Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Book Boyfriend 7: Cricket Graham Bell

Hey everyone! It's Wednesday which means it's time for My Book Boyfriend hosted by Missie over at The Unread Reader. If you don't know what My Book Boyfriend is, it's where we pick a book boyfriend and tell you about him. For all the details, check out Missie's blog. She's an excellent reviewer and makes this meme freakishly fun! I've been missing out on this for several weeks because of work and life, but I'm so happy to be back this week.

This week I knew exactly who I wanted to do for MBB, but finding the right person for him wasn't easy. In fact, I don't even know if I've truly picked the right person because in my head he looks different than he does in the book...LOL! Hopefully that made sense. Anyway, I'd like you all to meet Cricket Bell from Lola and the Boy Next Door. He's 6'4" tall with the bluest eyes you've ever seen. He has this internal energy that is always bursting out of him. He's animated and exuberant and he's always ALWAYS writing on his hand. (I've chosen Casey Jon Deidrick for my Cricket)

"Cricket, you're...tall."

Which is, quite possibly, the stupidest thing I could say to him.

Cricket Bell was always taller than most boys, but in the last two years, he's added half a foot. At least. His slender body--once skinny and awkward, despite his graceful movements--has also changed. He's filled out, though just slightly. The edge has been removed. But pointing out that someone is tall is like pointing out the weather when it's raining. Both obvious and irritating.

"It's the hair," he says with a straight face. "Gravity has always been my nemesis."

And his dark hair is tall. It's floppy, but...inverted floppy. I'm not sure how it's possible without serious quantities of mousse or gel, but even when he was a kid, Chricket's hair stood strait up. It gives him the air of a mad scientist, which actually isn't that far off. His hair is one of the things I always liked about him.

Until I didn't like him at all, that is.



He's grown up and grown into his body, but it's still him. The same boy I fell in love with in the ninth grade. My feelings had been building since our childhood, but that year, the year he turned sixteen, was the year everything changed.

I blame it on his pants.






"So you believe in second chances?" I bit my lip.

"Second, third, fourth. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. If the person is right," he adds.

"If the person is....Lola?

This time, he holds my gaze. "Only if the other person is Cricket."






My eyes open, and my heart is in my throat. "Cricket...I'm not that."

He stops pinning my hair. "What do you mean?"

"You've built up this idea about me, this ideal, but I'm not that person. I'm not perfect. I am far from perfect. I'm not worth such a beautiful story."

"Lola. You are the story."

"But a story is just that. It isn't the truth."

Cricket returns to his work. The pink roses are added. "I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else."


And if I'm the stars, Cricket Bell is entire galaxies.
[Lola, Kindle Location 3966]

Okay, so this picture is actually James Marsden, but Cricket dresses like this. His pants always a little bit short--on purpose--and everything matching and coordinated, perfectly.

So, that's my Cricket Bell. There were so many quotes I wanted to use, but I didn't want to give away the best parts. I love Cricket more than I can explain to anyone. I don't feel like he's wholly represented here because Cricket is so much more than I could ever explain in this post. [you can read my review of Lola by clicking this link]

24 comments:

  1. I feel like everyone has read this book and fell for it even more than they feel for Anna.

    Cricket sounds fun, amazing and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh he is sweet looking....although I like older guys. I normally dont fall for the YA guys...(er Adam doesn't count) but this one seems easy to fall for........

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just had to come back with a bang, didn't you!

    I love those quotes. So swoon. And if Cricket looks like Casey Jon Deidrick, then I'd blame it on more than just his pants, but his pants would be a good starting line. LOL

    I'm the only person on this planet who hasn't read these books yet, and it's downright criminal! I need to throw myself in book jail then shallow the key!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I Blame it on his pant" LMAO best line ever ;)
    Cricket Bell sounds swoon worthy with short pants and his matching coordination, I think I have another book to put in the TBR.
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cricket seems to be a pretty popular book boyfriend! I really need to get on reading lola...I love the "I Blame it on his pants" quote! Seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Dissolves into a puddle of goo* OH MY SWOON! He's sounds terrific, Jen. Seriously, I got the warm, butterfly in stomach thing going on right now and I've yet to meet this guy. LOVE the "blame it on his pants" and the "hair" line. I'm going to fall hard over this guy, I just know it. Must get LOLA now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think you picked perfect! In some of the pictures he's not as good but in others I think he's perfect... And the clothes totally make him cuter! LOVED this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lisa - I absolutely loved ANNA! This one is just different. Cricket is just different. I don't know why it all just pushes the bucket, but it did.

    @Tina - Right! I don't normally either, but I want Cricket like it's not even funny. In my head he's a lot older so it works. ;D

    @Missie - Yes...yes it is. o_O I love these books. They are comforting, funny and just YUM!

    @Smittin - YES! I laughed so hard when I read that. At one point she even tells him so. LOL!

    @Andra - Lola is indeed awesome! Hope you read it, it's just amazing!

    @Rummanah - You MUST! I think you'd love Lola. Then again, you read my review, I'm addicted to Cricket and Lola. Gosh I love them!

    @Candace - It's so hard to pick out a guy sometimes. And I agree, some work more than others. The first was my favorite. That guy is actually 6'4" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. where did you find this hunk of a man? Casey, is it? Hubba hubba! :) I will definitely be bookmarking your page for future visits <3

    Diana @ The Lovely Getaway

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know!! I need to read this ASAP! I'm tired of hearing how amazing it is... I need to know! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Diana - LOL! I stormed IMDB forever one day...by height. He's totally a soap star. *giggles* The first pic IS my favorite! *licks lips* YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What could be added - a great addition to your harem, dear Jen! I just hope your husband looks like him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. *fans self* My oh my! Me likey! Love those swoony quotes too. Can I just say YUM??? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. ugh. i still have to read lola, but it's so far down on my list. cricket sounds awesome. :)

    Here's PiF's

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhh I need to meet Cricket myself. I'm stalking the mail boys waiting for Lola to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh fantastic pick. I really love the last picture with James Marsden. That definitely captures the way Cricket dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Cricket!!! He was fantastic and awesome in every way. I love the actor you picked for him, he is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummm, you do realize that you just utterly sold me on LOLA, right? Because you did. SOLD.

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You picked an AWESOME guy for Cricket! My favorite books are the hardest to pick a guy for MBB! I don't want to disappoint!

    I love the perfect/imperfections quote!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am totally in love with this guy now! Another post is about him, and he stole my heart in that one and continues to in this post!! He is just so cute! I am loving it!! I am going to pick up this book ASAP! - I am sold! hehe. Fantastic choice for this week!

    My Book Boyfriend was a little late being posted, so if you have time check mine out :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. CRICKET!!!!! I think you cast him perfectly Jen, he's kind of quirky but oh-so adorable and I want to pounce on him:) This was such a cute story, I need more Stephanie Perkins!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Cricket! He does soo dress like Cricket. I have to get my own copy of this book for my shelves. (I checked out a copy from the library)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Anachronist - LOL! No, Hubby looks NOTHING like I picture him looking. Shhh...don't tell Hubby. ;D

    @Melissa @B&T - Definite SWOON! Have you read this one??

    @Kira - He's totally awesome! I think everyone should read him to see what he's made of. Absolute win!

    @Belle - LOL! Waiting for books is kind of like Christmas as a child. :D So exciting sometimes I feel like I won't be able to sleep. :D

    @Cialina - Right! I love James Marsden. He looks like what I think Cricket would grow up to be. Kinda. :D

    @Must Love Books - Thanks! I love Cricket, too! *sigh* He rocks my socks off.:D

    @Melissa@Iswim - YAY! I hope you finally pick up Stephanie Perkins books. They are so good. They are romances more than anything, but I love them!

    @Jacinda - I know, Right! I think it's because in our heads they are beyond definition or something. :D

    @Jacquelynne - I'm so glad you love him. I hope you do read it, Cricket is one of my very VERY favorite people. I'm so stopping by! :D

    @Jenny - RIGHT!!! :D I love how quirky he is. I'd also like to jump him. OMG, I just love him. *fangirling right now*

    @Tasha - I got mine as an ebook, but I *WANT* a hardback for my shelves as well! I just love it and I want to be able to hold the book, too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jen!!!

    You're the week one winner of Take My Book Boyfriend Home. Check out my list of Book Boyfriends and e-mail me your selection!

    Thanks for participating. <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails