Friday, September 16, 2011

In Which I am Well Informed {2}


Do you find non-fiction objectionable? Do you loathe and abhor self-help books? Do you find memoirs so depressing you think you may go out and beat your neighbor to make yourself feel better? Well...that's how I feel. If you feel the same, you've found the right place. In my feature IN WHICH I AM WELL INFORMED I will be reading something of a non-fiction nature and I will tell you what I've learned from said item. No worries, this is going to be fun!

**I just want to preface this post by saying that all my thoughts are my own and are only meant in fun and not to be offensive. Sometimes life should be laughed at and not taken so seriously. It's better that way.**
This week's selection for In Which I am Well Informed is SLEEP by Infinite Ideas.

Are you tired of being tired? Have you suffered from insomnia for ages but are in the dark about how to stop it? Whether you are suffering from nightmares, insomnia, restless leg syndrome or sleep apnoeainsomnia, stress or your partner's snoring, the Sleep series comes to the rescue. Here Infinite Ideas reveals 10 brilliant and straightforward techniques to help deal with all types of persistent sleep problems so that you can get the sleep you deserve. More helpful tips can be found in Sleep 2: 10 more great tips for a perfect night's sleep


Okay, so why did I pick this book? I have a sick fascination with sleeping. Not that I really get to do much of it with 2 kids and a husband who feels I should be up with the friggin' rooster (if we had a rooster that is), but still...
And I don't know about the rest of you, but anyone else want to jump into that book cover? It looks so sooooofft!!

Anyway, what did I learn:

1. By far the biggest cause of insomnia is stress: This is something I'm not surprised of in the slightest. I mean, my mind is always moving a mile a minute because LIFE IS INSANE!

2.Most of us have 4-5 stages of sleep a night and each of those stages has its own 5 stages of sleep. Our deepest sleep is stage 5:REM Sleep: I've read up on sleep a lot, especially REM...this is because I'm a nerd. However, I don't know how many of you know this, but REM is when we have dreams. According to SLEEP, "your brain is as active as it is when you're awake. Your eyes dart about, while your heart rate, breathing rate and blood pressure all rise and can be erratic--this explains moments when you wake up from a disturbing dream with your heart thumping." I HATE those dreams. The ones you wake up from and you swear you have a murderer/zombie in your room about to come get you and/or your children and eat what's left of your brain. *closet lights on*

3. Muscles are paralyzed during sleep: This I did NOT know exactly, but I did crack up because someone asked the question about men and their...uhhhh...morning greeting *giggles*

Q: If muscles are paralyzed during sleep, why does my husband wake up with an erection every morning?

Isn't that the age old question. No, seriously, this is something I've ALWAYS wondered. Don't all of you deny it either, you've probably wondered as well. Well, apparently they aren't quite sure why, but they do say:
A: No one really knows. Men get erections and women's vaginas become engorged every single time a person dreams, as often as three to five times a night. However, your husband is just as likely to be dreaming about diesel trains as what his secretary looks like with no clothes on. Sexual thoughts or dreams are not thoughts to trigger these responses.

Huh. Who knew. o_o I'm not really surprised. Those dreams of Zac Efron and My Book Boyfriends
are present in my dreams more often than not. Movies and books really pop those kind of things into my dreams. A couple times I've had the BEST FREAKING dreams about a character I'm trying to write. Needless to say, those are 2 of my favorite scenes from the book I'm attempting to finish. Then again, I also dream a lot about weird volcano's and kidnappings. Who knew either could "engorge" my womanly areas. o_o

4. Ever wonder why sometimes you get tired in the middle of the day? Apparently our bodies have a drop in temperature and increase in sleepiness around midday until two in the afternoon. Interesting! I always thought this was because of eating lunch. This makes SO much more sense than that...well, unless I was digesting a GINORMOUS meal, especially one involving turkey.

5. I am an Owl: Um, not literally, metaphorically. *giggles* "Owls want to go to bed later and are slow to get going in the morning. They're normally seen running for a bus, still putting on their jackets, their stomachs groaning after missing breakfast." No matter what time I go to bed, this is me. Apparently my internal clock is just running "slightly slower than 24 hours and my daily cycle is longer". This is seriously good to know because sometimes my husband gives me way more grief than I deserve about my rough mornings.
If you are curious, there are also Larks whose body clocks "run slightly faster than 24 hours and their daily cycle is slightly shorter. So larks want to go to bed early, get up early and are irritatingly bright eyed and bushy tailed the minute they get up." Not. Cool.

6. Sleeping too little and too much IS NOT GOOD: Sleeping too little (less than five hours per night) makes sense, your body doesn't get time to recharge. Sleeping more than nine hours a night repeatedly (which is considered too much) is also not good. This surprises me though. I thought it would benefit your body, but it will actually shorten your life span. CRAZY!
7. Women seem to need about 20 more minutes sleep than men: Awesome. Anyone want to know why? It's because, and I quote, "Women use their brains in a more flexible way than men..." This means our [women] brains are working harder in the day which makes us more tired come sleep time. LMAO! Our brains are more flexible, rock on!
8. Women are better at coping with stress: Of course we are, are brains are more flexible, LOL! No, but in all seriousness, experts associate with some female hormones or because females talk it out more often then men which is one of the key ways to stop it. Interesting.

9. Insomnia is more common in older people and women are twice as likely to suffer than men: Awesome. o_o
10. Chocolate does NOT have enough caffeine in it to be considered a significant source of caffeine in regards to insomnia: Meaning, if caffeine is keeping you awake, chocolate would not be a contributor. Although, the darker the chocolate the more caffeine it contains. For it to have any sort of effect, you'd have to down "150g of dark chocolate, 30 bars of milk chocolate or 50 cups of hot chocolate". I don't know about any of you, but I now have a craving for chocolate.



Do all of you feel more knowledgeable now? Or do you just have a hankering for hot men and chocolate? Or are you feeling sleepy and would like to take a nap along with me whilst I dream of hot men and chocolate?

That's what I thought. *winks*

Sweet Dreams.


17 comments:

  1. I love this post! Mostly because I am an insomniac! It's cough2:53AMcough as I type this. Tons of interesting facts... I had no idea that we get "erections" when we dream. That is especially funny because I think my husband and I once even had an argument about it when we young, jealous and loved the drama of a good fight if I remember correctly. Bwuahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do all of you feel more knowledgeable now? Or do you just have a hankering for hot men and chocolate? Or are you feeling sleepy and would like to take a nap along with me whilst I dream of hot men and chocolate?

    I do not feel more knowledgeable but those hankerings...you know how to illustrate a story ;)

    Chocolate is good in all circumstances but when I cannot sleep I just get up and read. I've heard that a banana with some milk might make you more sleepy but I have to admit it haven't worked for me. I am an owl and I love getting up late in the morning. Oh and greetings for your husband! *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. My vagina becomes engorged 3 times a night because my husband's dreaming about diesel trains? Is that what I'm supposed to take from this? That whole section made me giggle, but I have to say, I had no idea our muscles were paralyzed when we sleep (except for the boy parts obviously). Love this segment Jen, can't wait to see what you post next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 made me laugh out loud. I'm surprised they didn't address the disorder where people have sex while they're asleep (yes, it's a real disorder and I'm not making it up!).

    I'm definitely an owl too. Must kill morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blahahahaha! Jenny's comment killed me.

    Fascinating post. I already knew I was an owl, but I still learned a lot of new things, including that I can eat all the chocolate I want before bed. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Liza - HAHAHAHA! That's awesome! Plus, it sounds like something I would fight about, just because I could. Gotta love it!

    @Anachronist - Yes, I get up and read when I can't sleep. Eating something doesn't really help.

    @Jenny - Does the hubster dream of diesel trains a lot? Never the naked secretarty, huh?

    LMAO!! Seriously, I cried a bit with that one, Jenny!

    @Rummanah - I TOTALLY believe you! But now you have me all curious, I'm so googling that asap! LOL! I love when people bring that kind of thing to my attention. I think you and I, Rummanah, were meant to be blog buddies!

    @Missie - *giggles hysterically* My kids were like, what's so funny mom? How do you explain that a comment about an engorged vagina is so funny you teared up a little. I didn't, explain. LOL!

    Chocolate is acceptable at anytime of the day! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny you take the cookie - LMAO as well! I must go and eat some chocolate now - too many calories burned while laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Shit- I feel really smart after reading that....LOL

    I could have lived the rest of my life and gone without the vagina information....good lord....

    I loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am that person who is up with the roosters...my hubby is the one who sleeps in.

    That cover does look soft...can I go back to bed now?

    Is it okay that I'm an adult and I'm giggling while reading this?!

    Would you think I'm weird if I said I don't dream? I have a dream about once every few months. I always feel left out when people discuss dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROFL!!! Jenny and Jen... The great team! Oh you two! I love it!

    That section alone was worth reading and spitting coffee all over my comp! LOL

    I have another stage. It is the doberman wanting to be up stage. Wait... 2 doberman stages. The other one is when he gets cold and snuggles. He wakes me up so I can cover him with the blanket!

    Want a doberman? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. My york wakes me up early in the morning because he cannot jump on my bed...all dogs are the same. He is too sweet to be refused.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The second I hot the bed- I am OUT! Drives hubs crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who knew that there was so much to learn about sleeping? Maybe that's why I can't sleep haha loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these posts always make me smile, Jen. Also, i noticed you're reading Anna Dressed in Blood. Are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this post, Jen! I think we need to test out that chocolate thing to see if consuming that much chocolate before bed would affect sleep. I'll get right on that. Science demands it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Anachronist - Doesn't she! LOL!

    @Tina - Oh the things we learn! *giggles* You are so welcome!

    @Lyssa - I'd like to debate anyone who is dreaming about trains. I think their test was skewed. Men who didn't want to tell the truth!

    @Jacinda - My husband is a Lark, too! Drives me nuts. And I totally giggled through the last half of the book just thinking about that Q & A. The things that amuse me...LOL!

    @Melissa - That depends, does said doberman enjoy eating brother-in-laws? I'd like mine to move out! Then the doberman can move in! LMAO!

    @Anachronist - I'd probably refuse him. My kitty is always sleeping by my feet and it drives me nuts. I usually move her to the floor or Hubby's feet because he doesn't care. I'm evil.

    @Ashely - My Hubby is the same way. It doesn't bother me too much because once he passes out I go read. Unless I'm too tired and then I pass out shortly thereafter. :D

    @Melissa - Thanks! I actually learned some interesting things, but I usually get stuck on the things that make me giggle and then that's all I remember. I'm such a child! LOL!

    @Stray - Thanks! I really did enjoy Anna. My review goes up on Monday, but I read yours and I totally agree with you. There were parts that totally spooked me, but my biggest complaint is the lack of relationship development.

    @Small - You know what's totally funny? I seriously wanted to try the EXACT same thing. Great minds, I tell yah! But seriously, after I wrote the post I went and had hot chocolate (it's still in the ninety's here o_o). Plus, every time I pull up the post, I get this craving. I heart chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails