Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cascade /River of Time No.2/ by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Title: Cascade: A Novel (River of Time Series: Book 2)Author: Lisa Tawn Bergren
Pages: 399
Published: June 1st, 2011 by David C. Cook
Synopsis:

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead.

But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.(from Goodreads.com)

The River of Time series by Lisa Tawn Bergren begins in present day Italy with two girls who find their way to the past. Even better than the first, Cascade,the second in the series also begins in present day Italy, immediately after the first book, Waterfall, ends. Gabi and Lia are back in their own time in an Italy that is being excavated rather than warred over. Their mother is baffled at the girls in their medieval dresses and why on earth they were in one of the tombs, fiddling around. Gabi and Lia tell their mother of the hand prints and of the medieval Italy they found. They convince their mother to follow them to the past so they can show her everything they've found and so they can also find what they left behind, a city that loves them and two men that have captured their hearts.

In this amazing tale of love and loss, Gabi and Lia will wind their way through, fighting as the She-Wolves of Siena attempting to protect all those they love and remain alive in the process. Cascade is a truly passionate story that will whip you around from one place to another, leaving you curious at the atrocities that will be afflicted upon our hard-hitting Gabi and well-aimed Lia. With surprises left and right, the roller coaster of Cascade will never let you stop for a moments peace. The magical heart of this book will light a fire in your heart and force you to never put the book down for fear of what may happen next.

Gabi has grown since book one, learning what life truly is. Her hardships push her to a stronger realization that she is not unbreakable, and that she may be strong, but she can still die. Fear and pain pump through the chapters, developing the plot and making us readers appreciate the careful crafting of life that the characters are given. Lia, Gabi's younger sister, is nothing short of amazing. Her fierce love of her sister and her ability to concentrate on her goals is refreshing and endearing. Together, Gabi and Lia provide a sisterly duo that lights up the pages of Cascade, delighting all those who plow thru the pages of this captivating novel.

Marcello and Luca are back in spades with Marcello's strong, loyal, noble heart cascading through the pages, making the reader swoon at every quotation mark and heart pound at every period. Making us want nothing more than for him to kiss us as he does Gabi, in stolen moments and hidden hallways. Luca, our wittingly, sexy comedic relief is even more in stride in Cascade and we can't help but love him even more for it. Luca is our fill of fun in a world that is as serious as death and we thank him for it, while also hoping that he will wrap us in his arms and whisper sweet nothings into our ears.

Cascade, while filling us with words of Marcello and Luca, also introduces a third man. Lord Rodolfo Greco. And while we aren't sure whether we even care for Lord Greco, we can tell that he makes the book all that more interesting. No matter that Lord Greco half drags Gabi behind his horse into the enemy city of Firenze so that he may present her to his Lords, he does it with a sense of dedication to different sides: one his city and one we aren't sure of. He captures our interest in a way we never thought a man torn by alliances could and casts our eyes to him; someone who is flawed and therefore even more real.

Cascade is a fierce flowing, high flying story that will whip you around, making your heart race and feelings soar. Lisa T. Bergren has created a masterpiece of historical proportions and when you flip that last page, your mouth will drop and you won't be able to do anything other than grab Torrent and begin anew into the River of Time series because a family from the present meeting the past will have to fight for their lives and for each other. What could be more awe-inspiring than that?

If you haven't read Waterfall, go NOW buy it, check it out from the library. This series is amazing and a must read!

Stalk the Author:
Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Buy the Books:






P.S. I'm being featured on The Unread Reader today on the feature "When I'm Not Reading". Go check it out and see what you think . :D

11 comments:

  1. I have ordered the whole series but I haven't got it yet. I might murder a postman or two if this situation continues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you describe the characters! Oh yes, kisses from Marcello and whispered sweet nothings from Luca *fans self* Gee, did it get hot in here??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I liked Gabi so much more in this second book. Her character growth was amazing and very admirable.

    And GAH! I was so freaking worried over Luca. You don't want to know how much I fretted. And UGH! Don't get me started on how many times I was shooting daggers with my eyes on Greco.

    Loved this book because of the Cascade of emotions is brought out in me! Excellent review, Jen. It totally brought back a lot of reading memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Waves* Hey, Jen! I'm a new follower and loved your guest post on Missie's blog.

    This series is on the top of my "I have to get my hands on this book/series" list. I've been following nothing but glowing reviews and am really excited to meet the characters. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GRECO!!!! Sorry. He just has that effect on me. I love how he's really difficult to figure out in this one and you're just not sure if you can bring yourself to like him just yet. Can't wait to see what you think of him in Torrent, I was a complete hussy and switched my allegiance in that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, what an awesome, caring review. When I read your words, I feel like my characters have just settled in with you for a good cuddle! I'm SO glad you're a River Tribe girl now and can't wait to hear what you think of TORRENT! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have the first on my tbr, just looking for some time to get to it! Looks like I'll be getting this one as well. This series sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anachronist - LMAO! You are so freaking hilarious. I have this image of you standing around the corner of your house with I giant rifle and a book just waiting for the postman to come your way. It's awesome.

    @Small - Yes, yes it did! *sings* It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes.... *stops, clears throat...looks around* Or maybe not. LOL!

    @Missie - GAH! I know right! Loved Gabi's development and I was like LUCA, NOOOOOO! You're going to be okay, I'll nurse you back to health. PWEEEEAAAASE!!!

    @Rummanah Aasi - HI!! I'm so glad you came by! It really is a most excellent series. Hottie alert! :D

    @Jenny - If you're a hussy, I must be a Grade A Tramp because I switch all over the place. In book 3 I was like...Greco...you can have me! I am more than willing to don a toga for you. *prrr*

    @Lisa - They may be in for more than a good cuddle, I may take them in for a romp. LOL! I'm such a River of Time girl, it's not even funny. I keep spreading to word to anyone I meet because what is better than 3 hotties from Italy??!! I'll tell you what...if those 3 hotties are shirtless *winks* {please?}

    @Melissa - You must make the time, they are so fun and amazing. I just loved the story to death. I also loved Marcello and Luca to naked death, but that is a different story all together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I don't own a giant rifle. I do have a seriously long knife and I won't hesitate to use it. I might just open a parcel with it but it is long enough for other uses...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic review! I loved this book too. And Torrent is even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im so glad you went gah, gah for this series too...:D

    And PS- Im soooo glad nobody put poop on Luca's boils....blaccchhhh...

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails