Monday, October 17, 2011

Crave by Melissa Darnell: Book Review

Title: Crave (The Clann No.1)
Author: Melissa Darnell
Pages: 416
Published: October 25th, 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Vampires, Witches, Fantasy, Romance
Content: Kissing, minimal swearing
Summary: Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.

For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences…. (From Goodreads.com)

My Thoughts

In Crave by Melissa Darnell, darkness hides around every corner, watching and waiting for the perfect moment to come swooping in, capturing everything it has ever wanted. A relationship forbidden, Savannah and Tristan were childhood friends until one day they suddenly weren't and neither really knew why. Savannah has never understood the turn of events that took her best friend from her in the fourth grade, but years later at the age of sixteen, she still misses him.

Tristan has no idea why his parents, the leaders of The Clann, have forbade him to associate with Savannah, but he feels this pull to her, no matter what they say or do. But, will it be worth it for Tristan to give in to the pull and do what he has been told he must never do.

Crave is a story that I wanted to like, but in the end, I just couldn't get into it. I've discovered that when reading, if I look down at the percentage read at the bottom of my Kindle and I think "that's it, that's all I've read?" than the book I'm reading is just not something I'm enjoying. Crave was one of those books.

The writing, while not horrible was bland and forgettable. Crave felt more like a book I have already read a couple times before and for some reason I just couldn't find my groove amongst the words and characters. Savannah as a character had so much potential. The book begins with her waking up sick and getting progressively worse. I was really really interested in this whole aspect of the story. Why is she sick? What's going on with her? Is she really going to die? In the end, it wasn't as surprising or interesting as I'd hoped for. She turned out to be half vampire--which really doesn't give anything away as this all happens in the first couple chapters--and I suppose that the back story to her becoming the half incubus (succubus?) that she is, feels drawn out and stretched and a little weak kneed.

I would say that my biggest complaint with Crave is the dual narrative point of view. As narrators, Savannah and Tristan are extremely interchangeable and I wouldn't have known who was speaking if it hadn't been for the name at the top of their sections. A dual narrative is always hard to nail because the individual voices must be so unique that character titles, while presented, aren't really necessary. Savannah and Tristan were basically the same person. They even used the exact same nicknames for people which really didn't work because they hadn't been on speaking terms for eight years or something like that and the nicknames were not something I'd imagine a boy saying, ever.

I actually finished this book about two weeks ago, but I keep trying to think of what pushed me to finish it when I was kind of bored throughout. I think I've finally pinned it on the prologue. Now, I really don't see the need for most prologues, but in this instance it made me keep reading because I wanted to know how the story went from her being a normal and clueless human to being surrounded by people debating to kill her. I think if the book had been written better, the prologue would have been completely unnecessary. In the end it was okay, but I just didn't mesh well with Crave and its characters.
The Author
Website/Blog

The Book
Pre-Order Crave by Melissa Darnell
(Release Date: October 25th, 2011)


10 comments:

  1. I haven't heard a lot of good reviews about this one, I think I might just skip it. -.- I feel the same way though - if I'm not like something I'll keep looking at how many percent I have done and think the saaaaame thing, "WHAAAAAT I'M NOT EVEN CLOSE TO FINISHED?" ;P

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, some serious flaws in this one. It's never good when you just keep glancing at the page count instead of forgetting about everything around you. I will definitely pass but thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, too bad! I love dual narration, but it really, really has to be done right. If you have to look at the chapter beginnings just to see who is talking, yeah, that's not a good sign. Neither is constantly looking at the page numbers/percentage. I'm sorry to hear this one didn't work out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this book is for me. With books that are lackluster, I usually just read the dialogue in hopes that I'll get interested or just finish the book. Thanks for an honest review, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!!! I hate when dual narratives become blurred!!! Meh... At least the cover is gorgeous! I'm thinking by the number if crappy reviews I've read that this may be a library book no matter how pretty the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is actually the second review I've read of this story today that said much the same. Sorry it wasn't as great as the cover. I know what you mean about multiple narrators and the need to make sure they have very distinguished voices or all is lost.

    Hope your next read is better, kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm... darn. I was so looking forward to this one. I have it on my review pile. I do love your review as it will help me when I read it. I'm not a fan of multi narrators. It's hard to accomplish well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @BCL - Exactly! That's when I know I'm bored out of my mind. What, I've only read 20%? I feel like I've been reading this book for a week! I just couldn't get into it.

    @Anachronist - You would probably have a field day with this one. It's right up there, in my book, with HALO.

    @Small Review - I've read some dual narrations that rocked. Maggie Stiefvater rocks the dual prose. I always know who is talking in her books. Cole St. Clair...you rock my world! o_o

    @Rummanah - I think even the dialogue bored me. It just wasn't what I hoped for.

    @Ashley - Go library! If you end up feeling different, then you can buy it. I do love the cover!

    @Missie - Kid? I keep telling Hubby I'm not a kid, LOL! He is 14 years older than me so I always feel the need to tell him I'm an adult. LMAO! Yah, this one wasn't my fav.

    @Melissa - I was looking forward to it, too. I really loved the cover and vampire books usually always a win for me. This one...not so much. Maybe you'll feel different, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I told you how much I love your reviews???

    Well even if this one sounds lackluster, your review makes it kind of sound good...:D

    I wasn't planning on this one anyway but I love the cover...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was not planning for this one, but I did really like the cover.

    Have I told you how much I love your reviews? Even though this one sounds lackluster, your review makes me want to read it and see why....lol

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails