Monday, September 19, 2011

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Title: Anna Dressed in Blood
Author: Kendare Blake
Pages: 316
Published: August 30th, 2011 by Tor Teen
Summary: Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.(From Goodreads.com)



My Sentiments:

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake is a haunting story that begs for death and hopes for redemption. And while Anna will most likely haunt my dreams for months to come, all I can say is, it was totally worth reading her bone-chilling story.

The morbidity of Anna Dressed in Blood calls to me with its gruesome, twisted plot and exceptional character development of Cas, the narrator. Cas, fully named Theseus Cassio Lowood, is our homicidal-ghost slaying MC and he may exist among the breathing, but seems to be more comfortable in the world of death and decay. Most likely it's because he's been fighting ghosts since he was 14, slaying them with his father's wickedly, cool athame. I imagine it's also because anyone who has seen and felt as much death as Cas, doesn't relate well to those who flit through life in their bubbles of ignorance and petty grievances. Cas, who lost his father at the age of seven, brutally murdered by a flesh gnawing ghost, knows his place in the world. He kills the ghosts who kill others. It is his legacy, it is his purpose.

Handsome, sharp and clever, Cas has this way about him, this single minded sense of devotion to his cause. A devotion that seems to work its way into my heart and rough it up a bit because while I love Cas for all that he is, sometimes I wanted to kick him in the pants for his single mindedness to the point of his own possible destruction. In Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas' focus seems to narrow in solely on Anna:
Anna is descending upon me, coming down the stairs without taking any strides. Her feet drag horribly along like she can't use them at all. Dark purplish veins cut through her pale white skin. Her hair is shadow-less black, and it moves through the air as though suspended in water, snaking out behind and drifting like reeds. It's the only thing about her that looks alive.

Cas is weirdly drawn to Anna and as the book progresses I couldn't help but think he suffered slightly from Stockholm Syndrome *grins*. Which was made even funnier later on when Cas brings up his weird infatuation with Anna, himself. Therefore, blowing over some of the creepy feelings we have over the whole "relationship".

But, Anna...oh Anna...she's strong, so strong, but she's also dead. She kills anyone who enters her house, but for some reason she doesn't have to kill Cas, who ends up thrown in as a school prank by a bunch of egotistical pricks.

Anna is a macabre piece of the plot and never pretends to be anything other than what she is; a dead girl who has killed for the past fifty years and will most likely continue to kill. She has a sense of guilt, but it doesn't stop her from her demanded purpose - death. The scenes involving Anna are horrible and intense and hellacious at times with rotting corpses and tormented spirits. And all the while I was kind of sinking deeper into the gruesomeness of Anna while also catching these little glimpses of the this other girl, a girl who was alive and kind and never killed, a girl I kind of wanted to like. That is, when she wasn't dismembering bodies and shredding intestines into little bits.

But still...Cas sees this other side of Anna, this almost-alive teenage girl and while he spends most of the book attempting to kill her, he has an underlying understanding of her, too. As individual characters, I loved the sharp wit of Cas and the strength of Anna, but I didn't fully feel the direction the book took in regards to them and the emotions building between them. It wasn't because I couldn't relate to them as characters, because oddly enough I could, but because I think their relationship lacked development. I felt like there were all these hidden moments and stolen conversations between Cas and Anna that I missed out on because they weren't put into the book and without them their relationship felt slightly...lacking. And to be totally honest, a relationship between a boy and a dead girl really should never be skimped in the development department because instead of hoping for kisses, I was little bit creeped out. Don't get me wrong, I still felt something between them..that spark that makes a reader wake up and take notice, the one that makes you sigh at every glance, every accidental touch and every unsuccessful stabbing.
We're not children, neither of us. We don't believe in fairy tales. And if we did, who would we be? Not Prince Charming and Sleeping Beauty, I slice murder victims' heads off and Anna stretches skin until it rips, she snaps bones like green branches into smaller and smaller pieces. We'd be the fricking dragon and the wicked fairy. I know that. But I still have to tell her.

"It isn't fair."

Fantastically creepy, Anna Dressed in Blood is a heart-pounding, spine-tingling ghost story that ripped me apart with its raw pain, gruesome corporeal details and its noble grasp of loyalty, strength, guilt and hopeless salvation. Author Kendare Blake's debut novel took so much, making me appreciate all it gave in return. And besides....I can't help but wonder what I would do faced with Anna and her bleeding white dress.
"Nobody gets to be anybody," I snap. "We are not ghostbusters. I've got the knife, and I kill the ghosts, and I can't be tripping over you the whole time. Besides, it's obvious that I would be Peter Venkman." I look sharply at Thomas. "You would be Egon."


Kendare Blake:
I tire of writing these things in the third person. So. I write fiction, apparently mostly YA. I didn't know this, but like Stephen King says, writers are the last ones to know what it is they've written. My first novel,Sleepwalk Society is the story of four college age friends coming of age post 9/11, stumbling through friendships and love, trying desperately not to screw themselves over. My next two, Anna Dressed in Blood and Girl of Nightmares are teen horror. My short fiction can be found online in numerous places.

But enough about that. When I am not writing or reading, you can generally find me sitting around wondering what the hell I'm going to do with my life. That, or being a gastronome, plotting a new recipe. Perhaps on a run or hike, playing tennis or watching Big Cat Diaries with my feline. This summer I have saved a total of three turtles during attempted road crossings. (from Goodreads.com)





11 comments:

  1. Jen-seriously girl your reviews keep getting better and better, I love your writing...:)

    And ps- I loved this book too, I loved it so much I dont want to write a review it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME REVIEW JEN!!! I adored this book, and Cas was a spectacular narrator wasn't he? He would so be Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters:) I would have liked a little more development in their relationship too, but maybe we'll get that in the next book:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tina - Thank you so much! I've been trying so hard to find my own reviewing style and make it somewhat professional and still add my humor. I did love this book. I'm excited for the next and I know what you mean about books you love and don't want to write the reviews for them. I have one like that right now. :D

    @Jenny - Thank you!! *giggles* He would totally be Peter Venkman. I totally had to reread that part because I couldn't stop laughing. I loved Cas! I really think we'll see more development of their relationship in her next book. She really is an exceptional author! I'm really excited for Girl of Nightmares. Just the title screams READ ME, NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous review, Jen! I can't wait to read this book. The characters and the writing sound amazing. I'm all for shady characters. I've read nothing but rave reviews about it. I think I'm due for a creepy read, especially when Halloween comes rolling around. So glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An awesome review, a fab review, one that might be better than the book itself! Your sense of humour is the best part of it!

    I don't know whether I would like this one. Cas sounds like a well-rounded character but this ghostly Anna. It's perhaps only me but I suppose I would prefer somebody more...er...alive? Stockholm syndrome, right...poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rummanah - It would be an excellent Halloween read! I do love the season. *big sigh*

    @Anachronist - *blushes* You're WAY too nice! Thank you. I had to giggle a bit. I don't think it would have been so weird had the relationship been better developed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you have a way with words. Truly, I mean that. This review is flawless, and it makes me hope my review on Wednesday will be half as good! Fabulous thoughts, and I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Melissa - Thank you! That really means a lot coming from you...I love your reviews. It was a really good book. I feel like I need to pick up more Teen Horror now. I'm looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen! I love your reviews. They are so well thought out and thorough.

    I can't wait to meet Cas. He sounds pretty dynamic. I love it when a character reaches a crossroad and we get to see which road he'll take. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review... I really have to buy myself a copy of this book... sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am screaming in my head. Happy screams of course. You got this book and didn't tell me! Ah, I'm excited you read it because I cannot wait to pet my own book with this cover!

    Lovely review my dear!!

    MS

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails