Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mini Reviews - Because I Feel Like It

Alrighty, here are some reviews of books I've read as of late. They are mini because sometimes smaller is better.

Title: Fever Series (5 books)
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Published: 2006-2011
Genre: Adult, UF (there is sex and swearing in this book)
Review: I don't know if I can truly do this series justice, so I'm mini reviewing it for that purpose. In the future I may ATTEMPT to do a full review, but for now you get Mini. :D I have definitely caught the fever and I'm not in the least bit sorry about it. Karen Marie Moning has created the most fascinating world of Fae and death that I've ever seen...and I'm not usually a huge fan of a lot of Fae books. However, KMM does right by it and gives it the dark edge that it truly, truly needs. Mac is a fun character to watch move through this world and watching her grow up from Mac 1.0 to Mac 5.0 was definitely fun. But, to the point of the book. JERICHO BARRONS. This man is so delicious and amazing and hard and rough and...and...I don't know...words cannot contain him or explore his boundless qualities. He's not soft, AT ALL, ladies so don't expect flowers or kind words. He just IS. Barrons is my YUMMY. I would like to Book Boyfriend Post him, but seriously, I don't think I could tie Jericho Barrons down to any person in existence. Okay, I could go on forever, so I'm stopping. Just...if you love UF and worlds that are falling apart and Fae that are homicidal and sometimes naked and men you can't figure out for the life of you and evil that so horrible it chills you, PICK UP THIS SERIES. You won't be disappointed. I'm done. For real this time.
Title: Sean Griswold's Head
Author: LindseyLeavitt
Pages: 224
Published: March 1st, 2011
Genre: YA Contemporary
Review: Bella over at Absolutely Obsessed raved about this book so I had to give it a try. I ABSOLUTELY loved it! The gist of the story is Peyton walks in on her mother shoving a giant needle into her fathers butt and it turns out he has MS and everyone knew but her. She spends quite sometime being pissed about the betrayal of her family and very teen angsty. Peyton is so hilarious through the whole book that I think I giggled more often then not. Her "research" of Sean Griswold's head didn't cease to crack me up and I suddenly wanted a focus journal of my very own. Yeah, she may have been mad at her family for an OVERLY long time, but I totally understood that...which is probably due to my own anger issues. There are only like 2 times I kind of wanted to slap her, but she makes up for it and I still love Peyton. Plus, Sean was cute and fun and I kind of wanted to cuddle his head. :D
Title: Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo No.1)
Author: Adrian Phoenix
Pages: 368
Published: June 29th, 2010
Genre: Adult, Hoodoo, UF
Review: Let's be honest folks, I didn't really like this book much. I would probably give it a 2, but I'm not quite sure why. I didn't like the writing and the 3rd person omniscient perspective was really TMI! Plus, I think the whole: hi I'm a gay man possessing a super hot male body so I'm going to molest it because said body is nicely muscled and well-endowed was WAY over the top and weird...and not in a good way. That's saying a lot because I LOVE weird. This was like creepy-weird-I-need-to-take-a-shower-now kind of weird.

12 comments:

  1. Love your thinking, Jen. I might have to do some mini reviews myself :)

    I'm super excited to start Dark Fever... I finally got book one ;) can't wait to meet Barrons!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen! Those are a whole lot of minis.

    And ZOMG! Barrons! The man is undefinable. Did you read the Barrons sex scene from KMM's blog? A MUST! I May or may not just be a tiny bit obsessed with him.

    I will have to check out that Sean Griswold's Head book. I like funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I couldn't help myself.

    Here is the Barrons sex scene:

    http://www.karenmoning.com/kmm/jzbscene.html

    The questions is... lie or real?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want Karen Marie Moning series right now and I am going to read it all! ;p I love your mini reviews! And these tips how to write it...well, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Minis Jen!!

    I still have to read the Fever Series...its on the list, Im working on the Vampire Academy right now..so maybe this will be the next series I tackle...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY JEN'S GOT THE FEVER!!!!! I adore that series, it's so hard to write an actual review for it isn't it? There really are no words for Barrons, just like you said, he just IS. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Diane - YEAH!! I hope you love it! It's such a good series and fun to follow the people through Dubline. And BARRONS, *groans*, I want him!

    @Missie - OMG! I've totally read the JZB Sex Scene. Although, I don't know quite how I feel about it. While I don't doubt that it does represent Barrons and the way he thinks, I don't like the ending with the whole Druid spell. To me, Jericho Barrons wouldn't do that. Oh, he'd totally take what he wanted, but he's not kind enough to care [at least in the beginning] what Mac feels afterward. He'd let her remember I think. Plus, that kind of power, to make her forget certain things, just doesn't fit in the story. I wish she would have tried for a later sex scene! What do you think?

    @anachronist - Oh, you so should! I do love that series. SOOO, good!

    @Tina - You know my thoughts on Vampire Academy. I loved that series! I'm pumped for Bloodlines. I hope it's good. You should try the Fever series after that one. It's excellent!

    @Jenny - It really is hard to write a review of that series. I don't think there is anyway to put specific thoughts and feelings into words, for Fever. *SIGH* I LOVE it though! Gosh I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMFG - did I just read that right?! o.O "hi I'm a gay man possessing a super hot male body so I'm going to molest it because said body is nicely muscled and well-endowed" Holy crap!! I mean, I kind of H.A.T.E.D. A Rush of Wings and didn't think it would ever be possible to say this, but - dude - I think Adrian Phoenix's books have taken a turn for the worst ... o_o

    You know how I feel about Fever (LOVE!! :D) and Sean Griswold's Head (ALSO LOVE!!), but here's something interesting that you might NOT know ... KMM based Barrons on HIM ... *giggles* ... :D

    Awesomesauce Mini Reviews!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bella, It was quite horrible. I'm not quite sure why it even ended up with a 2 because the more distance I put between myself and that book the more I think about it and the more I DON'T like it. I think there was something at the very VERY end that gave it a small redeeming something or other, but the distance is hazing my memory.

    And, I can TOTALLY see him as Barrons. Not in all the pics there were because some didn't feel right, but the rest, I could see. I still feel like Barrons is more than that, you know what I mean? *giggles* I'm a rambling moron...[gosh I'm tired]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Huge mini's! Uh... I mean a lot! :)

    Love the fever series! Oh and yes, Barrons can be "tied" down to one. *ahem* *giggles*
    Barrons is mine! ;D

    Sorry to hear about the Phoenix book. I'm still wanting to get into her other series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Melissa - I hate to disagree, but Jericho Barrons is mine. ;D

    It's okay about Phoenix, you win some, you lose some. :D

    @Anachronist - I'm so glad you liked it! I thought you would like Karen Marie Moning's writing. And as for the southern references, I never thought how that could bother people who weren't from around here, I now see why that could be bothersome. I loved them, but my Dad's from the south so I grew up listening to a lot of that.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails