Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Pages: 464
Published: September 27th, 2011 by Simon and Schuster
Synopsis:Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong. (from Goodreads.com)


Could you survive the death of your three friends, knowing you were the only survivor in the fall of the building that killed them? And, to top it off, not only are you the only survivor, you are the only one who can tell everyone else what happened.

The only problem is...you don't remember anything.

You don't remember going to the asylum that ended up crashing down over your head killing your best friend. You have no memory of anything related to her death or the deaths of your boyfriend and his sister. How would you cope?

In The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, this is Mara's predicament. She hurts, she hallucinates, she doesn't know what is and what isn't. In her world, her best friend Rachel has been killed along with the two other people who were with them in the broken down asylum. The aftermath is crashing in around her, wanting to suffocate the life out of Mara and, it feels like something is trying to rip her sanity from her as well. In this twisted novel of death, life and love, Mara will wind her way through the unbeaten path and try to find the answers for everything she can't remember.

In her debut novel, Michelle Hodkin has created a story of a girl who has a little different kick to her personality and life. With a loving family who does just about anything they can for her, she tries to get over the death of her friends, but it isn't always that easy. With a plot that redefines creepy, Hodkin's has woven for us a tale that will make you want to double check that the lights are on and the doors are locked. Mara though, she's made of stronger stuff then some, she's strong and twisted in her thinking, keeping the reader guessing at what move she'll make next. Her ambitious character traits are nothing, if not refreshing and her snark only adds to the development of her character, creating the comedic device necessary to break up the seriousness of the story. However, Mara isn't alone.

Noah Shaw, the epically gorgeous, ruffled boy is there to join in on the fun and innuendo front presenting a bad boy that we can all enjoy. With a library that will make you sigh and blush, he is the boy that every girl would like to tame. The darkly edged, comical characters and sub-characters are the perfect addition to a story that is sharp and twisted, giving just the right amount of reality to an otherwise fantastical story. Everything you thought you knew about Mara Dyer will be questioned along the way and more than anything you'll hope that she'll find her way through the dark that has become her memories. But, Michelle Hodkin won't give up the information that easily and leaves the story with a cliffhanger that leaves you wondering if you really did know what was happening, all along.

A mesmerizing tale of loss, pain and first love, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer will pull you through it's pages, aching for every hurt and touch Mara experiences, hoping beyond hope that she is strong enough to make it through.

[note: this book is highly concentrated with swearing and sexual innuendos/talk{fyi}]


9 comments:

  1. Well if I wasn't exited before your review I am now! It sounds like this one was really something ^-^

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have just read this unfortunately I didn't love it. I struggled with Noah and all the drama but I completely see why it is getting 5 stars though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH Lucky you! I can't wait to read this one. I'm so excited to read it and meet "epically gorgeous" Noah. Awesome review Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Khadija - I really did enjoy it. I think it was the creepy factor. Creepy does me in!

    @Nic - I can see why people would have issues with Noah. I think the whole sleeping with anything that moves, for fun, could put quite a few people off. I think my sub-conscious somewhat blocked that...LOL!(That doesn't say good things about me either...o_0)

    @Jenny - I really did love it. I really liked Noah too! He was well developed and just this side of questionable as he is just that side of mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've avoided this one because it just seems so emotional. However, your review really has me re-evaluating my stance. I mean the characters sound strong. I like that! Hm... 5 rating... I think I will wishlist it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited about this book ... even when the plot was all hush-hush and nobody had a clue what genre it even fell under, I was counting the days ... it's probably the cover, I'm totally shallow that way!! *grin*

    Now that I know more, it sounds absolutely amazing. I love snark and innuendo and girls who survive collapsing buildings and naughty boys!! :D Seriously, the latest thing since hating on Twilight seems to be hating on Patch, but I'm still his number one fan ... and it sounds like he has A LOT in common with Noah, so I can't wait ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning review, Jen. Now I'm completely intrigued by Noah. I'm wondering if he would draw me in or if I'd be able to resist him. Ether way, he sounds tempting and the story itself, very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see you got to one of the books I mailed you from BEA.

    *Hugs* missed you!

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  9. The characters in this book are another part of the book that really got me hook. The mystery of Mara Dyer, you really had to pay attention to in order to see the whole picture. I love it that Ms. Hodkin did a great job in keeping the read in suspense, holding their breath at every page turn. Every turn of the page leaves you wondering, what is happening next? Did that really happen? Questions pop in your head and you can do nothing but continue reading till you have your answers.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails