Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jane True - Character Love

I've wanted to do one of these for a long time and I thought with today being release day for the fourth book in the Jane True series, Eye of the Tempest, I'd do it this week.

Jane True
Half Selkie

It's truly difficult, in my opinion, to find a person out there who looks like the character that's in your head. Because, let's face it, the imagination does all sorts of things that genetics simply cannot. However, after searching, I think that Cheryl Cole fits quite nicely. I always imagine Jane to have a sweet face, small nose and giant black eyes. Also, her hair is black, but that's a little harder to find on a specific person. Enjoy my character portrayal:

"...I took a moment to apply a little mascara, blush, and some lip gloss, before brushing out my damp black hair. I kept it cut in a much longer--and admittedly more unkempt--version of Cleopatra's style because I liked to hide my dark eyes under my long bands. Most recently, my nemesis, Stuart Gray, had referred to them as "demon eyes." They're not as Marilyn Manson as that, thank you very much, but even I had to admit to difficulty determining where my pupil ended and my iris began." (Tempest Rising: Jane True No.1- Page 2)
"Hands off my woman!" crowed a hard-edged voice from the front door. Grizelda!

"Oh, sorry," I apologized, backing away from Tracy.

"I meant for Tracy to get off you," Grizzie said, swooping toward me to pick me up in a bodily hug, my own well-endowed chest clashing with her enormous fake bosoms. I hated being short at times like these. Even though I loved all five feet and eleven inches of Grizzie, and had more than my fair share of affection for her ta-ta-riddled hugs, I loathed being manhandled (Tempest Rising: Jane True No.1 - Page 7).

Once I was installed in the shower, under the water, Ryu opened his shampoo and began to wash my hair, very gently.

"I can't believe how long your hair has gotten, baby."

I didn't do what I'd done to Anyan and remind Ryu how long it had been since we'd last seen each other.

"I may have nudged it a bit, with magic," I admitted instead.

"You look absolutely gorgeous," he murmured in my ear as he massaged my scalp. I relaxed back against him, letting his fingers soothe and settle me.

Ryu rinsed the shampoo from my hair, then repeated everything, including the massage, with conditioner. I just let him go at it; let myself be putty in his hands. I'd cried the entire short walk to the B and B, but now I just felt...empty (Tempest's Legacy - Jane True No.3).

This one was just for fun for me because I liked the dress
I'd stood up, held the dress in front of me, and looked at myself in the mirror. It was just as perfect as I'd remembered it. Although what I was going to do with my boobs was beyond me--hopefully Elspeth had some magic spell for keeping boobs and dresses in their proper places. (Tempest Rising: Jane True No.1)
This is my favorite scene from Tempest's Legacy (Book 3)
"Hello?" I shouted. "We're here!"

And then I saw him.

Anyan, I thought, my whole being trembling at the sight of his big body. He was striding forward, one large hand cupping a mage ball, the other holding an assault rifle. Then he saw me, too. The mage ball disappeared, the rifle was passed behind him, to Capitola. As for the expression on his face...

Dude, he looks pissed...

The rest of that thought was cut off as the barghest practically flew into the room, grabbed my elbow, and started to haul me out of the gap I'd made in the wall...

..."Um, Anyan," I said trying to catch his attention as he pulled me forward. It was almost fully evening now and I was stumbling in the dark, but he just kept dragging me toward a shed on the outskirts of the little garden.

He is going to spank us, my libido purred.
Or kill us, you idiot, came my virtue's dry rejoinder.

"Anyan, can we please talk about..."

"No," he growled, hauling me about to face him. We were behind the shed now, hidden from view, although I could still hear an occasional random explosion from behind us.

"F*** you, Jane! Do you have any idea what you put me through? What the f*** were you thinking?" Shocked, I stared at the barghest's red, angry face. His hands were clamped on my forearms as he shook me roughly and randomly. His grip hurt, but not as much as the look of fury on his face.

He's really yelling at me, I thought, suddenly scared.

"Were you even thinking? At all? About anyone besides yourself? What would I have told your father if you'd died! What would I have done, Jane? What would I have done!"

Between Anyan shouting, his mention of my father, and hearing the slightest hitch in his voice when he said that second "What would I have done," I did what any self-respecting warrior woman did after getting kidnapped, rescuing herself and her friend, and single-handedly capturing her first coterie of bad guys.

I started crying.

Hard.

With that, Anyan stopped yelling. Then, to my surprised, he dropped to his knees in front of me. Wrapping his arms around my hips, he drew me forward to bury his head in my breasts. But there was nothing sexual in the gesture; it was simply one of comfort. After a shocked few seconds, I realized he was reassuring himself as much as, or more than, he was me.

Tentatively, I reached down and stroked my hand over his rough curls, only to find that they indeed felt pretty rough. But they were Anyan's curls, and they were beautiful.

My fist clenched in his hair, and my free arm snaked around his head, pulling him tighter against me. (Tempest's Legacy - Jane True No.3)
This is a very small taste of Eye of the Tempest

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you upright," Anyan's low voice growled. Then he leaned in to kiss my forehead, before moving his lips to my ear. What he whispered next made my poor, overtaxed libido nearly faint: "But that doesn't mean I'm not going to want you flat on your back agian as soon as possible."

His teeth nipped my ear and I whimpered, a million Anyan-related fantasies suddenly swarming through my brain like overstimulated honey bees. When I didn't budge, my gaze turning inward to enjoy my own naughty thoughts, he chuckled before putting his hand on the nape of my neck to steer my dreamy ass away from the front door. (Eye of the Tempest - Jane True No.4)

What do you think of Jane? This is just a small dose, you can check out my reviews of books 1-3 for other quotes of Jane and her selkie snark. You can also read the first chapter of Tempest Rising on Nicole Peeler's website. And if you are interested, the e-book for Tempest Rising is on sale on Amazon for $1.99!

Also, make note: I WILL be holding a contest for Jane True. I will be giving away a copy of the books, so look out this week for its posting. It will be international in some way, so all you peeps who don't live in the US, be ready! I want to share my love for Jane with all my loverly readers!

Stalk Nicole Peeler:
Blog
Twitter

Order Eye of the Tempest:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Book Depository


9 comments:

  1. Oh yay! I didn't know book 4 came out today. I've always been an Anyan fan. Can't wait to read it. Love your character portrayal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first! I need the rest! Happy Book Birthday to Nicole Peeler!

    Such a nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tara - Yes! It does! I'm so excited and I've already read it {shows my nerd quality right there.} Anyan is one of my very favorite fictional boyfriends! I hope you enjoy Eye of the Tempest. :D

    @Melissa - Happy Birthday Nicole! The third I think is still my favorite int he series, but I love them all, as well. I'm going to be giving away more than just the 4th, so stay tuned. *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh drat! I told myself I wasn't going to get pulled into reading any new series but this sounds really good!!! And I can never resist a $1.99 Kindle book with so many great ratings!

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I just have to say how much I love Cheryl Cole, so that sold me alone haha I need to read this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa - I know, I had to buy it for my Kindle so it was more accessible. The first time I read it, it was a library book and every other time I bought it I gave it away as a gift. :D

    @Melissa - I hope you do. It's so freaking hilarious. I just love Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm a fan of Jane! She seems like she has a good sense of humor, and I'm very, very interested in Anyan:) And that dress your model is wearing - GORGEOUS. If only it would look like that on me:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jenny - Yeah!! I'm a total fangirl concerning Jane! And, that model is me...no wait...it's not...I was temporarily dreaming that I looked that hot. :D I agree, it is gorgeous. It also reminds a bit of a mermaid and while Jane isn't a mermaid, she is part seal. :DLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jane and I have to say that I think my libido nearly just fainted reading that small taste of Eye of the tempest *sigh*

    Also, your favorite scene from book 3 is also my favorite scene :) I just read the book last week and I´ve read this scene a couple of times and went all *aawww sigh* every time ;)

    I´m also reading Sookie Stackhouse series and I have to say that for me I think Anyan/Jane relationship is my favorite one right along side Eric/Sookie and I didn´t think no one could come close to Eric and Sookie :) But how can one not love Anyan... I even loved him just knowing him as a fluffy hell hound LOL

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails