Monday, September 19, 2011

My Book Boyfriend 6: Patrick McCalister

Hey everyone! It's Tuesday in September which means it's time for My Book Boyfriend hosted by Missie over at The Unread Reader. If you don't know what My Book Boyfriend is, it's where we pick a book boyfriend and tell you about him. For all the details, check out Missie's blog. She is an excellent reviewer and makes this meme really fun.

This week I've chosen Patrick McCallister from Working Stiff: A Revivalist Novel by Rachel Caine (review to post Thursday). Patrick McCallister is the head of security at Pharmadene, the pharmaceutical company that specializes in a very special drug. A drug that can bring people back to life. Working Stiff was FREAKING AMAZING and Patrick McCallister is the whip cream and drizzled vanilla on the banana cream cheese cake. YUM! I've chosen Jake Gyllenhaal as my Patrick McCallister:

As she sat up to get a better look around, the door at the far end opened, and Joe Fideli came in. He was followed by another man Bryn didn't know--younger than Joe, with black hair and brown eyes and skin a few shades darker than Bryn's.

...The other man, the one she didn't know, walked forward, pulled up a single aluminum chair, and sat down next to her bedside. Close up, he was handsome in a quiet kind of way, and a little older than she'd thought--probably mid-thirties.



He reached out and put his hands on her shoulders.

She stiffened and started to pull away, but there was something vulnerable in his face just then, and she stilled herself and returned his stare. Seen this close, he was much more handsome than she'd realized--fine soft skin, a dark shadow of stubble stroking his cheeks. His eyes weren't just dark; they were a rich, complex brown, rimmed with dark green. There were strands of silver in his hair...

...He was right up against her, his chest brushing hers, and she felt the tension in his hands as he continued to hold her. Instead of pulling back, he stayed where he was, as if he had more to say.

But he didn't.

"You can't really feel anything for me, can you? Because I'm not really here. Underneath, I'm...that."

"Underneath, we're all that," McCallister said, "Everybody's dying, Bryn. You're just maintaining it better than most people--that's all."

"You can't actually believe that."

"I do," he said. "I believed it from the moment I saw you wake up. I knew you were a fighter. I knew you'd break my heart."

He stepped forward, put his hands on either side of her head, and kissed her. His lips were cool, damp, sweet, and urgent on hers, and suddenly Bryn felt wildly out of control, but safe. Safe. It felt like such an amazing relief.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, and pulled her into his arms. "I said I'd never let that happen to you, and I couldn't...I'm sorry."


So, what do you all think of My Book Boyfriend this week? Who's your book boyfriend?

And, I'll say it again. This book was so amazing. I recommend it highly to anyone who likes Adult science fiction, Rachel Caine and the living dead. I'll be posting my full review on Thursday, but I will never be able to fully express how much I loved this book. It was an emotional roller coaster. I think it may be Ms. Caine's best work yet. I'm really not just saying that. *serious face*



Want to meet Bryn Davis and Patrick McCallister?
Buy Working Stiff: A Revivalist Novel


13 comments:

  1. I am waiting for your review then - it's difficult to assess your choice without having read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "whip cream and drizzled vanilla on the banana cream cheese cake."

    Way to make a girl's mouth water, friend! LOL

    Yes, I have to agree that Patrick sounds delicious. But I have to admit, I'm kind of bummed. I mean what kind of chance do I have if guys are now falling for corpus over hot blooded women like me. ;)

    Looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH WOW- You picked my favorite guy ever....Jake is so delish I could eat him with chocolate syrup...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never know how to pronounce his last name. He's got incredible eyes, doesn't he? I've yet to read anything by Rachel Caine. Should I start here or her Alpha series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YES!!! I've had this one on my shelf since the day it freaking came out! I need to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book but I'm interested now! And I love Jake Gyllenhaal, he's so adorable. Great pick :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jakie Poo! :) Love me some Jake! And you just got me to add this book to my tbr...I hadn't seen it prior to this post.

    The boxer shot!!!??? Oh my gawd!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I so need to get this and devour it now. *wipes chin*

    SWEET! ;D Great way to introduce him btw! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, THAT STOMACH! YOU'VE RENDERED ME SPEECHLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I really want to read this book!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that last quote. I haven't heard of this book so I'll be back to read the review. It sounds like a good read and a potential book boyfriend for myself :)

    Thanks for stopping by my post. I was so frustrated with the ending of Delirium, since Alex was my favourite part of the book too. The end was so dramatic! Have you read the synopsis for Book 2, Pandemonium? It is up on goodreads.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I scrolled down just to stare at the pictures. Honestly, I was about to just comment on dear Jake! I was a pool of goo when I seen him in DC a few years back. Dreamy.

    I did indeed scroll up and read what you had to say. Oops... I forgot what it all was by the time I got to the last Jake picture!

    *wipes up drool*

    MS

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails