Monday, October 3, 2011

Silver and Stone by J.D. Thompson Review

Book Type: ebook
Published: August 3rd, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Content: Swearing, Sex and Talk of Sex : I recommend this book for an older YA audience.
Summary: Welcome to high school high society hell, where last season’s slingbacks can warrant a lunch table demotion, the wrong date will knock you off the it-list and behind every pair of oversized Chanel sunglasses lies a secret people are dying to keep.

As if senior year at Weatherford Preparatory School wasn’t hard enough, sixteen year old Alexis Bardolph had to add school outcast to the curriculum.

A new found notoriety following a family scandal, her lacrosse star boy-friend dumping her for a former BFF and a string of perpetually bad hair days were among the many things going wrong in her already turbulent teenage life.

But when the haunting nightmares that have plagued her since childhood begin to take an eerily tangible form and several Holler Creek residents are reported missing, Alexis can’t help but wonder if there isn’t more to her hellish dreams than meets the eye.

The unexpected arrival of a mysterious and dangerously handsome new student ultimately leads Alexis to troubling truths that not even her wildest imagination could have conjured. (From Goodreads.com)
My Thoughts:

Silver and Stone by J.D. Thompson is a melancholy tale about a haunted young girl and the skeletons in her closet that are fighting to break down the door. Silver and Stone has many similarities to other books I've read, but Ms. Thompson adds her own small twists into its depths, making it her own surprising plot.

Alexia Bardolph, our sixteen-year-old narrator, has been having a succession of horrendous nightmares every night. In these nightmares, something is chasing her, wanting to kill her before she can reach safety. They appear to be just dreams, but she feels something in them, something that tells her that maybe they are more than they appear, and that if she can escape whatever is chasing her she will be safe. Alexia cannot escape the inevitable, though and she feels that she deserves whatever bad thing is coming for her as recompense for having murdered her own mother. Her mother's death shadows her at every step, harboring within her broken soul and taking with it the life she once knew.

Except for the police, no one seems to care about the circumstances, only that Alexia is a killer and she must face the backlash of her actions. When the article is published on the front page of the city newspaper, all those people she thought were her friends turn on her, mocking and harassing, casting her aside like a used napkin. Everyone that is, except for her two best friends, Logan and Amber who inconsequentially provide a lovely amount of comedic relief to an otherwise serious story and Theo, the boy who has been her friend since childhood.

Alexia has a difficult time pulling herself from her depressive state, even with those who are still behind her. Then, to add insult to injury, her baby sister, the one person she thought would always support her, joins the ranks of those who hate her. Alexis' world has been flipped upside-down,thrown against the wall and dropped off a cliff, but she must fight to survive her emotions and her nightmares.

Ms. Thompson's writing was quite captivating all throughout Silver and Stone, making me glad that I picked it up. Alexia is an interesting character in that sometimes I really liked her and wanted to give her the hug she so needed and other times I wanted to bash her on the head with my stapler for her thoughts and actions. She seemed so weak at times and I wanted her to be more ballsy and tell off her sister and all the people who were there tormenting her. Then again, who am I to judge Alexia, a young girl who not only lost her mother, but is the reason she is dead?

And while I thought she deserved happiness after what she has been through, Alexia didn't agree with me. I cannot quite explain my feelings toward Alexia, only that I wish she could have seen her strengths. Lucas Alexander, her newest neighbor and the love interest in Silver and Stone, sees them and cares for her, but for a lot of the story I didn't trust him. I wanted Alexis to realize that it took more than a boy to fix her; she needed to find her inner strength, but then again at sixteen, I had similar thoughts of love and life. Thoughts of boys helping me fix my pain instead of helping myself. I can hardly blame the girl, Lucas Alexander was sexy and sleek and when you feel like you're drowning in a sea of pain and loneliness, a boy who doesn't think you're a pariah would be heavenly and life-saving.

I had a little trouble with Lucas at first. I think the development of his character in the beginning was not quite fully there and I felt like I was missing a piece of him. It made him feel kind of two-dimensional. I would have loved more beginning dialogue between Alexis and Lucas so that their first kiss felt more real and three-dimensional. All the dialogue that was there, I loved. It provided Lucas with life and love and made my heart pitter-patter. 
The abrupt hush of conversation as we walk past people is hard to ignore. I'm so embarrassed I feel like crawling under a rock and taking up residency there for life. I strongly consider mimicking Amber's great escape and making a run for it when I feel a smooth hand grab my own. I look down and see Lucas's fingers intertwined in mine. My dark hazel eyes meet his and Lucas smiles wickedly.

"If they're going to talk, let's give them something to talk about shall we?" (Kindle ebook: Location 539)
I do feel though that Ms. Thompson rectifies this problem as the book progresses and I slowly grew to like Lucas and by the end, while I almost hit him with a lead pipe at one point, I actually ended up loving him in the last scene (although, I hope Alexis doesn't let what he did with Olivia go! Not cool, Lucas!).
...Our lines of vision finally meet, sending a jolt of sheer electric energy through my body, a surge of heat expanding from my toes all the way to the top of my head. Our faces grow closer and closer, until our foreheads touch and our lips are mere inches apart. Lucas breaths heavily, each exhalation sending gusts of sweet air onto my cheeks. Having a mind of their own, my hands tentatively touch his exposed torso, shamefully running my fingers up and down his body. I'm like a diabetic in a candy store; I have no will power...

...[Lucas] looks at me with with a fire in his eyes that I have never seen before. I suddenly feel more naked then he with his piercing green stare looking right into my soul.
(Kindle ebook: Location 1526-1536)
A book inducing complicated emotions, Silver and Stone is engaging and unusual. The look at the internal makeup of high-school tiers of society was quite typical, but it never failed to make me giggle because I never seem to tire of teen angst. Amber and Logan, Alexis' best friends, were beautiful and mouthy and the perfect backup for Alexis' weak personality traits, giving her the pushes she deserved and having her back at all the right moments. Theo, the boy who has been Alexis' friend since they were kids also rocks the pages with his merciless flirting and brilliant mind. I don't think Alexis appreciated her friends as she should have, but I really hope she sees the goodness in them and realizes that they may understand her more than she realizes. And Lucas, while gorgeous and perfectly muscled was also sweet and kind [mostly] and he was there for Alexis when her own family wasn't. I will definitely give him that.

The Short of It: 

While Silver and Stone is a story I may have read before, I also felt that Ms. Thompson gave it her own spin making it fresh and enjoyable by the end. And while some of the character development started off lacking, it eventually caught up as the book progressed and I can honestly say I enjoyed the characters and the plot. This is all coming from someone who has not liked the subsequent list of angel books she has read lately. So I can definitely say that I enjoyed Silver and Stone and I'm excited to see what Blood and Champagne, book two in the Bloodlines series by J.D. Thompson, will hold.

[I just want to add that while the secondary characters to the book were in fact, secondary, Theo, the only other person to not snub Alexis is my favorite character. He was barely in the book, but I really wanted him to get the girl. He was sweet and original and in my minds eye, his subtle good looks make him shuper smexy...even if Lucas is *supposedly* more gorgeous. I don't think model good looks make certain personality traits acceptable. *Team Theo*]
J.D. Thompson is a photographer by day and closet writer by night. She views writing in much of the same manner in which she views art: it’s all about creation. J.D. has a love for words in general and is fascinated by the way a few simple sentences combined with one’s imagination can build a whole new universe on a single sheet of paper. In 2003 she attended the University of Moncton, where she majored in Visual Arts Studies and minored in English Literature. She is currently living a quaint rural town in the chilly northern peak of New-Brunswick, with her husband and young daughter. Silver and Stone is her first completed novel.

VISIT THE AUTHOR: blog/facebook/twitter
BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon - $0.99
Smashwords - $0.99

I received this book free of charge from the author in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

9 comments:

  1. Oh a great, long, detailed review I loved to read. You made several very good points. Whereas I would be rather wary of another book about teenage angst and high school hell (indeed done to death) your review made me think "maybe, just maybe".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice that despite the similarities to a lot of other books there's still enough new and unique things to keep your interest. I always like a girl that can recognize her own strengths without the help of a boy, but like you said, at age sixteen I'm not sure I was that way at all so it's understandable. Hadn't heard of this one before, thanks for the review Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A two-dimensional love interest? My heart just deflated a little. :(

    But then again, this one does seem like more of Alexia's journey, so maybe that's why the romance fell flat.

    I think now a days, with how easy it is to access books, more than most stories start to feel a bit familiar, so it's great to come across those that stand out in very unique ways.

    Very insightful review, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jenny that after reading a large amount of books that it's sometimes hard not to think that they are all have a similar story. I'm glad that the author brought something new to the plate and while the romance may have been flat, I liked that it's more of a journey of the heroine. Great insightful review,Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think this one is for me, but I loved your review. I loved the way you became violent with the characters. No judgement from me, because at least now I feel like I am in good company. LOL Oh I do feel that way about characters some time... even if they have good reason for behaving that way! :)

    Brilly review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anachronist - It was good, but it reminded me a lot of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I loved that book, but this one didn't have quite the same feel to it. Maybe because Bella wasn't so depressed and didn't kill her mother, LOL!

    @Jenny - It's always so hard for me to read books where the female needs a male to complete her/save her. I try to realize that when they are YA books that I actually thought those stupid thoughts when I was that age. Now, I know better. But, there were some twists at the end that made me end up like the book more. Plus, Alexis gets in some good quips with Lucas. I just wish she would have punched him or something. LOL!

    @Missie - Yeah...that was hard for me too. I think that it would have been better if Lucas had more dialogue. Plus, I think the whole hook up happened too fast. I wouldn't say love at first sight, but it was all fast. I need that evil drawn out tension in a relationship. It makes that first kiss worth while.

    @Rummanah - I think that killing your mother would have been something almost impossible to get through. The opening scenes were perfect for the scenario, but the added relationship was hard for me. I wanted Lucas to be...more and I wanted Alexis to be...stronger.

    @Melissa - You are most definitely in good company. I usually look around to see what's heavy enough to beat them with for not making the right decisions...and when I say right I mean the decisions I would have made. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, I think we were all like that at 16... The perfect guy was perfect (for 5 minutes) and was all we ever needed... Gah! If I only knew THEN, what I know NOW! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds like a great read! Despite similar themes, the story sounds like an original follow-through, which is really what I need :)

    Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stapler! Great choice of a weapon to head bash with!

    I understand your feelings regarding Lucas!

    awwww Theo :(

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails