Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday Waterfall {1} : Chapters 1 thru 6




1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?

Yes, I totally get Gabi. Sometimes I think lonliness seems worse when you are surrounded by the people you love most and they don't pay you any attention...plus, I have Daddy Issues and I get the whole parent(s) ignoring me thing. And while I feel for her mother, I guess it's hard because from what we learn it feels like her mother (and father) while they love there daughters, they gave more attention to each other than their daughters. I don't know...I know sometimes that happens, but growing up, the attention of your parents means a lot. (I don't really know how to say that so it doesn't sound whiny :D)

In the beginning of the book, Gabi just wants what's left of her family, together. Being a mother in that situation would be REALLY hard. Trying to get over the love of your life and take care of children who still need you, even if they are 17 and 15. I'm just glad Gabi has Lia. Sisters rock!

2. Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could?

There are a couple times I would love to visit. One would be during the 1920's during the Flapper period because I think it was a huge progress for woman and to be honest...I really love those clothes (DON'T judge me! :D)

I've always had a penchant for those giant dresses in all those books that take place in England during the Victorian Era. Not that I'd want to do it permanently, but it's interesting. Plus, reading Jane Austen has me wanting to visit...although, I would never want to be poor there, it sounds horrible.

Mostly though, there are time periods I'd like to visit and experience first hand just to see what really went down, but I have a REAL problem with the whole "Man's World" motto of the past. So, any place where I could have some kind of female maneuvering ability would be pretty cool. I think that's why I dig Time Travel novels...the time traveler is still contemporary. :D

3. Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of mens mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?

This is hard because there is always a give and take when it comes to men of a certain era. They want to protect and be gentlemanly, and I love the gentlemanly thing to a certain point, but it IRKS me to NO end when men think that they can say something and it's supposed to happen. I think if I was actually raised in that time period I would have felt differently because I am a product of my current environment, but it frustrates me. I would MUCH rather be the muscled, strong, independent woman who repels down walls and does what she feels is right rather than the soft, lady who waits with her handkerchief for her man to come back to her. I'd give up my the gentlemanly ways if only to be able to be appreciated for my own thoughts and feelings. (sorry for the woman's lib!)

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I've never been good at waiting or sitting still. I'd probably still be up and at arms doing what I could to be as independent as possible.


4. When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you?

HAHAHAHA! YES!

Of course it's not fair, but it totally happens. In fact, I'm sure I do it...although unintentionally. Everyone has these preconceived notions of others from wherever and it takes actually getting to know the person to change some of that.

My husband is Albanian, so I've lived in Albanian for a while back in 2007-2008. When I got there, people just assumed I didn't know how to do certain things because I was American. It was a little frustrating at first because I don't like people to think I can't do things. Not that they were ever mean because they aren't that way, but still it's annoying.

Plus, whenever I tell some Western Europeans or Americans who've lived in Western Europe that my husband is Albanian, they always have to tell me who hates the Albanians. People! I really don't care! I know who hates the Albanians, but if you actually got to know them, you'd realize they are probably the nicest people you will ever have ever met in your life. Not that I like to live there, I don't dig the backwards thinking toward woman and work, but I think they'll come around eventually. *wink wink*

Also, there was most of my high school career. I could never really figure that one out, but it felt like one huge misjudgement that lasted for 4 years. I think it's part of why I love Marcello, he doesn't focus on that, he looks past it to Gabi's actual actions and goes from there.

5. What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst?

Coolest:
  1. Some of those dresses they get to wear to the dances are freaking awesome.

Worst:
  1. Not having running water. I've had that...IT SUCKS o_o {I've bathed out of a freaking bucket in a kind of outhouse...It was super sucky}
  2. Also, the plague sounds bad and not being able to cure all those ailments like we can in today's day and age.

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes the flapper period! I agree, those clothes would be too much fun to wear:) The Victorian Era would be lovely as well with all the big dresses and the crazy outfits (though not so much the corsets, I like to breathe).

    I agree with you on the plague. That would certainly be a bit of a downer:) Any small disease or illness back then would have been miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah those dresses sound fantastic! Gabi had a killer wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quoted what she said about her parents being in their own universe together in my post today :)

    WE BOTH SAID FLAPPERS! ;) That is awesome!

    the plague does sound bad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, no I can't read that, I've just ordered the books and am waiting for them! Perhaps I'll join you when I at least start reading! That's cruel actually...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that anyone who has had to use outdoor water or an outhouse usually picks indoor plumbing as the most modern marvel. I'm so with that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome answers! I instantly liked Gabi and found her insecurities believable too. And yes the lack of indoor plumbing would be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Team Daddy Issues. I'm right there with ya.

    Okay, so I just ran off to google picture of Albania. Wow! It looks beautiful over there. I don't know much about the people or culture, but both sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jenny - The plague would indeed be a downer, LOL! *giggles* Also, is it weird that I like corsets? Not permanently, but IDK...I have issues. I am a fan of breathing too though, so who knows. It kind of reminds me of Scarlet O'Hara and her obsession with a tiny waist.

    @Small - DEFINITELY! I heart her wardrobe. I told my sister I needed a sword of my own!

    @Jacinda - LOL! That's because Flappers rock! Actually, the literally do. :D Last Halloween my sister was asking me what to be (she's 18) and I was like you HAVE to be a Flapper Girl. She was like what's that. *palm forehead* I googled it and she loved it. I totally decked her out, feathers in the hair and all!

    @Anachronist - *mwah ha ha ha* I am ee-vil B, you know this! I really hope you love them, they are such a rush!

    @Melissa - In Albania we stayed in this tiny village (seriously..it was a VILLAGE...like 5 families lived there) where my hubby is from and I had to use a porcelain hole in the ground to go potty. Imagine that 6 months prego and that was me. o_o I wanted to kill someone.

    @Nic - *shudders* I hate no indoor plumbing. And, I love a good flawed character. :D

    @Missie - *puts hand into middle of circle* Team Daddy Issues...together we create mischeif to give them some real grief! :D

    Parts of Albania really are gorgeous, apparently their beaches are the new thang or whatever Hubby was spouting about it. Something about fighting between Greece and Macadonia...I can only listen so much. But, the people are so nice...just don't marry an Albanian man. You will never live up to their mother o_o.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen...oh my gosh how did I miss your first post???? EKE- sorry girl.

    I think thats pretty awesome that your married to an Albanian man, I mean you have a great opportunity to teach your kids dual cultures...!! And men are hot...so you know...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting blog dear blogger.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails