a Young Adult binge for a long time now and this sounds like the perfect series to get me back into Urban Fantasy.

    P.S. I heart this book's tag-line!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melissa - Thanks! I do love this series. Hopefully you enjoy it too.

    @Bella - I keep switching back and forth between YA and Adult. I've gotta keep it mixed up or I feel a little off. Plus, the adult series usually have some kind of dirty goods held within...although, Grave Dance didn't have any really hot steamy scenes. Grave Witch does though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I justed wanted to leave you a book series suggestion. I have read a ton of the books you have and thought this might be up your alley. It is the "Fever" Series by Karen Marie Moning. I especially loved the last book.

    Thanks,
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kellie - I've seen that series around everywhere and wondered if it was really that good. I was debating whether to start that series next or another. :D Thanks for the recommendation, now I'm going to have to get it all that much sooner!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails